Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - discussion

We have a very sick cat - this was Ziggy last night and he's been at the vet since early this morning, where he will be sedated, have x-rays taken and haemotology done.
Clearly I'm somewhat preoccupied so there may be a gap in posts or at the very least no 'meaningful' photography will be taking place

View attachment 365963
Virtual hugs to Ziggy. Hopefully, he recovers soon.

Well, I'm glad I decided to use the RX100 VII for this month's challenge so I could spend some time shooting with it.

Sadly it's pretty much proving that it might not be a camera for me. It does have advantages and if I had found an RX100Va instead of the VII I'm pretty sure I would keep it after the challenge. But I'm not sure I want to keep this much tied up in it.

I'm using the (bought 3 weeks ago, so totally new to me) Nikon Z fc with the Z 28mm lens for this month's challenge.

So far so good; I'm enjoying the colours and focal length. That said, my general walkabout lens is the Fuji 27mm, so it's familiar territory.
I do find that images have lots of distortion and need to be rectified in post (I'm rather OCD).

Strange comment, maybe, but the one thing that bothers me about the camera is the sound of the shutter. I don't want to go into
'Silent mode' because I quite like the confirmation beep on focus acquisition, but is there a remedy for shutting up the shutter sound?

I'm glad I chose the xiaomi Yi 42.5 f/1.8, because using it as a walk around has made me realise how good it is for the $$$, and that I should take it out more. So far I haven't done much creatively, as we've had cyclone Gabrielle through, and while I haven't been really directly affected, it is devastating to see the destruction of people's lives, homes and livelihoods. It is surreal to be living just 15 minutes away from areas that are destroyed, and yet where I live, barely be touched. Still a few days to go, so will try to be more creative, or at least try something different.

I'm going bananas using an ultrawide only! 😆 I totally needed to shoot a couple of other lenses as well this weekend: a 35 on film yesterday and a 90mm on my ancient M9 today. (Still carried and used the M10 + 21mm combo, so I'm not totally slacking!) I don't know if this is good idea, or should I just concentrate on finding more ways to make the 21 work...

Anyone else find their chosen gear getting on their nerves? :)

I'm using the (bought 3 weeks ago, so totally new to me) Nikon Z fc with the Z 28mm lens for this month's challenge.

So far so good; I'm enjoying the colours and focal length. That said, my general walkabout lens is the Fuji 27mm, so it's familiar territory.
I do find that images have lots of distortion and need to be rectified in post (I'm rather OCD).

Strange comment, maybe, but the one thing that bothers me about the camera is the sound of the shutter. I don't want to go into
'Silent mode' because I quite like the confirmation beep on focus acquisition, but is there a remedy for shutting up the shutter sound?

I haven't found a way, but it hasn't really bothered me.

I'm just not gelling with my Zfc. The little 16-50 is one reason. The articulated screen is another, I thought leaving it in-place like a fixed LCD would remedy that, I was wrong. It's close enough to the control scheme of my X100F I thought it would be a no-brainer like, and again I was wrong. Not a bad camera, love the looks, and the lens is really good for what it is, but this just might not be a camera for me. Still have some thinking to do.

I'm going bananas using an ultrawide only! 😆 I totally needed to shoot a couple of other lenses as well this weekend: a 35 on film yesterday and a 90mm on my ancient M9 today. (Still carried and used the M10 + 21mm combo, so I'm not totally slacking!) I don't know if this is good idea, or should I just concentrate on finding more ways to make the 21 work...

For me, no. But the 16mm at the wide end is needed for all the indoor snapshots, so it is what it is. If I were out and about, it probably would be getting on my nerves a little.

I've had that happen to me before - but I allow myself several (usually two!) cameras because I'm doing two daily challenges. That said, I'm very happy with how usable the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II has turned out to be on the Z fc - I wouldn't have dared hope it would work so well.

That said, I'm fallen for another super-wide, and I think I'll add that one next (if the Z 26mm f/2.8 doesn't arrive earlier than expected): the Panasonic 9mm f/1.7 looks exactly like the lens I've been looking for - and it certainly seems to be a really nice performer (we have the fortune to see it in action during SiF!).

M.

P.S. Just ordered the Panasonic 9mm; it makes such a lot of sense that it wouldn't make any to wait ...

Last edited:
I’m using a 12mm on Fuji, so 18mm equivalent (on 35mm) and I am finding it okay. That said, my ordinary go-to lens is the Fuji 16/1.4 so I already working wide angle most of the time.

I had planned to do more “small stuff” pictures but the 12mm is actually too wide for my backdrop, even at its closest focus distance (I discovered that taking the picture of the invitation on the table earlier this week).

@MoonMind

Didn't want to clutter the daily thread. The FAS just doesn't work for me, never has. I thought I could deal with it, but I was wrong. One of the reasons I've been getting increasingly frustrated with camera gear.

I understand others like them, but for me and the way I hold cameras, especially in odd positions and for tripod use, the FAS can be especially aggravating. I'd honestly prefer a fixed rear LCD over a FAS.

Definitely a personal taste thing.

I'm finding the RX100VA a bit limiting, after 3 weeks fairly solid usage. The battery life is poor and the viewfinder, while clear and bright, too fiddly for anything except emergency use. It has many good qualities, it can produce some very nice output and as a backup/trip camera it would have its place, I'm sure. I know, I've had several earlier versions and shot thousands of photos with them, so I should have known what to expect. But this model doesn't quite gel for me. Perhaps I'm simply missing the feel of a larger camera?

The one thing that has surprised me about the 7Artisans 12/2.8mkII is that I don’t mind the clickless aperture ring. I returned a Meike 35/1.4 a few months ago because of the clickless aperture, so I decided that they were a red line for me. However, when I first saw the 7Artisans lens and realised a) it was cheap; b) it was close focusing; c) it was cheap; d) it has a 67mm filter thread and finally (and most importantly) e) it was cheap I decided to give it a punt. I’ve found that I can pretty much judge what aperture it is by feel (I think because it has a relatively short throw from f/2.8 to f/16 and I have never once felt annoyed with it not clicking on aperture stops.

The one thing that has surprised me about the 7Artisans 12/2.8mkII is that I don’t mind the clickless aperture ring. I returned a Meike 35/1.4 a few months ago because of the clickless aperture, so I decided that they were a red line for me. However, when I first saw the 7Artisans lens and realised a) it was cheap; b) it was close focusing; c) it was cheap; d) it has a 67mm filter thread and finally (and most importantly) e) it was cheap I decided to give it a punt. I’ve found that I can pretty much judge what aperture it is by feel (I think because it has a relatively short throw from f/2.8 to f/16 and I have never once felt annoyed with it not clicking on aperture stops.

The CV 50/3.5 Heliar version IV has a clickless aperture ring. Once I got used to it, it wan't a problem. Beautiful lens.

Too bad my eyes don't play well with manual focus these days, all my manual focus stuff is gone. I miss some of those lenses.

Too bad my eyes don't play well with manual focus these days, all my manual focus stuff is gone. I miss some of those lenses.
I started on Fuji with manual lenses then went all in on Autofocus but seem to have come full circle but with modern lenses. I’m still thinking a lot about the Laowa 9mm but also considering buying another copy of the Samyang 21/1.4 which I still miss

Well, I'm glad I decided to use the RX100 VII for this month's challenge so I could spend some time shooting with it.

Sadly it's pretty much proving that it might not be a camera for me. It does have advantages and if I had found an RX100Va instead of the VII I'm pretty sure I would keep it after the challenge. But I'm not sure I want to keep this much tied up in it.

I'm having the same experience with the lens I chose. SiF goes until Feb 28, right? My posted pic on "Day 29" may just be on the buy/sell board :giggle:

Your chosen lens - the 21mm Color-Skopar - is an awesome lens, and you're creating some really cool stuff with it this month. That said, I don't blame you - I don't think I could shoot all-21-all-the-time for a whole month. An option could be when you find a good subject, shoot it with your 35, 90, and 21mm lenses and focus on emphasizing each FL's strengths. That could give you a diversified portfolio for the month and not drive you batty doing the ultrawide-only thing.

My lens this month (35mm Color-Skopar) is most definitely on my nerves, but simply because I've never really been a 35 guy. And this month isn't going to make me one. In lots of years of photography, I've just never bonded with the focal length: I've bought and quickly sold a number of 35's over the years (including this very one previously). But that's precisely why I chose to work with this lens this month for SiF; sort of a month long test under a variety of use conditions. But again, I'm finding that with a 35 mounted it's like I'm fighting the lens to work with me. At least (I guess) if I get a cool shot with it, I can feel like I won a battle. But a battle isn't what I'm looking for when I raise my camera to my eye, so I think this lens' days - like those of my prior 35's - are quite possibly numbered.

Your chosen lens - the 21mm Color-Skopar - is an awesome lens, and you're creating some really cool stuff with it this month. That said, I don't blame you - I don't think I could shoot all-21-all-the-time for a whole month. An option could be when you find a good subject, shoot it with your 35, 90, and 21mm lenses and focus on emphasizing each FL's strengths. That could give you a diversified portfolio for the month and not drive you batty doing the ultrawide-only thing.
It may just be that an ultra-wide (21mm is borderline in that category in my eyes) *you can't really get close to subjects with* can be a burden. I've shot way wider lenses (I'm not sure about everything, but I remember the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 fondly) and found the experience to be rather refreshing, even uplifting. But: Whatever lens I've chosen so far in that regard, they always had the ability to get really close, so I could actually fill the frame with a subject if I wanted.

Remember: Carrying *additional* camera/lens combos isn't against the rules if you need a bit of respite. But depending on how you "work", the SiF combo should always come first whenever you're shooting. It pays to tune into whatever subject matter works best for *that* setup. If you find something else, you can always break out the alternative for a spell.

I sometimes need gear that will stand up to the weather (hence the G1X III), and a sufficiently versatile zoom on longer walks in order not to have to let too many opportunities pass. But I'm really lucky this time around - I can make things work with my SiF setup alone most of the time. At f/2.8, the lens balances focus point sharpness with pleasing bokeh very nicely, at f/5.6, it's a nice enough landscape/cityscape/street lens, from f/4 to f/8 it works for most subjects. And wide open, it has the signature dreaminess of a vintage lens. I have to say that I consider this a very lucky pick - and a fortunate one: I wasn't sure whether the lens was a keeper. It would have been a real pity to move it on without giving it another chance.

That said, I may try its predecessor in another "Single in" - that lens is *way more* capricious, but I liked its character a lot back when I was shooting it on its native Sony E mount (on an A6000). And I have a dumb E to Z adapter ... We'll see.

At the moment, I feel tempted by the ongoing discussion to do the next challenge (Single in September 2023) with a super-wide; maybe the Panasonic 9mm f/1.7, but more likely something more exotic. I have just the thing - the Laowa 9mm f/5.6 for M mount. Yep, full frame ... I'm not sure I should do something *that* crazy, though.

M.

For me, no. But the 16mm at the wide end is needed for all the indoor snapshots, so it is what it is. If I were out and about, it probably would be getting on my nerves a little.

Not getting on my nerves, but I did switch it out today, for flexibility in some post Gabrielle cyclone images, as I knew I wouldn't be able to zoom my feet, due to the silt and water in places. Still did the SiF day 20 though ....

Back