Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: Offshoot - Film Weekends

I've decided I'm going to post all the picks I like from the roll(s) developed on the weekend here. I had been going to create a different thread with other selections from these rolls, but I think they fit better here. So, with today's (Sunday the 10th) roll almost ready to scan, here are the other ones I liked from last weekend:

Untitled.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Untitled (4).jpg

Untitled (6).jpg

Untitled (9).jpg

Untitled (13).jpg

Untitled (21).jpg

Untitled (25).jpg

Untitled (27).jpg

Untitled (28).jpg

Untitled (29).jpg

This week's won't have as much variety. I took some good time out of the weekend last time, but I was at work part of this weekend for a software conversion, so I haven't had a lot of time.

I've decided I'm going to post all the picks I like from the roll(s) developed on the weekend here. I had been going to create a different thread with other selections from these rolls, but I think they fit better here. So, with today's (Sunday the 10th) roll almost ready to scan, here are the other ones I liked from last weekend:

View attachment 245535

View attachment 245536

View attachment 245537

View attachment 245538

View attachment 245539

View attachment 245540

View attachment 245541

View attachment 245542

View attachment 245543

View attachment 245544

This week's won't have as much variety. I took some good time out of the weekend last time, but I was at work part of this weekend for a software conversion, so I haven't had a lot of time.
Nice. I’m liking the look of the grain, especially in that self-portrait.

Alright, it's late and I'm about to head to bed, here are a couple picks from yesterday, the two-stops-overexposed experiment. I developed in Rodinal semi-stand again, 1 hour with a minute of agitation at first and 30 sec at 30 min. I trusted what they say, that Rodinal can compensate for a lot with a solution like this, and it turned out alright.

Untitled (4).jpg

Untitled (5).jpg

And then shot the rest of the roll at 400 on Sunday. It was a blustery day with a low tide and a lot of foam blowing across the shore.

Untitled (28).jpg

Untitled (15).jpg

Rodinal produces quite heavy grain with this semi-stand method, of course. And I think in the future I'm going to prefer doing 100-speed films in it the most. But this look can be a fun as well. I am happy with the looks of Pancro 400, it's more dramatic in its contrast than HP5+ but less so than Holga 400 or Fomapan 400.

Here are the remaining selections from weekend 2's roll of Pancro 400:

Untitled (2).jpg

Untitled (7).jpg

Untitled (11).jpg

Untitled (16).jpg

Untitled (24).jpg

Untitled (29).jpg

Untitled (31).jpg

Untitled (34)-2.jpg

Here goes: Fujifilm Instax Mini film, scanned with minimal pp (if at all - I did nothing but occasionally adjust the angle). All images shot and processed today; Polarr was only used for the resizing (and converting to JPEG).

Fujfilm Classic Neo 90:

2021-01-16-0007.jpg
2021-01-16-0006.jpg
2021-01-16-0005.jpg

2021-01-16-0003.jpg
2021-01-16-0002.jpg

2021-01-16-0004.jpg

Leica Sofort:

2021-01-16-0008.jpg
2021-01-16-0009.jpg

"Road's End" (my favourite shot of today):
2021-01-16-0010.jpg
2021-01-16-0001.jpg

Note that even though I made the images way smaller than the scan in terms of resolution, they're still considerably bigger than the originals. I still have the TIFFs, too.

I hope I can soon get back to developing (and scanning); I have already shot a roll for this thread!

M.

Last edited:
Some slightly older Instax Wide shots also scanned today, shot with the MiNT InstaKon RF70:

2021-01-16-0011.jpg

2021-01-16-0012.jpg
2021-01-16-0013.jpg

2021-01-16-0014.jpg

N.B. The last shot needed some serious distortion correction - the RF70's lens has severe pincushion distortion at closer distances.

M.

Roll shot & drying now! I only got like one or two shots Saturday, out a window, so Saturday's entry will be very boring. Sunday, today, I took the camera down to the shore. This weekend's roll was Fomapan 100, and my main object was to try out 3 39mm filters I just got in from the Bay, check my exposures and see what I can get. Sky filter, Orange and Red 25, so the compensation that I attempted to do was as follows: normal for the sky filter (shot those at 125 ISO, Fomapan 100 kind of needs the exposure brought down a little from what my Bessa-T thinks is accurate), 50-60 ish ISO for the orange (+1 stop to compensate for the filter plus letting the exposure meter figure it out from there) and for the orange, all the way down to 25 ISO for two extra stops, then letting the meter figure it out from there.

Alright, some images for this weekend. Saturday's shot turned out woefully underexposed, plus got more than its share of dust and scratches from hanging too close to the edge of the bathtub. I, however, created these rules, so I must man up and post it in all its inadequacy.

Untitled (4).jpg

Today's images turned out to have some exposure inconsistencies, which I expected, as I was really just looking to get the hang of the color filters. But more unfortunately, they also have some of the worst uneven development that I've seen, bromide drag or whatever. It causes lighter and darker strips coming down from the sprocket holes and was extra evident in all of the skies. I developed this roll in my old DF96 monobath. Methinks it may be time to throw this batch out. A couple better ones without too much to be seen, both I think with the orange filter:

Untitled (8).jpg

Untitled (16).jpg

One with bad uneven development marks:

Untitled (18).jpg

And the couple others I was reasonably happy with:

Untitled (22).jpg

Untitled (28).jpg

Untitled (30).jpg

That's it for this week. I developed two rolls in this batch, the other was a roll of HP5+ from last summer, which seems to have turned out better, without the uneven development as far as I can tell. Fomapan 100 is just really prone to these marks in DF96, even though I had it in the top spool in the tank. Oh well, next time I develop Fomapan 100 it's going to be in Rodinal again.

Alright, it's late and I'm about to head to bed, here are a couple picks from yesterday, the two-stops-overexposed experiment. I developed in Rodinal semi-stand again, 1 hour with a minute of agitation at first and 30 sec at 30 min. I trusted what they say, that Rodinal can compensate for a lot with a solution like this, and it turned out alright.

View attachment 245547

View attachment 245548

And then shot the rest of the roll at 400 on Sunday. It was a blustery day with a low tide and a lot of foam blowing across the shore.

View attachment 245550

View attachment 245549

Rodinal produces quite heavy grain with this semi-stand method, of course. And I think in the future I'm going to prefer doing 100-speed films in it the most. But this look can be a fun as well. I am happy with the looks of Pancro 400, it's more dramatic in its contrast than HP5+ but less so than Holga 400 or Fomapan 400.
Ok, I’ll stop complaining about the shadow slider.

2021-01-24-0001.jpg

The image looks very nice in person, and the scan (done with VueScan) is pretty okay - again, apart from resizing the result (in XnView this time), I didn't do any pp.

This procedure would definitely suit the "Lo-Fi" approach ... it's quick and adequate (not "good" by any stretch of the imagination).

N.B. I think that the PhotoScan app can produce very sharp and surprisingly true results - if only it was a bit more reliable and less prone to producing artifacts ...

M.

Well, I must admit that I failed this weekend, and the past week, to shoot even a single frame of film. Saturday I was busy with various things until it was practically dark outside, and the roll of HP5+ loaded into my 500G only has the potential of going up to 800, it's unfortunate that that body doesn't have 1600 speed available. Sunday (today) it is rainy and blustery outside, and I don't feel like engaging to the level of desperation necessary to shoot a whole roll. In addition, shooting and processing and scanning on a single day has been eating up too much of my time lately. So, as a half measure, I decided to develop one of the two rolls of B&W I still have leftover from shooting during the (covid) summer in our small downtown area. I'll post a few of those once I have them scanned - definitely not shot, but at least developed, during the challenge.

A few selects from the summer roll developed and scanned today:

Untitled (5).jpg

Untitled (4).jpg

Untitled (10).jpg

Untitled (13).jpg

Untitled (14).jpg

Next weekend, for sure, will be some HP5, I'm planning on filling the roll as much as possible over the week instead of in a couple of excursions on the weekend, hopefully more interesting results will... result.

That's a good point. Those work for me! I think the sentiment was generally to experience something besides digital during a Single In month, and Instax and Polaroid are great ways to do that.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to treat me to one of those new Mint InstantKon SF70 cameras I'd totally accept one! My wife enjoys the Instax Mini 90 Classic which she has had for years. I'd like to find a good square format model, since the image area is quite a bit larger.
Well...damn! I had intentionally not read this thread because I currently don't have the capacity to either develop any film for my handful of film cameras - or to have it quickly or conveniently developed for me - and that thought depressed me so in a moment of pique, I decided simply not to read or follow this thread. And now - 3 weeks later - I have read through it - and enjoyed it immensely, and----

Discovered that I could have participated with my current Instant film cameras. Damn! (I have both an Fujifilm Neo Classic and a cool Lomography Automat Glass... so make that double Damn!)

But since this is still the weekend - and since, counting this weekend, there are two weekends left in the month, if the Commissioner doesn't object, I'd like to join in, belatedly.

I have two Instax photos previously taken this month (on the 11th and the 22nd) which I'd like to post first - and then follow them up with one from THIS weekend - i.e. Sunday the 24th :) I hope the Commissioner will pardon my sin of lateness.

Here are my two Instax postings from earlier this month... and please pardon the technically-challenged nature of these scans: I don't have a handy real scanner, so I just downloaded one of (what I hope is) the better mobile camera scanning apps to my iPhone: "Snap" (developed by Igor Rinkovec, the Croatian code-warrior previously responsible for the now-discontinued Polar app).

The first, from 2 weekends ago, was taken with my Fujifilm Neo - which is loaded with black & white Instax film now --- taken outside, on my front porch---

Jan11_SelfPortrait_Neo.jpg

The 2nd, which I had some focus problems with, was taken earlier this week, with my Lomography Automat Glass, a seriously cool instant camera which in many ways is the opposite of the Fuji Neo: nothing is automatic and there are a handful of tiny (fiddly) controls which you have to get just right, or you'll mess up the colors, the focus, or other aspects of the shot. In this particular case, I messed up pretty much all of the above - but I rather liked the final look---

Jan23_Chair_Automat.jpg

Finally, as a bonus - here are both my cameras, side by side: the all-automatic Fujifilm Neo Mini 90 - and the Lomography Automat Glass---

Neo_Mini_90+Automat_Glass.jpg

Back