Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - outtakes day 15-21

I enjoyed taking this one, but not sure about the end result
XT3A5616.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walking around the hotel area in Louisville, Kentucky this afternoon, it was immediately apparent that these things are well respected here:
Bourbon (seems really popular here, Jim Beam is distilled here amongst others less well known)
Louisville Slugger Baseball Bats
It is the birth place of Mohammad Ali who's boxing signature was float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
So this cup with alternative spelling for the city's name is adorned with boxing gloves reflecting that fact.

L1000944.jpeg

Day 16 Outtake:

Trying to take a photo of the Manly Boat Harbour after sunset, when a fast moving seagull decided to photo-bomb.

OM1G5306.jpg

And another outtake..... I was trying to take a photo of the Port of Brisbane from across the water in Manly, when I was again photo-bombed by two seagulls. If you want to look at the effect of rolling shutter in action, take a look at what happened to the seagull on the left edge of the photo:

OM1G5308.jpg

Last edited:
Day 16 Outtake

After my official photo today - of a small dog wearing a coat outside several large stores - I realized that one of the stores had pet supplies, and I needed cat food. So I went in...and discovered they had a number of parakeets as well. They don't look quite as colorful in monochrome...but here they are.

GX9_Feb16_23_parakeets@pet_store.jpg

Feb 17 outtake. My post in the main thread today was a view from my table at a local BBQ restaurant. Yes'm, camera in one hand, chicken sammich in the other. The place is huge (maybe 150-200+ tables) and has a collection of authentic vintage signs throughout. Hundreds and hundreds of signs collected by the original restaurant owner family over decades. This mirror thing appears to have come from some establishment (perhaps a train station) advertising businesses in the town of Madrid, Iowa. By the way, that would be pronounced "MAD-rid" here; nearby is also Nevada, Iowa, pronounced Nuh-VAY-duh). Not sure exactly what era this sign is from, but I'm guessing 1910s: the phone number for "Perrier Market Quality Meats" is simply "38" and "Central Cleaners" is "43." A quick google seems to indicate four-digit numbers came in to this region in about 1920.

MSP-20230217-L1000630-Edit.jpg

This one was kind of fun in color, too:

MSP-20230217-L1000630.jpg

Feb 17 outtake. My post in the main thread today was a view from my table at a local BBQ restaurant. Yes'm, camera in one hand, chicken sammich in the other. The place is huge (maybe 150-200+ tables) and has a collection of authentic vintage signs throughout. Hundreds and hundreds of signs collected by the original restaurant owner family over decades. This mirror thing appears to have come from some establishment (perhaps a train station) advertising businesses in the town of Madrid, Iowa. By the way, that would be pronounced "MAD-rid" here; nearby is also Nevada, Iowa, pronounced Nuh-VAY-duh). Not sure exactly what era this sign is from, but I'm guessing 1910s: the phone number for "Perrier Market Quality Meats" is simply "38" and "Central Cleaners" is "43." A quick google seems to indicate four-digit numbers came in to this region in about 1920.

View attachment 366702

This one was kind of fun in color, too:

View attachment 366704

Old Americana like this is cool and interesting. As well as different regional pronunciations of the same/ similar words.

Even though I'm a dinosaur not-a-dinosaur, I remember alpha-numeric phone numbers and party lines.

Old Americana like this is cool and interesting. As well as different regional pronunciations of the same/ similar words.

Even though I'm a dinosaur not-a-dinosaur, I remember alpha-numeric phone numbers and party lines.

Glad you enjoyed it. Alpha-numeric numbers pre-date me a bit, but now I'm going to have Pennsylvania-six-five-oh-oh-oh stuck in my head all night :LOL:

Glad you enjoyed it. Alpha-numeric numbers pre-date me a bit, but now I'm going to have Pennsylvania-six-five-oh-oh-oh stuck in my head all night :LOL:

Will enjoy any more you post as well.

KI7-xxxx was the first home phone number I remember, party line. We got a private line a few years later when our town got it's own exchange and the numbers went all numeric.

And there was always Junior Samples and his used car lot, Samples Sales, at BR-549.

KI7-xxxx was the first home phone number I remember, party line. We got a private line a few years later when our town got it's own exchange and the numbers went all numeric.

And there was always Junior Samples and his used car lot, Samples Sales, at BR-549.

Haha, Junior Samples - now there's some Americana!

I remember my grandmother had a party line when I was really young. My parents had a private line, so I recall thinking the party line was really strange. Same city, I guess my grandmother's part of town just got updated later.

Back