Single in January 2016, days 1-10. How's it going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
This is a thread for participants to SiJ '16 to share, discuss, vent, rant, sympathise, cajole, consult, air, opine, appeal, declaim, chat and otherwise wibble about their SiJ journey.

There will be three of these threads, for days 1-10, 11-20 and the rest.

It is NOT the place to post your picture-a-day; that's here.

where's the original thread Bill, .... just got up in Europe ........... I have forgotten the rules!!!!:dash2:

Just finished my first shoot of the year. A two hour early morning walk around my wife's hometown of Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Gorgeous weather and a nice ocean breeze. 117 exposures, so hoping for a few keepers.

I finally decided on the Nikon Df and 35mm 2.0 Distagon ZF.2. I had ordered the lens from an eBay seller in Japan but only received it yesterday. 35mm is not my natural point of view (50mm would be it) so this will be a change of pace from me.

I will be away from home until the 7th, so I will not be able to upload to the gallery until then.

Good luck to everyone with the challenge!

Cheers,

Antonio

OK, I guess I'm in. I pondered most of yesterday what camera/lens combo I'd use, and since I love the 40mm on my film 35SP, but do not want to have to go through the darkroom and scanner to post shots, I've decided on the Fuji X-Pro 1 with the nifty little 27mm f2.8, which is equivalent to a 40mm in FF terms. Used with the optical hybrid finder on the X-Pro, I find it a joy to use, and though the lens is not quite as wonderful as the 35mm f1.4,, it is a whole lot smaller, and no slouch at all in performance. It has, in fact, become my most used lens with this camera. Images to follow on the appropriate thread.

My plan failed - I wanted to document the turning of the year, but frankly, people in the street were as uninspiring (drunk and/or aggressive) as the weather (drizzle on and off), so I went home early with nothing to show for it. Sadly, things didn't improve much during the day with low hanging clouds and murky light. I procrastinated in the hope for improvements, but in hindsight, the best images would have come from the morning mists.

I also find it comparatively hard to adjust to the lens - this kind of wide angle is just not the way I see. One solution is to get very close, but that isn't always possible. I was lucky for this guy to run past me when I was trying to make something out of that bridge ...

After this kind of start, things can only get better - I certainly hope so, and seeing others doing their best is definitely going to help.

btw. Aren't we going to post the images in the thread, too? I think we did so last year, and the new gallery makes it easier than ever.

M.

We had this Outtakes thread were we shared some pictures which didn't quite make it for the 'official' contribution :)

Single in January 2015 - Outtakes

Should we have similar this year?

EDIT: And BTW, I chose X-T1 w/ XF35mmf1.4, I couldn't rely on iPhone 6 on our darkest days of the year, so... But of course, keeping X-T1 with me all the time will be a challenge itself :)

Another adjustment. I spent a couple of days with the P20 on the g1, and could not Get the "feel". It is too short and light, for my old arthritic hands, that are also developing a bit of palsy. So, it's back to the OM 50mm f1:8, that just feels right, and I'm familiar with the FL. I know, I know. It"s time to get it settled.

Finally, a shot I can live with! It's been cold and gloomy out with uninteresting light, and I've been in the kitchen most of the day (The sour cream enchiladas with my very own red and green chile sauces were pretty good), so not a lot of interesting things to shoot. Except if you live with a dog, there's always something in the house to pose for you.

Well, I thought I could do this and signed myself up in a flash.. but I realize I have too much other stuff to manage. Sorry I have to quit. I will follow and try to commment on you guys.

I've been good so far (for two days) but all on film so I will have to wait a while. currently on frame 10 of 36 exp with 6 taken previously

Today we visited one of many Christmas markets that sprang up throughout the city. It was really cold (–18 degrees centigrade), but I managed to get some half-decent shots.

Not so good today. I had a shot in mind, but was accosted by a faith healing pamphleteer at the critical moment. The conversation went like this, as he stepped in front of my raised lens.
"Would you like to become more healthy by letting faith into your life?"
(Lowering camera with look of incredulity) "Have I irritated you?"
"No..."
"Then why have you chosen to irritate me...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back