Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my safeties this AM but the Wind Chill alert just kicked in at 1700h and is in place until 1000h tomorrow. My safeties are usually during the AM commute - around 0730h, so Thursday's round should be really interesting. Today I jumped out of the car, framed and fired about five and got back in to beat the traffic. I may end up looking for something I can get to without having to exit the car.

This is also my cut-off for walking the dogs. Once it goes below 10F, we don't walk. It's just not worth it. We had a really bad cold snap last year. The weather man kept trying to find funny new ways to show off how cold it was. I liked when he took a squirt gun filled with water and when he squirted it straight up in the air, it would come out of the gun as water and hit the ground as ice.

That might make a good photo. I was out there today, getting my books etc. I felt lazy for not wanting to go out so I did. Just walking to the school bookstore from the parking lot and my glasses were so cold on my face it hurt. And then of course going inside.. the fog. Bleh.

Just finished browsing images - haven't actually counted them but there seems a preponderance of B&W images. That's not a complaint but there is something at work here.

I shot the whole of the last SiJ in mono; Ricoh hiBW in fact. This time I have "allowed" myself some colour where the shot demands it. I think perhaps one of the contributory factors is that in Winter the world is more suited to a monochrome depiction.

Heading into That London at the moment for a final meeting and a hand-over of kit. Starting a new job next week so things may get a little sporadic for me thereafter!

A word on commenting. I have been crap at it. I apologise and fully intend to do a blitz tomorrow :)

Ok, I'm uploaded for Day 8. I don't know if I fabricated the requirement that each day's shot be created On That Day, but that's what I've been working with. In that light, I managed to stay up til midnight last night by a fluke (movie watching), so I got clever and shot mine at midnight. I'm curious to see if anyone can guess what it is, though.

We're at 0 degrees F today, with -20F windchill, so there was zero point zero chance I was taking the down mittens off on the bike ride in to work for a picture. I don't care if a T-Rex had walked across the bike path in front of me, I'd just be describing it to you verbally.

Went to Malaga today and took what seemed like a lot of pics, I'm not going to look at them until I get home on Sunday, that way I won't be tempted to delete them all! Confession, I put the Zeiss 25mm on as 50mm wasn't really going to capture the street.

Holy Mackerel was it cold this morning. BRUTAL. Tried to get out for a shot, but it was just nasty. Now looking for my first indoor shot of the series.

It's been fun but classes resume on Monday. My approach has been mainly based on continual awareness with the A in my pocket. I may need to plan more.

I must say that the longer this challenge runs, the more rewarding and productive it becomes. Besides getting to know my gear better and optimising my way of using it, I have already found a number of places that offer absolutely gorgeous shooting opportunities. Granted, I was mostly on the chase for sunsets or other late-afternoon light spectacles because that's the time of day I have to do my shooting in, but the challenge led me to leave the well-trodden path (sometimes literally) to get worthwhile images. I'm having a great time so far - thanks to all who promoted the idea and made it possible!

M.

I'm the opposite, I'm finding it too much both from a time point of view and I'm not liking the feeling of having to take a shot everyday no matter what. I think partly as Im always looking for a killer shot everytime so obviously I end up frustrated.
Having said that, I have enjoyed the social side of it, I might be coming around to the 28mm lens as a usable focal length for me, and Im planning to head off into town tomorrow night on a random walk to see what I can find. More importantly, Im looking forward to that rather than it feeling like a chore so Im bowing out of this and expect to see me in other picture threads as I have a few ideas for some shots I want to try.
Perhaps this hasn't been a bad exercise after all.

I ended up shooting the same scene as I did the other day, so a little bit disappointed with my self in that regard. Being a RAW shooter, I decided to try the art filters and shoot in Jpeg mode instead and see what the outcome of that will be.

Withdrawing due to an urgent situation that needs my time. Good luck all in completing your goals. I've enjoyed viewing your images. -K

Having said that, I have enjoyed the social side of it, I might be coming around to the 28mm lens as a usable focal length for me, and Im planning to head off into town tomorrow night on a random walk to see what I can find. More importantly, Im looking forward to that rather than it feeling like a chore so Im bowing out of this and expect to see me in other picture threads as I have a few ideas for some shots I want to try.
Perhaps this hasn't been a bad exercise after all.

This is really interesting for me as well. I was never much of a wide angle shooter, but I'm working pretty well with the 28. That alone makes this a worthy exercise.

I hope those who are dropping out feel free to rejoin when their schedule allows. I started the day with a flat tire, borrowed my wife's car to drive my mom all over town for doctor's appointments during a snowstorm and came home to find out that my car also has a dead battery. Sometime tonight I will force myself to find a decent photograph, I may even force myself to go outside in the frigid weather to get it. It may just be a selfie on a tripod with the 10 second timer while I'm clearing the snow from the driveway around 9 pm.

I will continue to push myself because I need to get better and I enjoy the challenge and the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back