Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - day 5

Cruising...

GX9_Feb5_23_couple_in_toy_car#3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Deer Island in the Merrimack River between Newburyport and Amesbury Massachusetts. Last summer a five year old boy fell in the water and was swept away by the strong current. His mother and seven year old sister went in after him and were also taken by the current. The mother and girl were pulled from the water by a boater who saw them in distress. The girl survived. The boys’ body was found 72 hours later by a kayaker in the river.

My house is a couple of miles upstream of Deer Island on hill above the river. Coast Guard helicopters flying up and down the river at the level of my back yard are are always bad news.

I went out there this morning because I thought the light might be good to get a photo of a bridge abutment I’ve been trying for and found this.

Deer Island Memorial.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Paul, much as I like the shot, I wasn't aware of you joining us in SiF 23! If you didn't mean to: Occasionaly "daily" shots find a better home in the "Today" threads (even though that "Today" challenge invites you to keep going for as many days as possible - not a month, though).

M.
I thought I did join Matt. Maybe I didn’t follow the right process I guess?

Ziggy resting in the shade
A bit of a cop-out shot, but it's a hot and humid Sunday afternoon, and I doubt I'll be out and about picture hunting anytime soon today

View attachment 363451

Beautiful cat - haven't seen many totally whites cats .......

Hot and humid here as well, but I did venture out with the dog after work. Felt guilty he'd been cooped up all day.

I thought I did join Matt. Maybe I didn’t follow the right process I guess?
I found an early declaration of intend, but only in the general discussion thread ("The next 'Single in' ..."), not the actual announcement thread; you're of course free to choose your gear, but shouldn't switch back and forth during the challenge (which you did); that's why I was under the impression that you hadn't actually entered; I should have asked earlier, though.

Maybe look here again:

I added you to the list, but I'm pretty sure the gear's not the one you're intending to use througout(!) the challenge - sticking to the chosen setup is really key to the whole thing!

M.

I found an early declaration of intend, but only in the general discussion thread ("The next 'Single in' ..."), not the actual announcement thread; you're of course free to choose your gear, but shouldn't switch back and forth during the challenge (which you did); that's why I was under the impression that you hadn't actually entered; I should have asked earlier, though.

Maybe look here again:

I added you to the list, but I'm pretty sure the gear's not the one you're intending to use througout(!) the challenge - sticking to the chosen setup is really key to the whole thing!

M.
Ok, thanks Matt. Sorry - I'm guilty of not reading the instructions! I've just suddenly got crazy busy too (Slovakia last week and now Basel later this week!). Maybe I'll wait until the next one!

Ok, thanks Matt. Sorry - I'm guilty of not reading the instructions! I've just suddenly got crazy busy too (Slovakia last week and now Basel later this week!). Maybe I'll wait until the next one!
You're always welcome to continue using your phone - you did well with it, and you'd be the only one to use a phone this time around.

Of course, being busy isn't conducive to completing a "Single in" - but it's possible; I should know ...

You decide - I'll certainly not mark this attempt as "dropping out" if you choose to pass this time :)

M.

Last edited:
Back