Single in January 2017

I find this tough! Particularly commenting on all the photos. I do blip photo and have over 1,000 entries but they are fairly mundane so I can't promise anything much of interest given that the light here in the Northern hemisphere is not kind. I've removed the evf from my Leica M240 so would like to get into a better flow with the 50mm Summilux using just the rangefinder so this might be a good exercise!

This morning. New snow, flat light. Just an appetizer for Jan.

PC210001.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If we do this, could we please have the photos in forum treads, rather than in galleries? I just find that much more interactive. We could have a tread per week, or even per day...
Having the photos on threads instead of in a gallery makes it very cumbersome to comment on individual photos. The gallery setup has worked fairly well in the past, together with the "how is it going" threads.

Sometimes, a good night's sleep can change a lot - I'm in. Further decisions will be made later (@rayvonn Still deliberating ;)).

As for procedures, I'll use the gallery anyway to store my images - and I found browsing the images via the gallery helpful in previous installations of this challenge. But if someone wants to put them in a/the thread (as well), I'm not against that. I tend to stay very short in my gallery comments, whereas I might be inclined to comment more extensively in a thread, but maybe that's just me. As for commenting on every image: I've never been able to do that - some images, I just like without really being able to say why, some images appeal a bit less - that's the way it is, no hard feelings, and that goes for my own images, too, of course. I look at them all, I consider them all, I appreciate them all - but sometimes, I don't find anything worthwhile to say; that's not depreciating an image, it just means that I'm limited in that regard, and that's nothing to worry about. But I personally can promise that I'll make an effort to comment as much as possible and sensible. It can be tough to work one's way through the challenge as it is, so tight rules aren't helpful in general - supportive attitudes and behaviours and a thread (or space) to voice them in are essential, though. Anyway, we'll find ways to help each other through this - we've done it before :)

M.

I've never done one of these. I wanted to last year, but we were moving and I was sick. Dad (snkenai) and I were talking photography this morning on Skype, and he challenged me to do this one. I'm going to try. I might even accept his challenge to use the manual lens for this...but I stink at manual focus, so I'm still debating. :)

Personally, I really dislike the galleries and would much prefer a thread, since in my memories there were more reactions on entries when posted in a thread. For example Octoberfest 2012 had a new post per day, where everyone could post their entries of that day. This worked great for me. But I'll manage somehow any which way is chosen. :)

We seem to be split down the middle regarding preference for gallery vs. thread. Since the past few years were done with the gallery, how about we do the thread(s) this time? :) We can always switch back next year if this was a total fail.

I've kept out of this debate thus far, but on balance I *think* I'd lean towards threads. I also think if we go down that route we should have a thread per day (which leads to the obvious question, who will give us each day our daily thread...*) I only use the gallery for SiJ and I do find it a bit cludgy, probably through a lack of familiarity.

So yes, I'm in. I'm going to use my new "toy", a Panasonic CM1 portable telephone with a 1 inch, 20MP sensor and a Leica Elmarit lens. I may also do the month in mono...

*...to which the answer is, of course, the first person to post on the day ;)

I can easily live with a thread a day - though I'd find it a bit easier if we could agree on a sort of format for the title; if all threads started with "SiJ17" or something of that manner, I'd already be fine (I enter the forum via "Unread Posts").

M.

I must confess, having participated in both kinds of submission options... I definitely prefer threads.

On the matter of camera: I had planned to use my LX100 but you know what? I've lost it. I have not the faintest idea where it is, and yet, I had taken some photos of Toby with it only a couple of weeks ago. So now, I am undecided.

I've never done one of these. I wanted to last year, but we were moving and I was sick. Dad (snkenai) and I were talking photography this morning on Skype, and he challenged me to do this one. I'm going to try. I might even accept his challenge to use the manual lens for this...but I stink at manual focus, so I'm still debating. :)
One of the things you can get out of a challenge like this is familiarity with a different piece of gear or technique. If you would like to learn to focus manually, this will do it. If I may ask, what lens is it?

I've started a few of these but never managed to finish one yet, but since it's my last January in Manila I think I'll give it another go. X-E2/35mm, I think.

One of the things you can get out of a challenge like this is familiarity with a different piece of gear or technique. If you would like to learn to focus manually, this will do it. If I may ask, what lens is it?

I don't know much about this lens. It was given to me as we left for Africa. It's says "RMC Tokina" on it. It's 135mm (for shooting those shy birds and animals that won't come any closer). I haven't shot with it much until today. Dad had told me how to make it work with my camera, but I had forgotten how until he reminded me yesterday. It would be a challenge for sure. I'm not used to a long lens, and I really need to learn to focus manually. I'm just not sure I'll have anything worthy of posting from this setup.

Last edited:
First reaction was to pass this year but what the heck I'm in again. :hmmm:

Will use the Panasonic TZ70 and to make it interesting I'll shoot jpg and limit pp to straighten image. I may use the zoom as it is a feature of this little unit.

A big vote for a thread a day rather than the clumsy album. Someone needs to open each day's thread and living in GMT +8 I'll volunteer for this if needed.

... I'm just not sure I'll have anything worthy of posting from this setup.

This challenge, is not a photo contest. It is not about great photos, (although, there will be some). Not, mine is not good enough. Its about pushing ourselves to new frontiers, skills, viewpoints, exploring and strengthening our relationship with the tools of the trade/hobby. Developing better discipline, patience and ability to "see" the picture. From that will come better pictures and confidence.
Just shoot it!

Back