Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 27

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jan 27, 2021
End Date
Jan 27, 2021
Here's a whimsical take on one of imagitation's masters:

Today is Lewis Caroll's (or rather, Charles L. Dodgson's) birthday ...

And here's a nice one - no less whimsical, referring to the novel ...

M.

I guess today's image is a homage to the work on rural life in Devon conducted by the photographer James Ravilious, although he would have wanted to portray someone at work in the vegetable patch.

210127-P1120542.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Allotment in the early morning rain

Barrie

This was a 12.01am effort to get in for today's entry, but it's not till now, 10.01pm that I'm posting it. Image not that good, but it's the best I can do with this lens at night. What's particularly not good is that the lens was focusing on the "Keep Left" sign and look how that was rendered. Or maybe this is a bad workman blaming his tools.

DSC_2835.jpg

Last edited:
I've lived in this neighborhood 25 years, and just this morning noticed the strange growth formation of this Cherry tree that I've walked past hundreds of times. The bark at the top and bottom are so different, it looks like it grew from the stump of a different species, but it's all part of the same tree. I'm guessing it was cut all the way back to a stump at one point, and grew back.

Day 27.JPG

I've lived in this neighborhood 25 years, and just this morning noticed the strange growth formation of this Cherry tree that I've walked past hundreds of times. The bark at the top and bottom are so different, it looks like it grew from the stump of a different species, but it's all part of the same tree. I'm guessing it was cut all the way back to a stump at one point, and grew back.

View attachment 247271
Tony, that looks very much like a grafting mark, so the young tree has been grafted to a different rootstock, very often done with fruit trees to improve the yield.

Barrie

This was a 12.01am effort to get in for today's entry, but it's not till now, 10.01pm that I'm posting it. Image not that good, but it's the best I can do with this lens at night. What's particularly not good is that the lens was focusing on the "Keep Left" sign and look how that was rendered. Or maybe this is a bad workman blaming his tools.

View attachment 247248

I really like this, rayvonn.
It has a moody, mysterious, midnight quality to it.
Or, rather - what one can't see - as well as what isn't in focus - work really well together, here.

A gray, cold day but the light snowfall from yesterday has already melted.
Last night I was re-reading some poems by Edgar Allan Poe.
This morning my thoughts turned to the celebrations of el Día de los Muertos, the 'Day of the Dead'.
And to this small Calavera couple whom I bought, some years ago, in Mexico City.
They seem to be enjoying the brisk winter air---

PenF_Jan27_Novios_Calaveras.jpg

Tony, that looks very much like a grafting mark, so the young tree has been grafted to a different rootstock, very often done with fruit trees to improve the yield.

Barrie
I sent this image to a buddy of mine who is a forester at a nearby university, and he confirmed exactly what you said. Odd to see it it a residential neighborhood, even a semi-country one like ours.

I sent this image to a buddy of mine who is a forester at a nearby university, and he confirmed exactly what you said. Odd to see it it a residential neighborhood, even a semi-country one like ours.
Ornamental trees can be grated onto hardier rootstock, and as the tree ages the difference between the rootstock and the graft can become more distinct.

Back