Name
Matt
Start Date
Jan 9, 2021
End Date
Jan 9, 2021
Take it as it was conceived (with lots of tongue in at least four cheeks):

And here's a more palatable version of the general idea:

Most people are more familiar with version "4" ... but "1" appeared alongside "9" on the iconic White Album (I own the original vinyl ...).

M.

A gift from Japan. I liked the logo on the box.

DSC_2684.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This wretched lockdown has caused me to abandon yet another of my resolutions for this challenge, and that was NOT to photograph a tractor during the whole month, or at least until the 31st! In my defence I claim this one found me, it's actually photographed from the kitchen door of my cottage. I preferred the composition of the image I'll post in the outtakes, except for one thing, it doesn't show the implement that the tractor is fitted with, namely a horrible flail that does so much damage to the hedges. The other annoyance was that most of my posted images have been with the jpeg from the camera using the monochrome settings. Once out of the camera some tweaking in GIMP gets an acceptable image. That almost always involves adjusting the levels and then either shadows/highlights or brightness/contrast. This time I was faced with a coloured jpeg out of the camera, at sometime in setting the filter in photostyle I must have jogged the cursor dial and moved the style from monochrome to scenery, it's got such a hair trigger touch to it, perhaps the most annoying thing about the camera. I don't recall it being that sensitive when new.

210109-L1050127.JPG

Murdering the hedges

Barrie

This wretched lockdown has caused me to abandon yet another of my resolutions for this challenge, and that was NOT to photograph a tractor during the whole month, or at least until the 31st! In my defence I claim this one found me, it's actually photographed from the kitchen door of my cottage. I preferred the composition of the image I'll post in the outtakes, except for one thing, it doesn't show the implement that the tractor is fitted with, namely a horrible flail that does so much damage to the hedges. The other annoyance was that most of my posted images have been with the jpeg from the camera using the monochrome settings. Once out of the camera some tweaking in GIMP gets an acceptable image. That almost always involves adjusting the levels and then either shadows/highlights or brightness/contrast. This time I was faced with a coloured jpeg out of the camera, at sometime in setting the filter in photostyle I must have jogged the cursor dial and moved the style from monochrome to scenery, it's got such a hair trigger touch to it, perhaps the most annoying thing about the camera. I don't recall it being that sensitive when new.

View attachment 245321
Murdering the hedges

Barrie
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Barrie. The flail is a barbarous implement. It‘s not quite so bad on the tops of the hedges, but the poor sides are wrecked twice yearly by these things.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Barrie. The flail is a barbarous implement. It‘s not quite so bad on the tops of the hedges, but the poor sides are wrecked twice yearly by these things.
That's one failing with my landlord Graham, once a farmer, always a farmer, he seems to love using his flail. I'm trying to educate him but it's a struggle. I did get him to allow me to try and lay a very short section of hedge near the cottage, not that I've really laid a hedge before, but we'll see how it goes.
Barrie

View attachment 245321
Murdering the hedges

Barrie
It just wouldn't have been the same without a tractor.

This challenge really got me playing around with this new lens. Didn't like it at first. Slow to focus and noisy in comparison with its L-family. I never did macro. But now I really appreciate this prime and its possibilities..
IMG_2292.jpg

Last edited:
Back