Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've debated about posting in here, so I'll keep it brief. I did explain more in my yesterday's (January 5th's) photo. Don't want to derail this thread at all. I'll just say here that I so appreciate everyone's photographs (many which I haven't seen - yet) and everyone's reactions to my own. Not sure if I will be able to fully complete this challenge, but I will see how it goes.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.:drinks:

The gallery IS confusing. Pictures don't stay put, They move around. It seems to me that they get moved to the front of the line, if someone comments on them, or some random reshuffle. Very disconcerting.

The gallery IS confusing. Pictures don't stay put, They move around. It seems to me that they get moved to the front of the line, if someone comments on them, or some random reshuffle. Very disconcerting.

Yeah, I don't really understand how the gallery works. I just try and block out an hour of time and comment on a bunch and use the arrow that hovers over the photo to navigate to the next one

Ah yes but this is actually the cool thing about the Gallery. You order images how you like....
Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find Display Options. My default is to Sort By: "Posted Date" (Order: Ascending" of course) - then I can view uploads chronologically and comment on those I haven't. But then when I want to view the latest comments then I Sort By: "Last Comment". Here I can look at responses to previous posts, etc. So here the Gallery gives me better control of viewing - which I like. Much like I quickly change the default Per Page: from a piffling 12 to something where I can see the last the photo I commented on....often that's "Per Page: 45" :eek:

I use following options to browse image, this way I get the new ones on top of the page.

SiJ 2015 Gallery sorting 1.png

SiJ 2015 Gallery sorting 2.png

Sorry folks, I hate to say it but I'm throwing in the towel this time. I'm really struggling with external factors and I currently don't have much time participate.

Don't feel guilty (I think we all know how real life can get a grip on you). I've enjoyed your entries so far tremendously, and will see many more cool things in your Flickr stream I guess.

I'd echo that. Life gets in the way, sometimes. Absolutely no reason to feel guilty. If something you are doing for fun ceases to be fun, stop doing it - simple. For my part, I start a new job next week and I have no idea how busy I shall be from Tuesday onwards - time will tell!

I confess I am finding it harder this year; two reasons - I took a lot of the obvious, around-the-house shots for the last SiJ and I don't think it would be right to repeat unless I have "something new to say". I'm also struggling to master the new-to-me X100s - far more than I expected to. I'm getting a significant amount of camera shake, to the point that I am considering testing on a tripod to see if it's me or the camera...

I confess I am finding it harder this year; two reasons - I took a lot of the obvious, around-the-house shots for the last SiJ and I don't think it would be right to repeat unless I have "something new to say".

Ditto. I look around for something new... nothing. I looked at my gear at the beginning and couldnt decide what I wanted to use, and then when I decided on the GRD, it karked, permanently... I think I'm going to be out, too. I'm constantly wishing I had decided on this camera or that, for this shot or that, but I eventually committed to the Nikon 1 and 10-30 and its not what I want. I guess I'm just not there with it, this time round.

Echoing my thoughts today..... we were here 3 weeks ago and I seem to be traversing much the same territory so not finding any inspiration at all! Deleting the vast majority of the shots I've taken today..... :( Also wishing I'd taken the A7R, autofocus is a wonderful thing, especially in bright sunlight where I'm constantly cupping my hand over the vf.

Well... I picked a focus length that I find hard to previsualize, so I am challenged enough. The good thing is that it's hard to redo last time, since that was an entirely different focal length. Today was the first day of work, and the first day I needed a grab shot. This doesn't bode well for future days.

Funny how it works. Yesterday in a quick twenty minute walk I got a shot I really liked. Today I walked for three and half hours and came back with a lot of junk most of which I deleted. I ended up with six shots that were decent but no more. The one I posted is a bit of a cheat since I was behind a fence and couldn't get closer to the kids in the picture. So it's a really, really tight crop. Is that cheating? Tomorrow everything will be better.

This is certainly challenging especially this time of year as the weather is awful and there is not much daylight in the northern hemisphere, but this is all part of the challenge. Some days we'll be in the right place at the right time, other days, we're going to need our thinking caps on. If you think you've had a bad day photography wise and you think your photo's may not be up to standard, don't worry, just put one on the gallery. What you might think is not that good, other people might think what you have taken is great.

Like many of you I have a hard time finding time during work days. Looks like I have to get used to shooting at night. It's also getting coder, much colder. I guess we'll just push through, hoping for more light over the weekend.

-Thomas

Whoa up here a minute! Sounds like we got a bunch a loose girths and slippin' saddles. Time to regroup, put on a band aid or something, and have a snack and a drink from the canteen. Have a look around, and see what there is, all around us. What you see, that looks so normal and boring, ...I've never seen in person. So describe it to ME, with a picture story. Show me your kitchen, your living room, and your back yard. I'd like to see what you see. My posted pictures are all right around my house. I'm trying to bring you into my world. This is where I live and enjoy. I'd like for you to share it with me and my wife. So little by little, in 31 pictures, I'm inviting you in, to visit us. Sit a while and, also share with us a bit of your life. Please? This web site is my photography "home". Let's get acquainted. :friends:

It's funny but I joined Facebook to continue to hang out with friends from all over the globe when our favourite politics website went all 'moderatory'. Even though I regularly post pictures FOR them so they can see Scotland as I see it, I forget all about that when posting images here. It's probably because we're all photographers and as a consequence I tend to dismiss images that you guys would enjoy as much as my 'friends' currently do.

Thanks for your post Stephen, it woke me up. :2thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back