Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: discussion

I'm with you guys on this subject, for sure. Overly complicated, "computer-y" cameras are incredibly frustrating, and I would lump the number of tiny physical buttons both Oly and Panasonic puts on their cameras into this general complaint as well. I like to carry my cameras in my hand, and I like to leave them on for quick response when I see something - but most M4/3 cameras make it very hard to carry something in one hand without accidentally pressing all sorts of tiny buttons and changing far too many things. I know some have operation control locks - doesn't Olympus have this in physical form? Panasonic puts it in the menus, which is another bit of fiddliness, but I guess setting it to an out-of-the-way physical Fn button that I'm not likely to accidentally hit might work.

I want a camera (and this is apparently too much to ask, because I still haven't found one) which can act like a simple, old-fashioned all-mechanical camera when I'm shooting, and then can act like a sophisticated computer when I want to go in and edit RAWs afterwards. I don't need bells and whistles when I'm shooting, but I do want them in the form of top tier file output. With camera manufacturers going to lengths to make their JPEGs ooze style, there's more and more to be said for getting a look in-camera, but I don't want to wade through menus at time of shooting. I want that to be an option after the fact. I wish there was a way to have this bipolar camera that I want to exist, maybe something like the Pixii rangefinder which offloads screen and everything else to your phone, and the body just shoots. I like that duality of experience.

In other news: I think this challenge is helping me overcome one of my main objections initially to the KP: wifi phone transfer is prohibitively slow. I worked out a solution before the challenge started, to be fair, but as I've used it for every day so far this month, I've been finding it to be extremely useful: I bought a small USB-C card reader, very small, sturdy metal construction and can slip into pockets without even noticing it's there. I can pull out the SD card and stick it in this reader and into my phone and instantly browse through the daily folders the KP creates on the card, view photos, zoom in, and select all the files I want to transfer to the phone memory for editing and posting. As Snapseed works pretty well with the KP DNGs, it's a good on-the-go solution for me. This kind of capability has become one of the fundamental things I look for in a camera, I just don't have a lot of time very often to sit down at the desktop for transferring, editing and sharing photos.

Note to self: Don't try to use a camera with no weather-sealing again in any winter challenge again - I almost stumbled over the very inclement weather today. I found a solution, but not one I like very much.

Otherwise, as many have note, yes, the GX9 is a camera capable of fine images (not that today's is the best proof of that). But also yes, it's fiddlier than it needs to be, even given its generic, but basically usable button/dial layout. That's due to interface and software decisions I don't see the benefit in except if the engineers targeted less experienced users as the main audience for this camera - which is possible. It's not *bad* - but it gets in the way of taking the image the way I want to clearly too often for my liking (today was a case in point - fiddling with focus was not feasible in the dripping cold; it should have been much more straightforward).

Anyhow, if things work, they work out well - as is so often the case. Today - they didn't. But it seems I just squeezed through ...

M.

One thing this first 14 days has shown me is how much I miss using my Nikon Z6!

Don't get me wrong, the Fuji XT3 is brilliant, but with normal work being at an all time high, I really am only having time each day to go out and shoot for the SIJ and not much else.

Another thought for me too, is that I might challenge myself in February to make that a "lo-fi" month. I'll have to go out with one of the following cameras - get ONE shot and ONE shot only for the day. Whatever develops on the film, or whatever shows up in the memory card when I get home is all I got.
  1. Lomo Insta'Wide
  2. Diana F+ Instax
  3. SX-70
  4. Yashica Y35
  5. Digital Holga
That could be an interesting experiment and not something that would cost a lot in film. One shot a day is not that horrible.

Don't get me wrong, the Fuji XT3 is brilliant, but with normal work being at an all time high, I really am only having time each day to go out and shoot for the SIJ and not much else.

Another thought for me too, is that I might challenge myself in February to make that a "lo-fi" month. I'll have to go out with one of the following cameras - get ONE shot and ONE shot only for the day. Whatever develops on the film, or whatever shows up in the memory card when I get home is all I got.
  1. Lomo Insta'Wide
  2. Diana F+ Instax
  3. SX-70
  4. Yashica Y35
  5. Digital Holga
That could be an interesting experiment and not something that would cost a lot in film. One shot a day is not that horrible.

That sounds fun. Go for it.

Worst part of a January challenge for me is how drab it is a lot of the time. While we do have days that are sunny but biting cold this time of the year, much of the past two weeks have just been cold and gloomy. Yesterday and today have had plenty of sun, but tomorrow we're supposed to be right back to drizzly and overcast.
I know what you mean. On top of it, the days are so short that by the time I get out of work, it's dark. I've been trying to use that to my advantage and get dark, moody out of doors shots with reflections, lights, puddles and rainfall, all that. Of course, Oregon is bipolar during the winter and while we had a week of really stormy, dramatic weather, the last day and a half have been clear.

Note to self: Don't try to use a camera with no weather-sealing again in any winter challenge again - I almost stumbled over the very inclement weather today. I found a solution, but not one I like very much.
It's raining here today, so I am glad I picked a sealed kit this time.

I'd love a simple sealed range finder with great AF, IBIS, and a tilt screen

1. Lomo Insta'Wide
  2. Diana F+ Instax
  3. SX-70
  4. Yashica Y35
  5. Digital Holga
Sounds interesting - until you consider ending up in a situation that offers multiple opportunities. I'd be stressed out no end :rolleyes:

Earnestly, if you feel like trying that, I'd love to hear about your experiences. I'd never dare to limit myself that thoroughly ...

M.

Sounds interesting - until you consider ending up in a situation that offers multiple opportunities. I'd be stressed out no end :rolleyes:

Earnestly, if you feel like trying that, I'd love to hear about your experiences. I'd never dare to limit myself that thoroughly ...

M.

I would hedge my bets and take a digital camera with me also....but I would force myself to make one good exposure with the lo-fi setup.
I try not to be a masochist. LOL

One thing that might keep me closer to home for the next few days is the potential for violent protests. I'm not commenting one way or the other, just stating the facts that I have.
I work for the State of Ohio, and we got told that from 1/15 at 5pm until 8am 1/21, our state buildings will be shut down to only necessary personnel (already limited for stay at home work order for COVID), and that they are basically going to be shutting downtown Columbus down until then. I believe they are trying to minimize hostility during any protests or marches. I'll be fine watching from my TV set.

I'll most likely stay at home with my family, but if I do go out, it will be some place far from the hustle and bustle of the cityscapes, for sure....that does limit my field of opportunity somewhat.

I'll have some images, and hopefully not just "hand model" pictures with the assistance of my better half! :)

Not today either :(

D3C59042-C816-4B91-9FB1-467D0F123A73.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back