Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 11-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Just to say I'm still here, but travelling and not able to access this site from most of the places. It is blocked... Was it by any reason black-listed in the past?.... Sorry I cannot be commenting on the gallery, nor post my own photos there.

José

Hi, I'm still hanging in and enjoying myself, missed only 1 day.
But... I had a chance to go out and bring my camera 2 times this week (to a good looking hospital). From today the rest of the month will be office during weekdays:eek: Dull grey weather today.

I'm very happy with the comments (good and bad).

I somewhat suprise myself that even in limited time (and subjects) I still manage to get a decent shot with ok composition. I first started per oktober 2014 to take photos and look at others consistently every week , so as far as I can judge it: I guess this challenge points out I made progression the last few months:)

Well, I have just posted 3 days worth. I am struggling, not with the challenge per se, but with my choice of equipment. I have started a thread about this over on FujiXSpot, and I will replicate with your permission the bulk of my ramblings here:

A couple of years ago, back in 2013 I had my first brush with an X100. At the time I had my X-E1 as my main camera, and I was thinking that the X100 would be complementary. I struggled with it then, and couldn't quite work out why but a couple of months later I sold it on. Fast forward to just before Christmas this year. With the announcement of the X100T, the X100s could be found at decent prices very lightly used on the secondhand market. That, plus the release of the TCL-X100 made me seriously reconsider. I pulled the trigger twice - on a mint X100 and the teleconverter.

I decided to use the X100s for the Single in January 2015 challenge over on our sister site, Photographer's Lounge. I thought that it would help me to get to grips with the camera and learn it's quirks and foibles; I had done exactly the same back in 2012 with the Ricoh GRDIII. This time, however, it doesn't seem to be working. There are a number of things at work here, partly physical and partly mental. Physical first; I have large hands with long and slender fingers; I find it really hard to get a firm grip on the body on it's own. I have a grip, which helps, and a thumb-rest on the way. The grip helps in particular with the TCL-X100 and it's weight; the thumb-rest will hopefully help, whether the main grip is attached or not. BUT the problem with both these accessories is that they make the camera more bulky and even less pocketable than it is already. I think my handling problems have in turn contributed to one of my main issues, which appears to be camera shake. This is not something I have particularly had an issue with in the past; I have held Leica Ms to 1/15 and still got good results - but I think it is a factor of the unsteady hold I have on the camera body. I am also struggling with the optical viewfinder; this really surprises me because one of my other cameras is an X-Pro1 and I get on very well with that.

The net result is that I am not shooting my best stuff - have a look at the "Lightmancer SiJ15" thread and you will see what I mean.

Going forward, I am also struggling to see where the X100s will fit in "Billworld" - it is too big to slip in a pocket on it's own, let alone when grips and thumb rests are attached, let alone the TCL. If I can't fit it in a pocket I have to carry a bag, and if I have to carry a bag I may as well take one of my larger cameras in the first place. The TCL, which was one of the reasons for trying again, is a nice piece of kit but heavy, comparatively bulky and fiddly-diddly to slip on and off; it is reminiscent of the old screwmount lenses. Then there is the matter of the battery - most of my cameras - X-Pro1, X-T1 and X-M1 - take the same battery. The X100s is different. That means that I can't have one set of shared spare batteries and travel with one charger, as I do now...

What all this is leading to, I think, is that I will most likely part company with the X100s at the end of the SiJ - unless I have an epiphany in the next two weeks, I can't see it remaining as part of my photographic life. I feel as if I have somehow failed; I know it is a good camera, well-regarded by others, and that many other photographers have got it to sing for them - but, it seems, I just can't...

Today's SIJ update is an exciting one.

At 10am, a friend emailed me to say that one of our favorite bands, Guster, was meandering all around Boston and Cambridge doing surprise "pop up" concerts on the sidewalk in various places. And they'd mentioned at the last stop that Harvard Square (just across the river, less than a mile away from where I sit) was up next at 11.

Now being a good SIJ'er, I ONLY brought the SIJ lens with me today, the 27 pancake, so I wouldn't be tempted by that sexy 56 anymore. But of course that means that I DID have the camera and a workable lens to use instead of just a dumb iphone, and there's a chance I wouldn't have brought the XT with me if not for SIJ, so thank you all for that.

And thus I slipped away from my desk, hopped on my bike, and 6 minutes later began to scour the square for them. I found them quickly, at my "second guess" location, and set up right in front right before they started. So I got treated to thirty minutes of great free music, and I had my camera, so I got shots and video, all of which is being eagerly gobbled up by locals online as we speak, via facebook and youtube.

...AND THUS, I have a more exciting shot for my SIJ Day 15 submission than a still life shot of a half-empty water glass at midnight... I have me fist-bumping one of my heroes, however badly focused it may be. It's still my pick. (There's a full album on Flickr, of course). Uploading now...

Wow, Kyle, this is an exciting one!

For me, I had one where I only did the driving. I wanted to experiment taillights trails from a driving car. My trusted assistant did the shutter pressing and was amazed at his first image. It was nothing like I imagined beforehand, but better than I had expected. So that one it was. We had tons of fun, even when he can't seem to take his dad serious anymore "if I'm going to be proud of stuff like that". So be it!

Had a couple of really rough days - lots to do, little time left and hardly any ideas or even casual snaps, so I had to make do with just about everything. But something like that was somehow to be expected - I was more than lucky at the beginning. It's still an interesting experience, and I definitely get to know the camera/lens setup (and, increasingly, its limitations - though I must say that it could be worse, it's an astonishingly versatile combination ...).

I hope that I'll be able to devote more time to the challenge again come next Thursday ...

M.

I now realize, that I like the G5 mounted on a tripod, with the screen pulled out, much better than any other usage. :rolleyes: Today's picture was an afterthought, the unexpected. :)

I'm not struggling to take a picture every day in this challenge though to be fair I'm not taking it too seriously. I just grab a toy (I have a few :blush:) each night after work and snap a picture or two. However, I am finding it hard to keep up with the commenting. I'm working my way though the gallery but you guys/girls keep adding more pictures in every day so just when I think I'm getting somewhere I find I'm really not! I am trying though and will get to all your pictures some time!!

Today (Day 15) it was wet and wild in a uniquely Scottish way - the icy rain was being blown upwards. Now I don't know how that works but it does.

So we're testing out these lenses. I used very diffuse light from a north facing window and shot it hand-held without bracing against anything. I'm shocked that any part of it is in focus at all!

Just got day 14 up and will post 15 after my workout. Nothing too exciting as I watched my nieces for the 2nd half of the day but they are a couple of my favorite subjects. Sometimes not really willing but I sneak some shots when they're not paying attention.

I have to say the more I use the 40-150 the more I like it. It is pretty darn sharp especially for a lens that only cost me $99 a couple years ago and how small it is. Only one little problem with it is chromatic aberration, will a lens hood help with that?

Some fantastic pictures posted thus far. I'm getting my photo's daily but sometimes it takes me a couple of days to get to the computer to upload. My thanks for all the comments and critiques. My apologies for not being a diligent in my failure to reciprocate, I'll take some time and go through the images this weekend and make amends.

Well, I'm sad to say I think I'm done with the challenge. Missed way too many days, as I have not made it home from work before 10pm any night this week. I don't mind shooting in the dark, but urban shots at such a late hour are more of a risk than I am willing to take.

My hat is off to all of you who are soldiering on.

Cheers,

Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back