Single in January 2017

The advantages here are:
1. A little daily push to take some photos. it's not just that you grab the camera. You also can push past that "this is not good enough to post" barrier.
2. A friendly and sympathetic group of commentators. It's a group activity, not a competition. We all support each other and you get to look at some amazing work by others. It's neat to see how others handle the challenge. Plus you get to grouse with a bunch of old guys, whose are clearly in their element when it comes to complaining.

After being a lurker for a while, I've joined this forum specially to participate on a SiJ, so I guess I'm in!

I'd like to go with the DP3M this time, but... Like on the past two years, I'll have to travel to Johannesburg in January and both for flexibility and for being able to replace it easier in case of theft (e.g. while sleeping on the plane or even at the hotel safe), the E-PL7 is a better option for me. However, I've successfully concluded last two challenges already with the E-PL7 and one lens, so I might allow myself to go a bit outside the original rules and use the Sigma while in Europe and the Olympus in South Africa.

I have successful contributed everyday in the past year's SIJ. Last year I failed to complete due to work. But for me it is all about self-challenge and keeping photography in mind throughout each day.
So, I am in.
But I like the idea of relaxing the 'rules' so each participant can choose to limit their 'challenge' to something that works best for them. So if one camera/lens is too restrictive to work with people's scheduled activities, let them use a phone or whatever is at hand. Then go back to the specified camera lens when it works best. (For me it will be the Monochrome with 50mm).
I already know that I have business travel the first three weeks in January.
I will take the camera, but might supplement with phone if time runs short.
And I really don't have a strong option about the thread vs. gallery. Whatever the group agrees on is fine with me.
I confess, that I like these challenges best because we get to see a bit about each other's daily lives.

So, are we doing this? Any decision on thread vs. gallery?
Well I'm a definite, I'll go with the majority in terms of thread vs gallery, but my vote's on the gallery. It may result in only 5 of us doing it full time but as long as we support each other (particularly as it gets to the end of the month), then we'll be fine.

I'm in for the challenge, but I think I'll stick to my 45mm lens for this one. Sorry, Dad ( @snkenai ). I think the manual lens will be too long for my first challenge here. Besides that, we're having company near the end of the month, and I think a lens I'm familiar with may help me stay on track with the challenge while distracted and busy. I'm getting excited about trying this.

I did one of these a while back and really enjoyed the challenge. I tend to lean towards a thread version. (Quite frankly I'm not sure how gallery posts work.) I'll probably do it with my X Pro1 and Zeiss Touit - 32mm. Both pieces of used gear I find myself vacillating back to regularly.
It might be handy as we get closer to January 1st for a first thread, (if we do a thread version), post with the agreed upon guidelines sorta' spelled out one more time.
I'm looking forward to the challenge.
. . . David

Out of curiosity: Is someone already compiling a list somewhere? I think I need a little pressure to finally reach a decision as to what camera to use :D

Actually, I'm down to two cameras already - that's not too bad, considering that the last couple of days have been somewhat busy. I'll use either the Canon S95 or the Ricoh GR. @rayvonn put me onto the S95, and we would be in this together - very tempting indeed. I'm just a bit wary of the S95's low-light performance; it's really grainy by ISO 400, and positively pointilistic by ISO 800; since it's winter time, I'll probably have to shoot in limited or fading light a lot ... The GR is a known quantity - but I've never used it exclusively (or as a "main" camera) for such a long time. I'd actually love to find out how far this unassuming powerhouse can be pushed ... That's the conundrum. A nice problem to have, to be honest :rolleyes-74:

M.

if one has a preference for using the gallery or threads, please cast your vote over here in the next couple days (I'll close the poll sometime late on the 29th so we have a couple days to prepare).....
Sij2017 thread v gallery poll

And while I have set up this poll, I am out of town with fairly limited time for internet stuff until the 5th or so. So please keep each other engaged in discussions, and cast your vote if you have a preference. And I'll do what I can from my undisclosed location to make stuff happen. But I won't be super-active the next week and a half or so.

Last edited:
Well the date is fast approaching. The poll to decide if we are using threads or the gallery system for sharing photos has closed and we'll be using threads this time around. That will lessen how much individual commenting will naturally take place, but I think if an image speaks to you, you should feel free to let the photographer know you like it...or what you like about it. The photo threads don't need to be silent, reverent places without any banter. But do as you wish.

I think a naming convention for the threads will keep them easily searchable should anyone ever need to seek them out in the future. I think in the past we have used SiJ 2017 - Day 1, etc.

And one needn't be paranoid about getting one's image loaded on the day it was taken. But hopefully we can keep them within the same week so we don't have 14 active image threads constantly being bumped to the top of the recent post tab....we SiJ crew oughtn't take over the whole of the SC.

any questions or comments just holler 'em out. Again, I may not be around much since I'm on vacation for a bit, but there are plenty of people around here to help.

Still haven't found the LX100 (I know its in the house somewhere and I am certain Toby has not hidden it) so I'm going to see what I can wring out of the TZ60. I will use RAW files and I will use zoom where required.

[edit] and now I am all undecided again. Found the LX100. I guess that will be it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about going with E-PL7 and 7.5mm FE, instead of the DP3M.

Not that I believe I can make anything worthy with it, I really don't fell comfortable with a fish eye, but this might be a good opportunity to develop my technique here. Not sure if I won't be wanting to give up mid way.....
In spite of your misgivings, that's actually a really great idea - both the camera and the lens are great tools and solid performers, and the 7.5mm is far more versatile than may be obvious at first glance; just one tip: Get close!

I decided right now to take up @rayvonn on his proposal: I'll use the S95 daily if he does the same :) I won't promise that this'll be the only camera I'll use all month because I'm shooting *a lot* lately (film and digital) so I'll seize every opportunity (mostly, we're talking film cameras here, though). But I'll always carry the S95 and actually try to stay away from most of my digital gear in order not to clog up the PP cue ... (clearing that is on my list for next week - it's overdue).

M.

I'm thinking about going with E-PL7 and 7.5mm FE, instead of the DP3M.

Not that I believe I can make anything worthy with it, I really don't fell comfortable with a fish eye, but this might be a good opportunity to develop my technique here. Not sure if I won't be wanting to give up mid way.....

I WANT TO SEE you shoot the fisheye every day. When I have seen people dedicate themselves to shooting fisheye is when they get really good at SEEING with it. You may want to end up de-fishing some of them, but I think working with one every day will really pay off.

Back