Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 11-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right...

I have given up with the X100S. To learn more about why, look here: Fuji 100 Series: Why I will probably not buy an X100T - Macfilos

If you will indulge me I shall carry on with my X20.

Fine by me - not, of course, your gripes with the X100S, but continuing with the X20.

Your post makes for nteresting read; it touches on some issues I was trying to coming to grips with lately. It's a fact that - maybe apart from the Coolpix A and the GR - there is no really *compact* digital camera out there that delivers the goods on the level that, say, a Minox or XA could in its day (i.e. IQ that pretty much matched the "big guns", sometimes surpassing them - like the Minoxar does in terms of center sharpness when compared to the - admittedly old - NIkon 35mm f/2). I love my GR for what it is and does, but find its lack of a decent viewfinder (the add-on ones aren't satisfactory in my view) a bit of a drag. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to make a camera in this vein today.

Interestingly (to me, at least), I also found an issue with how the E-M10 worked with Auto ISO, but thanks to mu-43.com, I found a solution (it's about setting the minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO - I didn't know it depended on the Flash Slow Limit; a simple search solved the problem, thanks to mu-43 and DPR ...).

M.

I understand switching one has to like what you are shooting with, but even though I rarely use my X100 anymore it is not for the reasons that are not working for you. My poor X100 has been pushed out of the rotation by the RX1r, neither one will fit in my pocket. On the other hand I never use a case except when traveling, all shooting is naked camera with a wrist strap.

I'm not having much issues with getting images. As I realize I won't be getting great shots everyday. As Ansel Adams said "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." So don't put so much pressure on yourself to post amazing shots. Shots from your area in the world may not mean much to you, but to others on here it may be a neat perspective on how different places look.

That's what I keep telling myself Jared.

This whole week will be a a strain on my abilities to see a photograph. Next week I can get out and about a wee bit more further afield.

My new X100S got displaced for this challenge by the slightly newer Coolpix A. It was good choice, however, since the A is really pocketable and that has been crucial for the SIJ stuff.

Agree with Steve, glad I picked the Coolpix A this year instead of the X100. I enjoyed the X100 last time around but I really like the lens on the Coolpix A. It just seems so much sharper compared to same shots done with the X100 and WCL.

-Thomas

I just jumped the traces. I did the first 17 days with the 50mm on the G5, but slapped the P20 on for the rest of the month. Today's shot, was with that combo. The 50 was great for many things, but just too narrow for some of the things, that I wanted to do.

That's two slips, during this challenge. Guess I don't have the determination, that I use to have. Maybe, I'll blame it on getting old and tired. Or maybe, I just don't think it's all that important, to limit myself to such rigid limits, any more. It's not a job, or life control. It's a hobby. So it's suppose to be enjoyable, not an endurance test.

So it's the 20, ......at least, until I change my mind again.:)

I just jumped the traces. I did the first 17 days with the 50mm on the G5, but slapped the P20 on for the rest of the month. Today's shot, was with that combo. The 50 was great for many things, but just too narrow for some of the things, that I wanted to do.

That's two slips, during this challenge. Guess I don't have the determination, that I use to have. Maybe, I'll blame it on getting old and tired. Or maybe, I just don't think it's all that important, to limit myself to such rigid limits, any more. It's not a job, or life control. It's a hobby. So it's suppose to be enjoyable, not an endurance test.

So it's the 20, ......at least, until I change my mind again.:)

Love your thinking. I would perhaps have been more enthusiastic without the limitations of using only one camera, one lens (just doing a photo a day would have been good). I already switched after 2 days because the GRD died, but I've been thinking I should have gone with my initial instinct of using the 18.5mm on the V1. Oh well, I'll stick it out now. Until I don't.

Hi,

Still not able to access the site from a browser. Will try to add some photos to the gallery with an alternative connection latter on, but will not be able to comment on other photos, sorry. Will be heading back to home Tuesday, arriving Wednesday in Europe, hope afterwards I can get back on track.

(Can it be the site blocks access from some locations or providers in Africa?...)

José

I keep cheating on the weekends. I cannot resist the siren call of the 56, much less the 35. Monday to friday I'm toeing the line, but when the weekend comes...

Images posted to the gallery now for saturday, sunday, and today.

I dunno, I'm enjoying myself immensely taking photographs even though I'd have changed the lens before capturing some of them during 'normal' operations.

All in all, I tend to use MF lenses, saving those with autofocus for moving subjects/people so it's not the hardship it would seem to be at first glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back