Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a change of plan, when nothing presented itself during the rather dull day that we've had, I found my Leica M in my hands and before I knew it I was snapping some pics...... I left it so late that I knew the A7R would give me a fair bit of grief getting a decent shot in low light with it's shutter shock habit whereas the Leica with it's lovely shutter does rather better and I find myself getting not too shabby shots at 1/30th by and large. So there it is, now I'll be using this with the Zeiss 50 1.5 Sonnar.

I had a change of plan, when nothing presented itself during the rather dull day that we've had, I found my Leica M in my hands and before I knew it I was snapping some pics...... I left it so late that I knew the A7R would give me a fair bit of grief getting a decent shot in low light with it's shutter shock habit whereas the Leica with it's lovely shutter does rather better and I find myself getting not too shabby shots at 1/30th by and large. So there it is, now I'll be using this with the Zeiss 50 1.5 Sonnar.

women - always changing their minds!!

Happy New Year Christina …….. it should be warm in Spain ….. we are off to S Africa mid Jan

I got a late start today due to being up way too late last night and then doing some cleaning up in the morning. But it worked out pretty well I got quite a few shots I'm going through right now so it's going to be a tough decision on which to post.

Clearly, I did not hit the "post quick reply" button after having written a long explanation of why I am switching cameras. So I'll make this one short. GRD is dead as a dodo. Dont know why. Its never failed to respond to being plugged in to download shots but today... its dead. I did get a few before this. Switching to V1+10-30mm for the rest of the month. I'll post something from this morning. From tomorrow, Nikon1

Clearly, I did not hit the "post quick reply" button after having written a long explanation of why I am switching cameras. So I'll make this one short. GRD is dead as a dodo. Dont know why. Its never failed to respond to being plugged in to download shots but today... its dead. I did get a few before this. Switching to V1+10-30mm for the rest of the month. I'll post something from this morning. From tomorrow, Nikon1

Bummer about GRD. The V1 should be a good choice. My Coolpix A gave me 3 totally out of focus shots out of ten. But it was raining and we were trying get the photos very quickly. Didn't even check them until I got home. Never happened with the camera before.
If that continues to happen then it is off to Nikon to be checked. Hopefully not, but if so I have to switch here at the beginning.

After going through today's images I think I'm going to really enjoy using the 40-150. It gives me some flexibility with its range but I'm going to try and limit myself to compressing the scene. Really enjoyed it today and was a tough decision on which image to choose.

Am already seeing limitations to my old IR converted Canon G5. LCD is virtually useless since it's displaying a limited colour range with low contrast. The screen is something like 1.8" so using the optical viewfinder is better as it's full colour.

Here is a straight out of camera shot which I'm posting for Day 2.

On a positive note the SiJ has piqued my interest which has been flagging lately.

IMG_0010.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Must say the verve already evident here brings a little tear to this old man's eye - coz to me that's what this photography malarky is all about, and why cameras were even made - not be ogled and traded but to be shot, to be used to create and have the user find that little bit of creation within them. Some great shots already, and I like that folks are getting their eyes in - spying shots for subsequent days. By day 30 I reckon we'll all be looking at the world in terms of a 28 or 35 or 50 or.....jeez even 40-150mm....frame lines.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the tone and general attitude of the comments in the gallery - makes it a pleasure to contribute.

Other than that, I find it quite appealing to have an additional incentive to actually go out and shoot: I probably wouldn't have left my flat yesterday, but my last-minute rush to get a worthwhile picture turned into a nice little photography-centered walk. That alone was worth it - and the image turned out better than I had hoped for, too.

M.

Already, finding that my lens choice is quite "binding" for every day use. The '50' on 4/3 is quite long, for wide vistas and tight spaces. And, I knew that going in. But, in recent months, I have found myself shooting wider than my history would show. So, having to work a bit harder at this, which isn't a bad thing. I have gotten quite lazy in recent month, as my avatar might indicate. :redface: :)
I also trying to limit myself to only one shot each day. Working, at making each shot count, as if I were shooting high priced film, on a very tight budget. We'll see how long that holds up.
First cup of coffee is down. Let the day begin!

Dumb question - for one or two shots (I'm only thinking a week at a time), can I switch to another combo strictly for safety reasons? I could get closer to the subject, but it means crossing a very busy and poorly lit road, which I'd rather not. For this purpose, I'd rather use a long lens and stay within safety parameters. Otherwise, I'll have to save that subject for a different time.

I made a bold decision this morning. While dropping off trash at the county dumpsters, I encountered the rather messy remains of several deer who clearly didn't look both ways before crossing the road. Despite the hard hitting contrast with yesterday's swan, I decided to pursue a gentler daily snap.

Armando, we are all committed to one camera and one lens for the sake of the shots we share here. But there is nothing stopping you from shooting whatever you want for any other images you want to capture this month. Learning to work within the limitations is a part of the challenge.

Don't let it bog you down. There are a million photos you can create without crossing that street and only 30 more days to fill.:)

Am already seeing limitations to my old IR converted Canon G5. LCD is virtually useless since it's displaying a limited colour range with low contrast. The screen is something like 1.8" so using the optical viewfinder is better as it's full colour.

Interesting. I actually pulled out my old Canon G6 which hasn't seen any use in 5 years. Thought about using it for about 5 seconds until I looked at the LCD and decided to use my Coolpix A instead :D. Are there still places that do IR conversion on these older cameras?

I always liked the design of the G5 better than the G6. Great little lens on both of these though.

-Thomas

Armando, we are all committed to one camera and one lens for the sake of the shots we share here. But there is nothing stopping you from shooting whatever you want for any other images you want to capture this month. Learning to work within the limitations is a part of the challenge.

Don't let it bog you down. There are a million photos you can create without crossing that street and only 30 more days to fill.:)

Thanks Luke. Will have to rethink that shot!

The ride is good and I'm glad I saddled up for the SIJ trail. It's great to see some old familiar faces again, as well as to meet some new photo pals.

One thing that I keep saying is "I really have to start using one of my old 'real' cameras again." I do like the immediacy of my phone, yet I still do enjoy the post processing though these days its via Snapseed and/or the VSCO app. The possibly negative thing is that I have started to wonder if I would enjoy the Sony RX III - love the 24mm equiv. field of view and it is apparently nice and small.:blush:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back