Single in January 2012 - immortalised in print?

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Luke has come up with a great suggestion to commemorate our month together in January with a SiJ photobook. As I said in that thread this has been done with previous "Single in" challenges and turned out to be an excellent memento - please see a full preview example here.

Not wanting to put the cart before the horse, the idea of the book would be to showcase 4 images or so from each participant - as selected and voted for by the troupe. We can discuss more granular details if, and when, the idea gets any legs.

So please use the vote buttons above to let us all know your thoughts on the matter.

I'm in. As I mentioned in one of the discussion threads, I think if half a photographer's images were chosen by vote and the other half by themself a good compromise would be reached. As the book is for all those contributing images it would be good to have some input into what is included and from reading the comments there is quite often a considerable discrepancy between people's tastes.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

While I am normally fine with whatever the group wants to do, I do not really understand the need to vote on any images other than the ones for the front and back cover. If some would feel better asking opinions on which images to use fine, but I do not think it should be a mandatory process. Let everybody chose their own four favorite images.

I think this is a good idea, also from the point of view of promoting the forum by showcasing some of the great photography I've seen here. If done right, I can see regular releases and the Serious Compacts photobook series helping to set the standard in great non-DSLR photography.

it's a good idea providing that we can overcome the practicalities of choosing 4 images per person - (or accepting that each person chooses their own 4 images - which would be a lot simpler) - or a 50/50 compromise, (i.e. - individual chooses 2 and forum 2).

I'm inclined to say pick your own but I'd also find it interesting to see which of my four images the group is most interested in. Make it an advisory vote and I'm all for it. The nice thing about a vote on each persons images is we would all feel a bit like winners.

Despite the fact that I also wasn't aiming for popularity with my images (sideways images being a case in point), it may help me improve my photography to see what a group of unusually talented image makers judge, out of this set, to be my best .

one other thing to think about is some of us may need to send in bigger files than the ones we posted here
Dead right Bob, and this caught me out first time. I posted all 1024px on side images and the book needed 3000px @240dpi if memory serves...I actually lost many days trying to reconstruct what I did to the RAWs to get them there in the first place. Wasn't using LR then so no presets or history saved :dash2: Valuable lessoned learned there, and now all jpegs are drawn from a saved full-sized TIFF.

In respect to the 4 images. I'd be happy for there to be the option, i.e, choose 4 of your your own, or if you're stuck - or even debating between a couple - then send it out to vote. Personally I'd rely on what I like mixed with the comments....this way I might not just print 4 cow shots ;)

I think the group (thus far) is coming to a bit of an agreement in that we needn't have to vote, but the option should be available if the photographer is wishy-washy (nothing wrong with that.....I think I'm in that group).

Good point about the size and quality issues. Wish I had saved the original before downsizing for posting. Doh!

I was so tempted to choose option #4 - because the word "abhorrent" is sooo dramatic! However, I went with numero uno.

I'm with Bob re letting the individuals choose their own photographs. Honestly, I'm more interested in my own choice for my own pictures...as interesting as it is to read what other's are turned on by...which I also appreciate...but if I'm going to purchase something that my pix are in, I want them to be my favorites...self-centered as that might sound. Front and back photos up for vote are fine by me.

One thought I have is, when picking my own 4, is to ckeck the comments for each one. That gives some insight, as to what others thought about each one, to give some weight to my choice. And yes, I'm in.

Back