Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023: Here we go again ...

It definitely has! I made myself use a Minolta and Xiaoyi 45.2 last week and loved the output! So must do that more often.

Edit: I actually had the Xiaoyi 45.2 on the camera ready to go out last week, and at the last minute, changed it - to "you know what"! :)

I haven't been carrying a bag much recently, just taking a camera and lens, and checking the battery before I leave. But the weather has improved, so I might start carrying a bag and taking two or lenses ..... We've the wettest summer I can ever remember.
One of my sisters and my best friend from Uni days live on Auckland's North Shore. They have been been sending me updates on the flooding situation, together with photos and video clips taken on their walks. Aucklanders have really received a thumping. I hope that it's better where you are.

One of my sisters and my best friend from Uni days live on Auckland's North Shore. They have been been sending me updates on the flooding situation, together with photos and video clips taken on their walks. Aucklanders have really received a thumping. I hope that it's better where you are.

Yes, Auckland and the Coromandel have really had it bad! I feel so sorry for them, and I imagine many of the people affected are likely to not have insurance for their house contents, as some quite poor areas affected. Just going to add to the problems for homeless people, as I think many will become homeless as a result of this. It has highlighted the stupidity of past decisions regarding the siting of houses, as in, right next to loops of streams, and on known flood plains. Also the lack of storm water drain infrastructure .....

While we've had excessive rain, and still have green grass, unheard of at this time of year, we haven't had the devastating flooding and consequent destruction of property.

@Rose McGill Rose, no offense meant, but would the "Xiaoyi 45.2" be the Xiaomi Yi 42.5mm f/1.8? Otherwise, definitely a lens I wasn't aware of ...

M.

Haha - yes, you're correct! My excuse is that I have had very busy two days at work, and half asleep! The truth is I can never spell that lenses name, and it seems to cause some sort of dyslexic malady, that I don't usually experience!

Sorry @MoonMind but I think I must make a slight alteration to my lens selection for the SIF project. I was recently made aware that will have a need for a slightly wider FOV for some other things this month (indoor/family) and I'd like to truly shoot with my selected kit only, I'd like to change my lens selection to the XF 23mm f/2.0 instead of the 35 previously planned. Still plan to use the X-T3. I hope it's not too late to change.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm really waffling on the choice of gear. I think I ruled out the manual focus TTartisans lens, mostly because I like to stop down somewhat in order to reliably obtain focus. But it's still winter and further north than I have been before, meaning less light. Added to that, I like to keep the EM5II at or near base ISO as much as possible. Also, most of my shooting opportunity is just going to be during my walk/bus/sometimes-drive commute, where having something that can easily slip into and out of a pocket definitely makes a difference in whether I actually stop to take the shot. I'm considering a last-minute switch to the GRIIIx, which wouldn't be new or unfamiliar except inasmuch as the new negative film JPEG profile could be my commitment. I'll decide really soon here.

The Single in February 2023 (SiF 23) challenge is approaching.

What it's all about:
  • One camera!
  • One lens!
  • One month!
  • One image a day!
The key rules and considerations:
  • Take at least one image per day during one month - and post (only!) one image to each day's thread. It's desirable to post the image on the very day it was taken to get into the groove and keep up the flow.
  • Specify the gear you're going to use for the whole challenge beforehand - and stick with it. You may even try to shoot your chosen setup exclusively for the whole month - however, you should only try this if you're sure you can make it.
  • Personal restrictions and additional demands you set up for yourself may help boost your creativity. A word to the wise, though: If you put too much pressure on yourself, it'll probably hurt rather than help.
  • Interact with other participants, talk about the images you take and see as well as your own experiences related (or unrelated) to the challenge - in short, let's talk, have fun together and support each other.
There will be daily treads, an outtakes thread every eight days and a discussion thread for exchange and support.

For those concerned: We're carrying on with the "Today" challenge as well, as per usual.

If you have previously announced your participation in another thread, please repeat it here - including your gear decision.

N.B. The seven-month cycle is starting now; for more on that, see this post. So, the next "Single in" will be run in September 2023.

Your host,
Matt

Participants and their chosen gear:
  • Andrew (@agentlossing): Olympus OM-D E-M5 II with TTartisan 23mm f/1.4 or Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
  • Andy (@AndyMcD): Fujifilm X-T3 with 7Artisans 12mm f/2.8
  • Bob (@Bob T): Panasonic Lumix GX85 with 25mm f/1.4 (I)
  • Bob (@rpthomas): Panasonic Lumix GX9 with Olympus 25mm f/1.8
  • Dan (@Acraftman): gear TBD ...
  • Dave (@Alberta Dave): Olympus OM-D E-M5 II with Pergear 35mm f/1.6
  • David (@davidzvi): Sony RX100 VII
  • Don (@donlaw): Leica M10 Monochrom with Super Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 OR Nikon Z 6, lens TBD ... OR Leica Q2
  • Fred (@fredlong): Fujifilm GFX 50R with GF 50mm f/3.5
  • Gerard (@copescamera): Fujfilm X-T20 with 56mm f/1.2 (I)
  • Glen (@Glennn): Panasonic Lumix GX8 with 35-100mm f/4-5.6
  • Gordon (@gordo): Fujifilm X100F
  • Henry (@HenryBH): Panasonic Lumix G100 with 9mm f/1.7
  • Irene (@Irene McC): Nikon Z fc with 28mm f/2.8
  • Jens (@JensM): Panasonic G9 with 42.5mm f/1.7
  • John (@mnhoj): Fujifilm X-T5, lens TBD ...
  • Karen (@Briar): OM Systems OM-1 with Olympus 12-100mm f/4
  • Larry (@griffljg): OM Systems OM-1 with Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8
  • Mark (@mpeterson): Leica M10 with Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5
  • Marko (@MarkoV): Leica M10 with Voigtländer Color Skopar 21mm f/3.5
  • Martin (@theoldsmithy): Sony RX100VA
  • Matt (@MoonMind): Nikon Z fc with 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II
  • Miguel (@MiguelATF): Panasonic GX9 with 15mm f/1.7; b&w using L. Monochrome D filter
  • Richard (@RichardC): Panasonic Lumix S1R with Irix 11mm f/4 (adapted)
  • Rob (@Robmas4229): Fujifilm X-T3 with 35mm f/2
  • Simon (@Simonix): Fujifilm X-T5 with 27mm f/2.8 II
  • Steve (@drd1135): Fujifilm X-S10 with 27mm f/2.8
  • Timo (@Iron): Pentax K-3 with Pentax M 28mm f/2.8
  • William (@William Lewis): Leica M 240 with 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1
2023-01-29, 19:20 CET
Interesting. As of today, there are no Canon bodies in this list.

Sorry @MoonMind but I think I must make a slight alteration to my lens selection for the SIF project. I was recently made aware that will have a need for a slightly wider FOV for some other things this month (indoor/family) and I'd like to truly shoot with my selected kit only, I'd like to change my lens selection to the XF 23mm f/2.0 instead of the 35 previously planned. Still plan to use the X-T3. I hope it's not too late to change.

Thanks,
Rob
You can basically change your mind until 23:59 CET on January 31st ... later if push comes to shove, but I'd appreciate things to settle down once the challenge is on its way.

M.

I've been debating joining in since this was announced but the idea of having to take a photo each day is a bit scary since I sometimes struggle to get out and about with a camera once a week. That said I need a challenge and some motivation, and exercise, so I'm going to say I'm in with Panasonic G100 and P30mm f2.8 macro. Took it out for a spin along with another camera and lens on Saturday and suffice to say even with the OIS I've a number of out of focus photos due no doubt to my movement so this is going to be a challenge on that front too. Been too reliant on dual stabilisation recently :unsure: Only thing with the macro is that if i can't get out, it makes taking photos inside more interesting.

Last edited:
Okay, I am in. Sorry for the late notice. I'll be using my new Fuji X100F.
As I am usually shooting birds or bugs at 400 mm or more, 35 mm will be quite a challenge for me and take me way out of my comfort zone.
But at least with the X100F I'll look good, even if the photos don't.

Thanks to Matt for the time spent running the show.

Russ

They have been been sending me updates on the flooding situation, together with photos and video clips taken on their walks. Aucklanders have really received a thumping. I hope that it's better where you are.
It was bad on the 27th. The forecast was just around 40mm/hour if I am not wrong then it became 230mm for a few hours then 249mm. There were traces of flooding damage everywhere but the good thing is, the cleanup in many areas, was rather quick. There was a lot of community spirit, actually. Even rubbish dump is made free by the transfer stations!
Yes, Auckland and the Coromandel have really had it bad! I feel so sorry for them, and I imagine many of the people affected are likely to not have insurance for their house contents, as some quite poor areas affected. Just going to add to the problems for homeless people, as I think many will become homeless as a result of this. It has highlighted the stupidity of past decisions regarding the siting of houses, as in, right next to loops of streams, and on known flood plains. Also the lack of storm water drain infrastructure .....
So much for houses that cost a lot aye. I wonder how the flooding will affect the housing market.
You can basically change your mind until 23:59 CET on January 31st ... later if push comes to shove, but I'd appreciate things to settle down once the challenge is on its way.
So SiF will start at 01 Feb CET? Cheers.

It was bad on the 27th. The forecast was just around 40mm/hour if I am not wrong then it became 230mm for a few hours then 249mm. There were traces of flooding damage everywhere but the good thing is, the cleanup in many areas, was rather quick. There was a lot of community spirit, actually. Even rubbish dump is made free by the transfer stations!

So much for houses that cost a lot aye. I wonder how the flooding will affect the housing market.

So SiF will start at 01 Feb CET? Cheers.
Yes, CET - but I'll prepare the threads in few hours, so you won't have to wait for long.

There'll be daily threads for your main shots, four outtake threads for seven days each (this time around - usually, they're for eight days) and a discussion thread.

M.

Ok. D day is here.

Final decision on gear for me will be:

Fuji XPro2 & TTArtisan 35mm f0.95.

Sorry for all the indecision the past week or two @MoonMind 😂

6E8BF67B-063F-478D-BB65-6832623824A1.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Alright, my final gear choice is going to be a test of accessories rather than core camera/lens. I'm going to shoot exclusively the new negative film JPEG profile on the GRIIIx, but also picking LCD screen off. My accessories will be the wood and metal hand grip I bought awhile back, and the Voigtlander 40mm hotshoe viewfinder. So I'm going to use this a bit like a film compact, either AF or snap focus as the situation warrants. This should help by forcing me to use the viewfinder and seeing how that affects my framing.

PXL_20230131_172506193.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back