Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 24

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jan 24, 2021
End Date
Jan 24, 2021
To celebrate E.T.A. Hoffmann's birthday, here's his best known and most influential work, a horror story - or "dark fairy tale" - called "The Sandman" (published 1816) which Sigmund Freud later used as a lead and an example when he wrote "The Uncanny" (published in 1919).

It's a timeless, yet disturbing story of trauma, madness and amour fou ...

Still a staple in literature class - but with our students getting younger and younger, I may have to retire it before my own retirement.

M.

Not a very good effort. But in terms of capturing a moving lizard this, with the avialable gear and PP at my disposal, is the best I could do.

DSC_2826.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nova is doing very well in her training. Took her to the dog park to play today. Had her do an extended place* while the other dogs played around her.

01-24-2021_ww_dogpark_XT030988.jpg

*Place is a command where the dog must stay in a predefined zone and cannot leave there until given the command the leave, which is "break".
My wife and I walked about 50 feet from her and stood there and talked for 5 minutes . She sat there like this the whole time. When we released her, she got praise and was out playing with her dog parks friends again for another hour.

She is very impressive for being able to do this at 7 months. IMHO, getting a dog trained up is one of the best investments you can make for not only you, but them as well.

Another cold, gray day in southern Oregon - alternating between light snow flurries and rain. A stay-indoors-and-drink-cups-of-Earl-Grey kind of a day. A day to putter about in slow-motion and take in the details--

Including the keyboard of the large and oh-so-heavy typewriter - from the L.C. Smith & Corona company - that my aunt, a historian and novelist, used for decades as her main writing machine---

PenF_Jan24_21_typewriter_keyboard.jpg

To celebrate E.T.A. Hoffmann's birthday, here's his best known and most influential work, a horror story - or "dark fairy tale" - called "The Sandman" (published 1816) which Sigmund Freud later used as a lead and an example when he wrote "The Uncanny" (published in 1919).

It's a timeless, yet disturbing story of trauma, madness and amour fou ...

Still a staple in literature class - but with our students getting younger and younger, I may have to retire it before my own retirement.

M.

Neil Gaiman, the brilliant modern master of supernatural and horror tales, is currently involved in an adaptation of his Sandman series of graphic novels, which will be released via Netflix later this year, supposedly. His Sandman series has little in common however with Hoffman's original story - Gaiman's brilliant series deals with the prosaic and intense problems of mythological deities - who are afflicted by most of the neuroses and psychoses of modern humans - and features an ongoing Sandman character who is the master of dreams and sleep.

A new load of firewood was delivered to our driveway yesterday afternoon, and I worked until well after dark trundling it to the back yard and stacking it. Just in time for cold, wet weather this week. I covered the whole stack with a huge piece of plastic after taking this image.

View attachment 247012
I know how you feel. I had to wait for the propane guy to come and fill the tank. It was brutal.

Neil Gaiman, the brilliant modern master of supernatural and horror tales, is currently involved in an adaptation of his Sandman series of graphic novels, which will be released via Netflix later this year, supposedly. His Sandman series has little in common however with Hoffman's original story - Gaiman's brilliant series deals with the prosaic and intense problems of mythological deities - who are afflicted by most of the neuroses and psychoses of modern humans - and features an ongoing Sandman character who is the master of dreams and sleep.
I own those graphic novels - everything, down to "Preludes and Nocturnes" ... Unsurpassed, absolutely awesome.

I've yet to buy any kind of streaming subscription - this might make me do it. However, I'm just now thinking of actually watching some of the scenes - scary, really scary.

M.

No particular inspiration manifested this grey, chilly day. Doing the last dishes I found the too-ripe bananas (destined for banana bread, hopefully) seemed to have a similar level of energy to me.

View attachment 247076
The joy of bananas. When they get too ripe, you can console yourself with a banana bread. The only thing more wonderous is a zucchini bread, because otherwise I hate zucchini.

Back