Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: discussion

Well, classes start tomorrow and I have 41 smiling faces in my general chemistry class at 10, a combination of live, zoom, and a few astral projection. It takes me 10 minutes just to turn on all the tech and start the programs. My research student then comes in at 11:30. A job can be a significant distraction to a photographic hobby. I do notice that I find myself wishing for the X-S10, or, probably more to the point, the 16-80. That lens can spoil you really quickly.

And not today or tomorrow. Haemoglobin is in the toilet. 2 bags of packed cells to start, and I am to be in hospital overnight.

4B902444-10B4-4F43-915B-B08349E5775C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all, going home tomorrow, poor Toby is out on the street overnight having refused to go in to the house when my friend went to feed him. He probably wont talk to me for days. Haemoglobin is back to normal but no hot food, no hot showers, no hot drinks, and no nose picking. LOL. 2 days I have to go without coffee!!!
Tough stuff - but great to hear you're on the mend!

M.

This is my first Single In.

Is it normal right about now to be struggling a little or is it just the lack of anything good out there to shoot? Or a little bit of everything.

I would have came up empty today had it not been for some persons trash that caught my eye. I literally had just that one frame today.

I’m used to having a pretty tight shooting schedule some months, but trying to come up with something quality each day, and during this time of year here is very taxing. I’ve already missed 2 days.

Never the less, I soldier on, as I made a commitment and I always stick to my word. If I’m in, I’m in.

Is it normal right about now to be struggling a little or is it just the lack of anything good out there to shoot? Or a little bit of everything.

I would have came up empty today had it not been for some persons trash that caught my eye. I literally had just that one frame today.

I’m used to having a pretty tight shooting schedule some months, but trying to come up with something quality each day, and during this time of year here is very taxing. I’ve already missed 2 days.

Never the less, I soldier on, as I made a commitment and I always stick to my word. If I’m in, I’m in.
I definitely get this way, and have, earlier this month. Right now we're away from home for a couple nights, and the welcome change of scenery has helped a lot. But I have found that picking either an unfamiliar kit or one which hasn't really worked out perfectly yet is one of the best ways to get in and stay in it. I hadn't plumbed the depths of the KP's JPEG quality, or of the camera quite yet either, so that helps - even on a down day, I can usually manage something boring and a little exploration of how the system works. I do worse when I try to stick to resolutions like this with gear I'm comfortable and familiar with.

Normal and this time of year (not to mention everything the world is going through right now) can make it harder. In the summer it's easy to just go for an evening walk and find something. In the winter I tend to fall back on things around the house, food, cats, and things I've shot before.

That last one can be part of the personal challenge over different challenges. Several of my shots are the same from challenge to challenge with different camera and lenses just to be able to compare them. It can be interesting to compare focal lengths, lens rendering, etc.

The "Quality" part can be hard. Over the course of several challenges I've post many I would call quality shots. I've also posted snap shots of interesting things. I posted snap shots of things that in some way affected my day. And I've posted well executed shots of pretty basic stuff just to get something. If it was easy all the time would it be called a challenge?

I agree with what has been said so far; just one thought: There's the idea of the safety shot - carry the camera everywhere and shoot stuff you normally wouldn't; that mindset helps you getting shots, and at times provides opportunities you wouldn't have been able to use.

I carry my camera bag more or less all the time during challenges (which means that I've carried it daily for the last 295 days ... :)).

M.

The first one is by far the hardest, I’d go so far as to say not pleasant. And you’ve made it past the half way point. But it is a challenge.

It’s comforting to know that this is normal and not just me being a rube about it.

I struggle personally of not just throwing something out there just to have a shot. I want the shot to be so thing “special”, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that is not realistic.

Not saying I should phone it in, but sometimes, I might need to just get a shot to keep going.

It’s comforting to know that this is normal and not just me being a rube about it.

I struggle personally of not just throwing something out there just to have a shot. I want the shot to be so thing “special”, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that is not realistic.

Not saying I should phone it in, but sometimes, I might need to just get a shot to keep going.
Hi Andrew, we all struggle, I've found this one particularly taxing due to covid restrictions mostly. Not even the top photographers can get great shots every day. One of my favourite photographers, James Ravilious who photographed rural life in Devon for the Beaford Arts Centre left over 79,000 negatives amassed over 17 years. That works out at 13 shots a day, although his contact sheets show he wasn't photographing every day, a whole sheet might cover one assignment. Of that 79,000 he marked 1308 as "best", that's about 1 every 5 days over those 17 years. If any of us can get 6 shots we'd label as best during this challenge I'd be surprised. Sadly some days it will just be a shot to nothing, that's the way it goes. As others have said, all a case of being prepared for the unexpected and able to take advantage of it when it comes along.

Barrie

I agree with what has been said so far; just one thought: There's the idea of the safety shot - carry the camera everywhere and shoot stuff you normally wouldn't; that mindset helps you getting shots, and at times provides opportunities you wouldn't have been able to use.

I carry my camera bag more or less all the time during challenges (which means that I've carried it daily for the last 295 days ... :)).

M.
A local photographer is on 4130, pretty sure I'd never come close.

Tim Rice Daily Pic

Did the best I could but now I’m out. Back muscles in spasm, nose still isnt done with me, I’m a bit of a wreck and just can’t get on with it. Next time, maybe.
Thanks a lot for soldiering on for so long, Sue! My best wishes for speedy recovery - and of course you're welcome whenever you feel you're ready!

M.

Back