Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 21

Kinda back, but only on days I can get outside in the yard. Still not right.

B7A5F38D-5D21-40E0-957F-86B0FFC67A2A.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As usual, I got the ferry to and from work so as to lighten the load of this challenge however I won't be going back to work till next Wednesday so getting that shot will be a bit more difficult till then. Anyway, this building, always a source of bemusement to any English person arriving in Sydney - it's basically one lone housing block akin to any council housing block in the UK but opposite the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, with probably the best views of those well known sights. Apparently they were going to build a load of these blocks for social housing but only got so far as one. The apartments, long since privately owned are like rabbit hutches inside but becuase of the block's location, they sell for approx $2 million each. Other pics from my boat rides are in the outtakes thread.

DSC_2807.jpg

210121-P1120457.JPG

High Road

Again I was lucky, I ordered a uv filter for this lens yesterday but only selected standard delivery, it arrived this morning before 09:30, and I'm 25 miles from the delivery depot, that's never happened before, is it a good omen?
Unusually for me this is a straight out of the camera jpeg with the only processing being to resize for the web and add a border. I think this fun little lens and I might well hit it off 😀 This was the last image from my short walk. Now to look at the rest of the images.
For interest the in camera jpeg settings are :- Photostyle - monochrome, Contrast +3, Sharpness +5, Noise reduction -5, Colour tone 0, Shadows +2, Highlights -4, iDynamic low.

Barrie

Last edited:

This is simply, for me, a jaw-droppingly beautiful photograph.

I know you have mentioned, in articulate fashion, some of the issues you've been having with your GX9 camera, Matt - but... damn! Any camera (and lets not forget the lens, too!) which can allow a photographer to produce images like this... is a worthy one.

Looking through some of the truly old Spanish-language books I inherited from my father's Bolivian family, I stumbled across a gem, published in 1920: Mitos, Supersticiones y Superviviencias Populares de Bolivia - a scholarly compilation of Bolivian myths and so-called superstitions. It even has, barely legible, a handful of pencilled notes, in my mother's handwriting, which must have been made during the 1930's, after she married my father and they moved to Bolivia for several years. The closest I have to my own personal Bolivian superstition is my small Ekeko figure, the Ekeko being the precolumbian deity of Abundance, among the native peoples of the altiplano, common to Bolivia and Peru.

A discovery like that, for me, is worth a photo. So, here it is---

PenF_Jan21_21_Mitos,Supersticiones.jpg

I've shot the bridge a few times during the day, but this is the first time at night. I really would've liked to do a Live Composite shot here to smooth the water a bit, but as I was standing in the driveway of a restaurant that's open at night...... I might try and go back, we'll see.

EM121133.jpg

Last edited:
Back