Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am enjoying the challenge. It is forcing me to think of and shoot different images than I normally would have. I've never really shot any close up until now and I'm even looking into playing with the flash that came with the camera to try and use it as a fill. If I can get the flash figured out I'm sure at some point there will be a few images with it used.

Didn't get the shot, I wanted today. The requirement to walk 1/8 mile against the bitter wind, and then back, was just too much. May have to shoot inside till this cold spell passes. But I'm still in!

Just finished with snow removal duties.....my back is sore, my feet are cold and the X100 is slightly damp, but I think I got a shot of the flat for you, Steve. My backup shot is the snowblower. I need my liquid meds to ease the back pain:alcoholic:. I'll develop and post tomorrow.

Good work. You could double post this one in the Persistence challenge.

Cheated a bit on day 8. I was out last night and planned to bring the camera along. I realised I had forgotten to bring it too late to go back. Got home late, too much beer, decided to go to bed. So I posted one of today's shots for day 8 on the basis that when I took it it was still 8 January somewhere in the world ( west coast of North America I believe.)

Day 9 is one of a bunch of shots I took on a walk round a big chunk of reclaimed land by Manila Bay. This is a very different feel from the narrow streets and busy districts where I normally shoot. It's home to the Mall of Asia - MM's second biggest Mall and the sixth or seventh biggest in the world - aka the 11th circle of hell! They normally have a brief but spectacular firework display every Friday and Saturday night and they were setting up for tonight's show as I was passing earlier today. This will also be the venue for next month's Philippine International Pyromusical Competition which I'm really looking forward to. If you want a taster have a look at this video of last year's finale.

Man this weather is brutal. It's 10F outside but says it feels like -8 still and that's the high for today. Its going to start declining. But I may get crazy and try and go out later this evening to catch another sunset. We shall see how that goes.

Here, it's beach, beach and more beach I'm afraid. I've been trying to play with zone focus a bit in order to get something different..... If nothing else, it's making me have a serious think about what equipment I actually need :0

I wasn't successful today - went out for a walk after nightfall with a headache, got (pretty much) rid of that headache, but haven't actually shot anything either worthwhile or usable quality-wise. So I'll just add a fun shot of the building one of my favourite restaurants is in (didn't eat there today - maybe I should have, in order to get at least a little bit out of this excuse for a day ...).

The funny thing is that out of pure bloody-mindedness, I ended up finally fixing two old cameras after coming back and actually put some film in, so, apart from continuing with the challenge (weekend's coming), I'll definitely get some distraction with an old Polaroid camera with Impossible film and an even older cheap 6x6 medium format snapper with B/W film - should be interesting (well, it *will* be quirky).

M.

Hang on in there, yesterday I ended up photographing the scene that I shot only a couple of days before, sure it was a bit different and it was a good photo, but I was not happy because of that, but last night I had a few ideas of what photographs to make, so I have written them done and try to make those ideas into reality over the next week or two. Hopefully more ideas will come too. Managed to do one of those ideas tonight for my 9th day shot.

Going outside to take pictures didn't happen today. I had to go pick my niece up from school and it felt colder than it was yesterday so that made me change my mind. So I found some interesting shadows in the house to shoot. It's suppose to be 35F on Sunday! I'm looking forward to that.haha

As for the ones having trouble finding shots, think outside the box. Try some abstract shots with shadows or stop down and go for a slow shutter speed and introduce some camera movement. Try some close up work. Try a new technique out, like I'm going to be playing around with my flash so I can figure it out. Try and get creative with it. Don't get discouraged by feeling that your images aren't up to par or whatever, I never really feel like mine are that great but I like sharing them anyways. And Christilou, I would welcome seeing beach shots with the kind of weather is going on up here! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back