Single In Single in January 2021: It's on!

Name
Matt
As promised a long time ago, we'll do it:

The Single in January 2021 (SiJ 21) challenge!

The core rules:
  • Take at least one image per day during one month - and post (only) one image to each day's thread. The image doesn't have to be posted on the same day it was taken, but regular participation is expected.
  • You may or may not pick a specific theme or subject matter as well - all decisions in this regard are up to you.
  • Specify the gear you're going to use for the whole challenge - and stick to it as far as the challenge is concerned (accidents and issues excepted). Note: While we usually don't enforce this rule, experience shows that such a restriction can boost creativity.
  • Interact with other participants, talk about the images you take and see, as well as your own experiences - in short, let's talk, have fun together and support each other.
These rules appear to be the "original" ones - except for the fact that you may still shoot for other purposes with different gear during the time of the challenge.

Of course, there will be daily treads, weekly outtake threads and a discussion thread for mutual support as well as chatter.

The pandemic may have broken the intended rhythm with widespread lockdowns last April, but we made up for it in June 2020. Should the situation become more manageable again, we'll re-establish the nine-month rhythm from here on.

For those who need to know: The "Day to Day" challenge carries on as well; we're on track to completing an even more impressive route, albeit with a much more relaxed set of rules.

Your host,
Matt

Participants and their chosen gear:
  • Ad (@Ad Dieleman): Sony A7R IV with Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 RETIRED
  • Andrew (@agentlossing): Pentax KP with 35mm f/2.4
  • Andrew (@gryphon1911): Fujifilm X-T3 with 16-80mm f/4
  • Barrie (@grebeman): Panasonic GX8 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 (gear changed)
  • David (@davidzvi): Olympus E-M1 II with 12-45mm f/4
  • Don (@donlaw): Nikon Df with 50mm f/1.4G
  • Hanneke (@Hanneke): Fujfilm X-T20 with 35mm f/2
  • John (@mnhoj): Fujifilm X-H1 with Viltrox 56mm f/1.4 RETIRED
  • Karen (@Briar): Leica Q2 Monochrom
  • Marlof (@marlof): Olympus E-M1 III with 25mm f/1.2
  • Martin (@theoldsmithy): Panasonic GX9 with 14mm f/2.5
  • Matero (@Matero): Canon 5D Mark III and EF 50mm f/1.2
  • Matt (@MoonMind): Panasonic GX9 with Laowa 7.5mm f/2
  • Miguel (@MiguelATF)): Olympus Pen-F with Panasonic/DJI 15mm f/1.7
  • Ray (@rayvonn): Nikon Df(?) with 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 AF-D
  • Rob (@Robot): Canon EOS RP with 85mm f/2
  • Steve (@drd1135): Fujifilm X100V
  • Sue (@kyteflyer): Ricoh GR II RETIRED
  • Tony (@tonyturley): Fujifilm X-T2 with 18mm f/2
  • William (@William Lewis): Nikon D7100 with 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P
2021-01-02, 00:15 CET

Last edited:
Well I'm in, pretty sure I've missed the last 2 or 3. As foreshadowed in a recent post on another thread on this forum, I am this time nominating the Nikkor 35-70 F3.3 - 4.5 lens, widely perceived to be Nikkor's worst ever lens. There's a 35-70 F2.8 AF-D - that's apparently a very good lens but the one I've got certainly isn't that. No, it's this:

Well I'm in, pretty sure I've missed the last 2 or 3. As foreshadowed in a recent post on another thread on this forum, I am this time nominating the Nikkor 35-70 F3.3 - 4.5 lens, widely perceived to be Nikkor's worst ever lens. There's a 35-70 F2.8 AF-D - that's apparently a very good lens but the one I've got certainly isn't that. No, it's this:

This lens (or rather, its predecessor, without the D designation, and even worse mechanically) was my first Nikon lens - on the F-401 (N-4004), the lowest-spec'd AF camera Nikon ever made. It was the first SLR I bought new, and all I could afford at the time (or so I thought - because I wanted the "latest tech").

Funnily enough, this didn't turn me off at all ...

M.

I'm in, though I'll have to decide what gear to shoot with. I really enjoyed April's challenge, though subsequently I just wasn't able to keep up the day to day challenge - I sincerely admire those who have been keeping that up. That's dedication!

Right now I am finding that film is the most exciting to me. It's too bad that it's not really feasible for a daily challenge. I can't shoot a roll a day, and develop it daily (though, if I didn't have responsibilities that sounds heavenly) or even every other day. I think I'll tweak the jpeg settings on my Pentax KP and shoot that for this challenge. I'll have to finalize that in a couple of days.

I just decided which gear to use: One of the cameras I want to reach a decision on is the GX9 - so I'll take that camera (instead of one I'll keep anyway) and use it with its truely congenial partner, the Panasonic "Leica DG Summilux" 15mm f/1.7.

M.
Great combination. If I hadn't decided to exit m4/3 and stick with Fuji, that combination would be in my camera bag.

@agentlossing, @tonyturley Andrew, Tony, great to have you along for the ride :2thumbs:

I just decided which gear to use: One of the cameras I want to reach a decision on is the GX9 - so I'll take that camera (instead of one I'll keep anyway) and use it with its truely congenial partner, the Panasonic "Leica DG Summilux" 15mm f/1.7.

M.
You may remember that was my April camera, and it was long enough to discover how great the JPEG engine has gotten. Either L Monochrome D or just standard color, with the saturation turned down one or two pegs, which can end up looking like Saul Leiter's early color work, surprisingly, both of these really spoke to me, to the extent that having gotten rid of the GX9, I miss it rather a lot.

I’ll join in. GX9 with the Panasonic 14mm. It's about time I gave that lens some serious use.

One of my favorite museum lenses.
The P14 is one of the most under rated primes. The only reason I decided I was OK selling off my X70 was that I know I could snag a P14 to go with my Pen F.

Back