Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021 - day 31

It does feel good to get to this stage and I've been thinking of getting to this stage for at least the last few days now. I did momentarily veer off track a couple of times, spending one morning with a rangefinder and wide angle lens as well as a few shots during the month with the GRIII, but overall I was quite happy with my discipline in staying focused to the challenge. There's a number of lenses I can't wait to get back into post challenge and here's two of them as my final entry. Well done to everyone completing and thanks to everyone that nearly/ couldn't quite make it. It was nice participating in picture taking in priority to just talking about gear.

DSC_2873.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
So ends what has been a rather unsatisfactory challenge as far as I'm concerned, thrown off my theme after day 4 (just as i was beginning to feel comfortable with it despite being out of my normal genre) due to government requests to restrict our activities for well known reasons which meant I had to fall back on my small and well photographed parish. This morning symbolises my frustrations, drizzle falling now with more heavy rain arriving imminently and due to last all day means a grab shot just yards from my front door where I see these subjects parked virtually every day. I did at least have an excuse to change equipment part way through with the purchase of the Panasonic 12-32mm lens and that did help sustain me through to the finish, sadly a rather damp and soggy finish.

210131-P1120618.JPG

Tractors in the rain

And no, I didn't really mean to finish with these.

Barrie

I managed a few shots on a walk this morning, which is lucky as I have just about run out of steam. I've enjoyed doing the challenge, at least the alphabet part, or 26/31 of it, and definitely enjoyed seeing some great shots from everyone else. It shows how difficult it for the Northern Hemipshereans in January, certainly in England which is very near its worst (February being the absolute worst!).
Anyway, I quite liked this one. It's a tree stump in a hedgerow which was further savaged by the flail that passed by.
20210131-P1011453.jpg

So ends what has been a rather unsatisfactory challenge as far as I'm concerned, thrown off my theme after day 4 (just as i was beginning to feel comfortable with it despite being out of my normal genre) due to government requests to restrict our activities for well known reasons which meant I had to fall back on my small and well photographed parish. This morning symbolises my frustrations, drizzle falling now with more heavy rain arriving imminently and due to last all day means a grab shot just yards from my front door where I see these subjects parked virtually every day. I did at least have an excuse to change equipment part way through with the purchase of the Panasonic 12-32mm lens and that did help sustain me through to the finish, sadly a rather damp and soggy finish.

View attachment 247591
Tractors in the rain

And no, I didn't really mean to finish with these.

Barrie
I have rather an affinity for tractors, I always enjoy when you post them!

View attachment 247614

Done! And with a shot that illustrates what the lens can do (wide open, very close to the point of focus - fun to do, impossible to get with other lenses) :)

M.

Ohhhh boy, you are sooo right, Matt: this shot truly does illustrate what your tiny Laowa lens can do.

It's also truly a great image.

Seeing what you have done with this lens + this camera - and of course through the way you see the world, that is, through your eyes, metaphorically speaking - has opened my eyes to a number of things. I'm really glad you picked this particular combo to shoot with this month. Muchas gracias, dude!

After seeing a month of remarkable and cool images from such a fine community of great photographers, and from and of places that I now find myself wishing I could visit, I'm feeling the gnawings of an itch that's hard to scratch in the current socially-distanced and travel-unfriendly pandemic: wanderlust*. So my last entry for Day 31 is made in the hopes that, one of these days, it will seem easier again to get behind the wheel... and drive.

PenF_Jan31_21_Get_in_the_Car.jpg

* Be forewarned: looking again (and again) through the pages of 'Accidentally Wes Anderson' also exacerbates the aforementioned wanderlust.

Last edited:
So I get up after having worked last night and as I'm puttering around there's this loud racket and cat fight sounds in the back room. Except I only have one cat. I go back there and she's on the spare bed grooming and I'm like "wtf, Furball?" "Well, Hoooman, there was this other Kat outside and I had to defend the Haus!"

DSC_2424.jpg

Looking out our front window around 4:30 AM. A weak system of cold with mixed rain and snow moved in last night. This is expected to last much of the week. Typical winter mix around here. Big snows happen, but they are not the norm.....
We get the big snows.
And so January ends in snow. After taking this, I went around and shook all my smaller trees to get the snow off. We lost a few branches on the large trees, but that's a project for the spring......
Headed our way, should be here starting tomorrow night, Monday, and lasting until Tuesday. Fun times ahead.

Back