Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 22

Can't be arsed going out, as Sue has often said, Australia is often so hot it's just uninhabitable at times. So I'm making something out of the aggressive light coming through the blinds, why not.

DSC_2812.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sorry everyone, just a rather boring record shot today after a shopping trip for food, at least I can now eat for the next few days :) , locally made bread and pies amongst other things.

210122-P1120463.JPG

Shower activity builds to the west
This is the local farm shop between my village and the next village to the east. My cottage is just visible above the top rail of the post and rail fence about one third in from the left hand edge of the image under the building cumulus cloud.

Barrie

T is for Turnips!
These are grown all over the place at the moment. There is some debate whether they are actually radishes (I've seen them called "fodder radishes") but the farmers in these parts call them "stubble turnips" so I'm going with that.
View attachment 246751
Martin, them looks like what us down 'ere would call Mangle Wurzels! Graham tells me before it was converted the first floor of my cottage where I'm now sitting was used to store them!

Barrie

Martin, them looks like what us down 'ere would call Mangle Wurzels! Graham tells me before it was converted the first floor of my cottage where I'm now sitting was used to store them!

Barrie
Hmm, I always thought mangle wurzels were bigger to be honest. These are about 2” across. There are some mangles grown in Cheshire and Shropshire and they‘re usually more like 4 to 5” across.

Hmm, I always thought mangle wurzels were bigger to be honest. These are about 2” across. There are some mangles grown in Cheshire and Shropshire and they‘re usually more like 4 to 5” across.
You have the advantage of being able to measure them, not sure the leaves are right though, not to worry, they are a different species.

Barrie

I really like this, Matt - the tones, the angle, the colors - the more I see of this small lens, the more I love it. Am curious - do you remember what aperture more or less you took this at?
I usually set it f/4 when out and about (a shortcut to zone focusing with such a wide lens on such a small sensor); so it's either that or f/2 which I often use for close-up shots - the distance was about 20cm (0.6ft). Looking at the image again (rather than my spotty recollection of what I did) and sharpness fall-off, I'd say it was wide open.

And yes, this lens is surprisingly good as well as lots of fun to shoot with - it's much more versatile than its super-wide angle would suggest. It's also close to rectilinear at medium to far distances, which is a fantastic feat for a 7.5mm lens. Even close-up, distortion is easy to correct, and rendering is quite pleasing to my eye. Set to f/4 or f/5.6, you can use it set to zone focus and get consistently usable shots - it's very simple to use that way. It still pays to focus for any subject closer than 1.5m (5ft.) or so, regardless of aperture, though.

M.

There is a politician that commented Amazon was taking advantage of the USPS and if they wanted cheap shipping they should build their own shipping service. We live in a small town about 5 miles from an Amazon fulfillment center and there are 3 parking lots like this one. Once strip mall / shopping center, now.... Among the 3 probably a couple hundred delivery trucks.

EM121134.jpg

Went for a walk on this cold, gray Oregon day, up the narrow lane which goes alongside my old farmhouse and then disappears up into the foothills beyond. The road is empty of traffic about 99% of the time... and at moments, I've had the irrational urge to sit down in the middle of it (something that would be truly deranged on any other street or road) and just look around me.

Today, I gave in to the urge. For only a few seconds, however (why tempt fate?). And, wouldn't you know? I had the Pen F slung around my shoulder, so...

PenF_Jan22_21_feet_on_the_road.jpg

Last edited:
Back