Single in January 2016, days 1-10. How's it going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill: I feel for you; very measured reaction, at any rate.

I had to make do with a quick snap on the way back from rehearsal (concert tomorrow - hours of preparation and then playing in a very clammy church indeed - so your experience fits right in), but seeing as the weather hasn't improved, I guess I can live with that.

M.

I was reminded today of how fleeting a shot can be. Of course, your subject can move. What I mean however is that natural light is constantly changing with the sun and there is only a short window for any shot that depends on angle of light. I've always enjoyed the kind of photographic challenge that becomes a bit of a hunt where the prey can elude you.

The problem with being on holiday is that you take holiday photos. At least the sun is shining. Problem 2 is that it is really strong and not that high in the sky so everything is either dark or bleached out. Going for some walks in the remaining week so at least I will have some new material to capture.

I knew I should make haste in getting a picture before the weather went from bad to worse but could only come up with Little B that we know rather well in sleeping mode or my porridge cooking on the stove. Much later, when it became clear that we were in for a particularly grey day, I had no option but to look for the only colour available which happened to be our cars on the driveway. I skewed the picture in post to give a more caged look as that's how it's been today, caged inside with my husband who appears to have flu ....... I knew this would be hard !

Streets and parking are ice with rain on top. Nasty! Walking without ice cleats, or trying to drive without ice studded tires, (I have both) nearly impossible. I eased down to the beach, about a mile. Put on the cleats, walked down to the stormy surf, Set up the tripod and camera, and ....NO Memory card! But, was a dark lifeless scene anyway. So, back to the house, and take one from the front porch. Tomorrow is likely, be another opportunity.

Question: I love you all, but I don't want alerts every time someone does something in the Gallery. I have turned off every media alert preference and the only ones still checked are "quotes your message" and "likes your message". I'm sure to save these changes and yet it seems to have no effect. What am I doing wrong?

Not so good today. I had a shot in mind, but was accosted by a faith healing pamphleteer at the critical moment. The conversation went like this, as he stepped in front of my raised lens.
"Would you like to become more healthy by letting faith into your life?"
(Lowering camera with look of incredulity) "Have I irritated you?"
"No..."
"Then why have you chosen to irritate me...?"

I like to have fun with them, since there's little fun elsewise. "Oh, really? God and Heaven? Really? Oh, my. I'm so busy - here's a dollar, can you say a prayer for me? Thanks - gotta run...."

Question: I love you all, but I don't want alerts every time someone does something in the Gallery. I have turned off every media alert preference and the only ones still checked are "quotes your message" and "likes your message". I'm sure to save these changes and yet it seems to have no effect. What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean email alerts? or just alerts on the website?

Have you been here...... https://www.photographerslounge.org/account/alert-preferences

Just in case you hadn't noticed in the Gallery - the thumbnails are cropped square which affects some images more than others. Clicking on the thumbnail gives a larger uncropped view and suddenly a square becomes a pano (for example).

Today was okay - better light, inviting enough for a little stroll before lunch (and concert). However, I think that most of the obstacles I have faced the last two days were purely self-inflicted; it's up to me to make something out of the given situation - instead of meeting the circumstances with contempt ... I'll try to keep that in mind. Things probably won't improve considerably over the next couple of days, so I'd better get my act together.

M.

With the restrictions I've set myself (SOOC and no PP), I find myself having to recompose and adjust, change exposure, etc, all the time which makes me appreciate that you needed a bit of a brain to to this thing if shooting manually in the film days.

Like last tear, I'm travelling for a week to the Southern Hemisphere, off to Summer now!

This will not make the challenge any easier, since will have lots of movements restrictions...

sorry. I planned to participate but I totally forgot about it after being caught up in photo library and tool reorganization. :dash2:
Will try to participate in round 2

I find the gallery quite confusing, just like last year. Everything seems to be backwards. I much prefer the ordinary thread where it's much easier to view and comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back