Single In Single in January 2021: It's on!

Nice lens. Oddly fragile, but surprisingly good optically.

I agree with you about the 'nice lens' part, Steve - it's a fabulous little lens.

But I'm curious what you meant by 'oddly fragile' - since the copy I own and have used for several years, has never really struck me as 'fragile' in any way. It is a plastic lens - so it doesn't have the heavy rock-solid feel of some pieces of pricier glass - but though I've never 'abused' my copy, I always had the feeling it could weather whatever one threw at it, so to speak.

Nice lens. Oddly fragile, but surprisingly good optically.

.....But I'm curious what you meant by 'oddly fragile' .....
Not to speak for Steve. It was a lot more common with the metal versions. The mount was pretty tight and the force needed to mount / remove often caused the front ring to separate. The plastic mount version requires much less force and I'm not sure I've actually read about one separating.

Last edited:
Here is an example.
Happened to my first one as well; and the second was slightly mechanically flawed, though in a different, if related way; both had metal mounts. The last one I owned had a plastic mount and seemed nice enough - but I had sort of moved on and hardly ever used it. For its size and price, the lens is a very solid performer.

M.

The zoom ring of the lens would literally just come off. It appeared that the glue just gave out. Obviously, it didn’t happen a lot but enough so that it wasn’t just an urban legend.
My wife does paper crafts and has a dispenser that basically applies the sticky part of tape. That's what I used to fix mine.

I'll add that I would have no issues buying another copy of the 12-32, though I would look for one of the plastic mount versions.

Back