Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: Offshoot - Film Weekends

Name
Andrew
Start Date
Jan 1, 2021
End Date
Jan 31, 2021
Alright, as the Commissioner has ruled this acceptable, here is a bonus round, or a side quest, involving Single in January. Each weekend, shoot and develop some film. My rules are: I have to either shoot or finish off a roll over the weekend and post a scanned photo from the weekend (no photos from earlier in the week, they have to be shot on the day they're posted for, though if I get good ones mid-week they will end up elsewhere on the site). I don't know whether I'll stick to one day or try for both Saturday and Sunday, it will depend on how busy I am so I am not committing to both days, but I will try for both.

I know some others of us were thinking about shooting film, so if anyone else wants to throw their hat into the ring for this side quest, I'll welcome the company! You could consider this an encouragement to shooting and developing some film, especially if you've been out of the habit. Heck, most of us have the time, with the way our leisure activities have been curtailed. I would say that you can make the rules fit whatever you want to do, with the loose concept of "film weekend" but I'd settle for film developed anytime during the month.

Since I know what's coming and have already two challenges running, I have no hope of doing the whole thing this time around, but I *will* try to join in at least once.

Now, I have to get a big round of development going anyway - this is a good incentive! Once the stash is done, I can switch to single roll development (that's the actual goal behind the plan) - and I should even be able slip in the odd "current" roll even now (though my capacity is limited - four rolls in a session, I cannot hang up more to dry). This would land me right within your regime, Andrew!

But again, I'll not set my goals that high - one week would be great already!

M.

I think "Film Weekends" is a loose enough term to even accommodate previously shot film, if freshly developed! I set my rules up mainly because I've accumulated a fair amount of film and want to cycle through more of it.

I shot about a half roll Friday and today, tomorrow I'll finish it off and develop. It's HP5, I'm thinking Rodinal semi-stand for a grainy look. We'll see how it ends up!

What about instant film? Fuji or Polaroid?
That's a good point. Those work for me! I think the sentiment was generally to experience something besides digital during a Single In month, and Instax and Polaroid are great ways to do that.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to treat me to one of those new Mint InstantKon SF70 cameras I'd totally accept one! My wife enjoys the Instax Mini 90 Classic which she has had for years. I'd like to find a good square format model, since the image area is quite a bit larger.

That's a good point. Those work for me! I think the sentiment was generally to experience something besides digital during a Single In month, and Instax and Polaroid are great ways to do that.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to treat me to one of those new Mint InstantKon SF70 cameras I'd totally accept one! My wife enjoys the Instax Mini 90 Classic which she has had for years. I'd like to find a good square format model, since the image area is quite a bit larger.

Awesome! I'd love to have used my SX-70, but since that is not in play at the moment - I need to decide between my Instax Wide, Instax Mini or my SUN600.

I might even get one of these:

I don't have an Instax Square yet and my JollyLook Square Wood instant camera was delayed until July 2021.

Okay, it's almost 10PM, this is later than I had hoped for posting the weekend's effort, but here we go. Saturday's shot:

Untitled (16).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Today (Sunday) I got some shots I liked better, here's the pick:

Untitled (26).jpg

This awesome tree sits beside the highway between Bandon (my town) and Langlois, a small town south of here. I always pass by it on Sundays heading to and from church, and always think about stopping and photographing it. This time I actually did it.

Here's the runner-up for Sunday:

Untitled (35).jpg

All taken with the Ricoh 500G and its 40mm lens (have I mentioned how much I like 40mm?) on HP5+ and developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 45 minutes with first minute full agitation, then 5 seconds each minute from 2-5, then 5 seconds at 15 min, 30 min and 45 min. That recipe worked pretty well for Fomapan 100 so I thought I'd give it a try with HP5. Looks about like how other semi-stand recipes do, HP5+ is a resilient film so it's going to look how it wants to look with given developers.

Next weekend, Bergger Panchro 400!

After taming the Lab-Box (or rather, its 120 back), I'll definitely join in - but I'll do the full haul and shoot a role, develop a role and scan some images (or at least one) during one weekend. Just for fun! I'm not sure if I can do it this week or next, but I'm dead set on making it happen.

Thanks a lot for bringing this up - and for the first installment! :2thumbs:

M.

Mamiya 6 MF loaded with FP4+ and ready to go (so's the Nikon F-801s - but that's loaded with colour film: Kodak Pro Image 100); I'll take the Mamiya along with the GX9 and - in order to be able to catch the odd "normal" shot - the G1X III in my coat pocket as well. Should be fun (light's very variable - we'll see how it goes.

If it doesn't work out today, there's nothing to stop me from completing the roll next week.

M.

Buddhist temple in Columbus Ohio.

Lomography Belair X 6-12 Instax Back.
I used to have this camera, but sold it. This weekend, met up with a friend that also had one. I told him about the SIJ - Film Weekend Offshoot so he brought this and I took the Lomo Instant'Wide.

I asked if I could squeeze off a frame for old times sake and this is the result. We finally got some sun punching through the gloom.

IMG_3133.JPG

On a scanning note, I usually use the Google Photoscan app on my iPhone 11 pro Max, but found that the Polaroid app scanner is superior.

Well, I took the Pancro 400 out for some shots today in the Bessa-T. Only after I returned home did I realize... The last stuff I shot in the camera was 100 speed, and I forgot to change the ISO. :doh:

So Saturday's shots may be wildly overexposed. Maybe I'll try to pull process it a stop, and shoot the rest of the roll at 200. Or maybe I'll just cut my losses. Nothing that extraordinary happened today, anyway!

Yesterday I lost the light about 20 minutes after starting the walk - not helpful. I'll try again today.

Oh, and I'll have a Leica Sofort coming in next week, so, whatever happens, I'll have analogue shots to share :)

M.
My heart would do flip flops of joy if its an orange one! Has Leica discontinued this camera? Looking forward to seeing your shots. I don't have an instant camera but have occasionally pondered buying one (not necessarily the Leica as I prefer the square format) just for the childhood nostalgia.

My heart would do flip flops of joy if its an orange one! Has Leica discontinued this camera? Looking forward to seeing your shots. I don't have an instant camera but have occasionally pondered buying one (not necessarily the Leica as I prefer the square format) just for the childhood nostalgia.
Sorry, Karen, it's black ... That's the one *I* wanted from the beginning, before it was even available in that colour. I'm not sure if the Sofort is still current; anyhow, I got mine new at a considerable discount (that's why I finally pulled the trigger - I wasn't planning to at all).

I've always considered the Sofort the better Fujifilm Neo 90 - because while it's basically the same camera, handling is different: You can focus to infinity quickly, and the same goes for macro. I think Leica did a very good job of improving an already convincing product in this case.

I'll definitely post shots from it once it's here. I'm really looking forward to that - and I have more than one convenient workflow to get there, too.

Square format ... oh, yes! Unfortunately, there's no desirable camera for Fujifilm's offer on the market - even though I'm occasionally tempted by the Lomo'Instant Square Glass. If only Polaroid's current films were more reliable - I'd have the cameras to shoot them (and I will because I have some film left, but it's a gamble, and hideously expensive per picture). The MiNT SF70 will be interesting, but very expensive, in spite of all the features it offers (I have the RF70 already - I couldn't justify another MiNT camera ...).

As it is, square means medium format (6x6) at the moment - it could be worse ;) I really hope I can develop and scan the FP4+ out of the Mamiya 6 MF soon ... It's a pity that there's some work left to do today (not a lot - just enough to occupy me for another hour or so). But such is life ...

M.

Square format ... oh, yes! Unfortunately, there's no desirable camera for Fujifilm's offer on the market - even though I'm occasionally tempted by the Lomo'Instant Square Glass. If only Polaroid's current films were more reliable - I'd have the cameras to shoot them (and I will because I have some film left, but it's a gamble, and hideously expensive per picture). The MiNT SF70 will be interesting, but very expensive, in spite of all the features it offers (I have the RF70 already - I couldn't justify another MiNT camera ...).
The square is what really tempts me too, and I'm in the same boat, there just isn't the right camera out there yet. Mint is very desirable, especially with the free films gimmick, but too expensive. If a decent camera comes out that's a little less clumsy than the Lomography, I'm probably all over it.

I have the Polaroid OneStep 2, but the films are not nearly as good as the Instax.

Back