Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa up here a minute! Sounds like we got a bunch a loose girths and slippin' saddles. Time to regroup, put on a band aid or something, and have a snack and a drink from the canteen. Have a look around, and see what there is, all around us. What you see, that looks so normal and boring, ...I've never seen in person. So describe it to ME, with a picture story. Show me your kitchen, your living room, and your back yard. I'd like to see what you see. My posted pictures are all right around my house. I'm trying to bring you into my world. This is where I live and enjoy. I'd like for you to share it with me and my wife. So little by little, in 31 pictures, I'm inviting you in, to visit us. Sit a while and, also share with us a bit of your life. Please? This web site is my photography "home". Let's get acquainted. :friends:

Good one Steve. Great motivational post! Here is my world right now - sitting in the warmth of Book & Bar in Portsmouth, New Hampshire processing and uploading my Day 6 shots.

SiJ-2015-trisberg-Extra1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SiJ-2015-trisberg-Extra2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-Thomas

I'm also struggling to master the new-to-me X100s - far more than I expected to. I'm getting a significant amount of camera shake, to the point that I am considering testing on a tripod to see if it's me or the camera...

I'm also using X100S first time "seriously". And boy I missed my X-T1 in some occasions but overall I'm happy that I chose this opportunity to learn this marvelous camera. And extra burden, I only use OOC JPEGs, only cropping and scaling to 1500pix allowed :)

Wow, did y'all see a rattlesnake?

Woowee, so many wanting to unhitch the packs and head on home. I was going to talk to how natural it is to feel the need to bail when you can still see home. But moving on a bit and getting closer to the halfway point it gets better - not necessarily easier but better. Sorta like when you give up the smokes. The first few days are the hardest - you're not feeling any benefit and you're just going without, but with a little more time under your belt you start seeing some return on your investment. It's even harder to let go the smokes if your mates all light up around you again. So for those who can ride on a little further - maybe take a swig from your canteen and massage your butt cheeks a bit, but stay true and centred in the saddle.

But I need not wax lyrical as Steve said it damn fine here - good on ya mate (y)

Whoa up here a minute! Sounds like we got a bunch a loose girths and slippin' saddles. Time to regroup, put on a band aid or something, and have a snack and a drink from the canteen. Have a look around, and see what there is, all around us. What you see, that looks so normal and boring, ...I've never seen in person. So describe it to ME, with a picture story. Show me your kitchen, your living room, and your back yard. I'd like to see what you see. My posted pictures are all right around my house. I'm trying to bring you into my world. This is where I live and enjoy. I'd like for you to share it with me and my wife. So little by little, in 31 pictures, I'm inviting you in, to visit us. Sit a while and, also share with us a bit of your life. Please? This web site is my photography "home". Let's get acquainted. :friends:

I had some 'men' in this morning, dealing with the mosquitos and the roaches. While they did useful things involving scary chemicals I took a notion to do something about my chronically underperforming Nexus 7 (original version) which was not best pleased about being 'upgraded' to Android 5. A few tutorials and considerably more time than planned later it was unlocked, rooted, flashed and other things I don't understand and is now humming along nicely on something called Slimkat. Having passed the entire morning I decided to head out, camera in hand, in the afternoon. Following lunch, though, I was distracted by the latest batch of new books and so the afternoon passed in a comfy chair with many cups of tea. By now it was teatime and I thought of popping out briefly to take a few shots, but to tell the truth I couldn't be arsed (which my auto complete insists on presenting as 'assessed').

The upshot is that today's SiJ contribution from me is a picture of the bookshelf where my new books are stacked awaiting an appropriate space. So Steve, this is my contribution to the 'normal and boring' of home.

Stupid question here - When uploading days 3 and 6 I chose the Single in January (not Single in January 2015) gallery. Can these be moved? What are my options?

Stupid question here - When uploading days 3 and 6 I chose the Single in January (not Single in January 2015) gallery. Can these be moved? What are my options?

I just moved your garbage (the subject.....not the quality) shot for you to see how it is done. On the right hand side of your photo when viewing in the gallery there are "user options". Click edit photo and then you can just choose the correct gallery. Let me know if you don't see it.

I just moved your garbage (the subject.....not the quality) shot for you to see how it is done. On the right hand side of your photo when viewing in the gallery there are "user options". Click edit photo and then you can just choose the correct gallery. Let me know if you don't see it.

Thanks Luke - that did it. I was mucking around under "My Photos" to see if it could be done there.

I'm right there with you Luke. I think the high here is 2 and the low is suppose to be -10. So I think today is gonna be another shot out the window day or maybe a close up of something inside.

Jared, Ivor, Luke...fellas. When you guys are saying cold - and quoting numbers like "2" and "-10" you talking celsius or fahrenheit? I assume the latter, if so...:eek:
I'd just spent last night reading and article in my favourite magazine Black+White Photography (UK) - no not the 'other' B+W :blush: And they were talking through some still life photography. There's a lot to learn there - as it looks mighty easy but.... there'd be what I was doing until the weather turns into more decent numbers. I really applaud you northerners for enduring this challenge through the depth of Winter...and I mean a 'real' Winter. Here in Oz I probably suffer the coldest with a maximum low of about -10...but we talk in celsius in our civilised parts.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. For those of who prefer the Celsius, we just peaked today at -17 with the sun shining. And with a hearty breeze our wind chills are an eyeball-watering -37 (again Celsius, but once it starts getting this cold, the unit of measure seems to matter much less).

So the dogs run out to do their business and then they run right back in. Same for the photographer.

Yea fahrenheit. Luke is a little more north than me but the temp is only a few degrees off. When you walk outside and you catch that first gust of wind it takes your breath away. I can handle it if its above single digits, when it gets lower than that I try to stay in.

I can handle it if its above single digits, when it gets lower than that I try to stay in.

This is also my cut-off for walking the dogs. Once it goes below 10F, we don't walk. It's just not worth it. We had a really bad cold snap last year. The weather man kept trying to find funny new ways to show off how cold it was. I liked when he took a squirt gun filled with water and when he squirted it straight up in the air, it would come out of the gun as water and hit the ground as ice.

Oef my symphaties for the really cool guys here..

As for my problems today:drama: nice sunny day here, took some quick shots during my lunch break but not really happy with either of them. Guess I have to take more time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back