Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 11-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just loaded up days 16,17,18 and today. It's a good thing the 40mm is the only lens that makes the K-01 close to *compact* ... not tempted to change. It was either the 40 or a 28mm manual, but I just couldn't go on manual focus - a lot of my captures are quick AF snaps.

I have found quite a liking for the CoolpixA. And if was not for this challenge, I don't think I would have tried so many things with it. I am going to go on a business trip tomorrow and it is the perfect size to carry on the plane and in pocket most of the day. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Day 20 is posted. Taking pictures every day is going to mean some familiar scenery gets repeated... I don't do something or go somewhere interesting every day, sadly.

Well, we are two-thirds of the way through...ish. All those who have kept going, pat yourselves firmly on the back, give yourselves a hi-five and raise a glass - well done! As we head into the home straight, I am just about still here. I've found it harder than last time, not helped by my "falling out" with my weapon of first choice, the X100s. I'm using my X20 now, which fits more easily with the strictures of the exercise, as did the Ricoh GRD I used last time. Which reminds me - remember when I said:
Just a practical tip for those contemplating their "weapon of choice"; if you are going to go the distance, you don't want to encumber yourself with a big camera or lens; what you select has go "fit in" with your life for 31 days. This is truly a time to choose a serious compact that can go everywhere with you.
...now can you see the point I was trying to make? ;)

The other thing I have been crap at is commenting. Sorry. I am going to have another blitz tomorrow.

I have found quite a liking for the CoolpixA. And if was not for this challenge, I don't think I would have tried so many things with it. I am going to go on a business trip tomorrow and it is the perfect size to carry on the plane and in pocket most of the day. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Same here. I'm really glad I got the A and have thoroughly enjoyed using it for this challenge. It's a real high quality pocket camera.

Now the rant:

It's a very nice camera, especially for the $360 I paid. I think if I'd paid $1000, however, I would be really disappointed with the AF. It's very funny that the two Canikons I've had, the EOS M and the Coolpix A, have had AF just as bad as the E-P1. You'd think these two companies would have the sense to use their considerable expertise better in these nichey but expensive cameras. It doesn't exactly enhance their reputations. I felt this way about the M as well. So close to being an amazing camera but stupidly hobbled.

Just a short call to admit that I almost failed today - I just couldn't get myself to go out and shoot. So the image is as much a tongue in cheek comment on my general state of mind as it is a standby shot. The game pictured (which most of you probably won't know) is a lot of fun and much more demanding than its simple rules would suggest. And it's at least 1300 years old ...

SiJ_15_20.jpg

On hindsight, I see a lot of ways to make this image better - but having posted it, I stick with it.

M.

Day 20 complete. Today was one of those days where I had the opportunity to shoot more ... frustrating that I can't save for a next (rainy/gloomy/snowy) day :)

Another one up. Really liking the 20mm. But not bonding with the G5.

The 20mm is a really nice little lens; though I appreciate the snappiness of the 17mm f/1.8, it's still one of my favourites - crisp, yet quite pleasant rendering (not too clinical is what I'm hinting at). It lives on my E-PM1 - mainly because the 12-40mm lives on the E-M10 (usually ... - and again when SiJ is finished).

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back