Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 30

Quite a bit of cleaning and house maintenence to be done today. Wasn't looking forward to it yesterday and don't fancy it now. Need to be kicked out of this slump, hopefully this will do it. Btw, is it me or is IMO age stabilisation less required when using a dslr? I never seem to use or even think of it when using a dslr yet slow shutter speeds never seem to be a problem. Same with rangefinders too. Perhaps a balance/ weight issue, mirror less camera are generally light by comparison.

DSC_2864.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
It's time to recognise that today is a complete washout, the rain started just after 09:00 and the latest weather radar shows it has hardly moved since then with a large arc of it across us. So having made certain that my nearest neighbour had gone to bed (I saw them outside at 07:35 hunting around my cottage) I took this image of their home as a safety shot earlier this morning predicting that the weather would otherwise defeat me.

210130-P1120590.JPG

You might recall that my entry for day 29 showed a barn falling into disrepair and I said that it spelt the end for a resident pair of barn owls. In September I detected barn owl activity in the Dutch Barn alongside my cottage. I mentioned this to my landlord Graham and floated the idea of possibly erecting a nest box in there. I was aware of some banging coming from his workshop and just five hours later he rang my doorbell and invited me out to see the new box both built and erected. I watched that evening and was witness to the arrival of a barn owl as dusk approached which flew into the barn and landed on the box. As far as I know it has roosted in there every day since. I have seen two owls together at times but only one seems to be roosting here, hopefully the second bird is still alive and roosting elsewhere which is quite normal behaviour for the species.
I am sorry that the story behind today's image is probably better than the image itself.

Barrie

I'd love to see the results when you're really trying, Matt. That is just brilliant.
Thanks a lot, Martin, you're too kind. Let me just say that water trickling down your neck really doesn't help ;)

On a side note: The tiny Laowa lens is a true champion at opening up opportunities you normally couldn't use (or even see). This is a good example: I could (and really had to) get close while still getting everything I needed into the frame. That's really fun - and inspiring.

M.

A trio of large and very vocal Red-shoulder Hawks was zipping through and over our neighborhood as I walked our dog at sunrise this morning. I missed on a couple of better opportunities, including once when one of the hawks had circled over the ravine and came zipping back through the woods low over the roofs from my left, loudly announcing its presence. I was just too slow to try to frame it against the background. This is probably as good as I'll ever get with BIF.

Day 30.JPG

Oh I think I do, and I probably wouldn't want to come back.

Barrie
It's hard to appreciate that this good-sized parking lot was empty except for parking on the edge, which is allotted to cadets. So this vehicle was sitting all by itself in the middle, kind of on display with a bit of a menacing look. That pipe one the roof is just a pole, but it looks like a gun barrel. It obviously for fun because there are two mountain bikes attached to the back. I was more attached to the Jeep Gladiator pick-up truck on the edge, but that's just because I'm American.

It's hard to appreciate that this good-sized parking lot was empty except for parking on the edge, which is allotted to cadets. So this vehicle was sitting all by itself in the middle, kind of on display with a bit of a menacing look. That pipe one the roof is just a pole, but it looks like a gun barrel. It obviously for fun because there are two mountain bikes attached to the back. I was more attached to the Jeep Gladiator pick-up truck on the edge, but that's just because I'm American.
I owned and drove a Land Rover Defender for several years, but it wasn't as well fitted out as that one.

Barrie

I owned and drove a Land Rover Defender for several years, but it wasn't as well fitted out as that one.

Barrie
My wife & I had a very old one for a while. We loved it even though it had the worst power to weight ratio of any car ever (possibly) and leaked like a sieve when it rained. We had to sell it when the AA said they wouldn’t come and fix it any more, which was annoying as we’d just about solved all its problems. I would really love a newish one.

My wife & I had a very old one for a while. We loved it even though it had the worst power to weight ratio of any car ever (possibly) and leaked like a sieve when it rained. We had to sell it when the AA said they wouldn’t come and fix it any more, which was annoying as we’d just about solved all its problems. I would really love a newish one.
The handbook states that Land Rover know they leak, they won't accept any claims for a leaking model and that there are sufficient air gaps around the floor pan for the water to run out again, love it :). Mine did have an electrically heated windscreen, much recommended.

Last edited:
Went skiing this morning at the local southern Oregon alpine mountain, but on my way back home, the large interstate freeway was closed due to an accident, so I was obliged to take a detour, down along and through the old winding road which, a century ago, before the time of freeways and expressways, was the only way through this area. The road is filled with twists and turns and more twists...and the nearby trees have some even more interesting twists to them---

PenF_Jan30_21_Caution#2.jpg

Last edited:
Back