Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: outtakes day 1-6

Here’s why I’m staying in, today... It was earlyish, 7.18am, but its *summer* in Australia, and it should have been full sunshine by then. Last year fires, this year rain.

FFDAC9CE-E8F3-478E-BAC6-7BA4585A8292.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here’s why I’m staying in, today... It was earlyish, 7.18am, but its *summer* in Australia, and it should have been full sunshine by then. Last year fires, this year rain.

View attachment 244338
Complete opposite side of the globe from me, and our skies looked pretty similar. Rain all night and all day, but where we just started Winter, we were likely a lot colder, not far from the freezing mark.

Complete opposite side of the globe from me, and our skies looked pretty similar. Rain all night and all day, but where we just started Winter, we were likely a lot colder, not far from the freezing mark.
I must confess, Tony, that I am appreciating the milder weather, even though its rainy. Last year b this time I was wearing a mask outdoors because of the smoke from fires, and the temp was going to 40ºC and above... I can cope with 20 and 22º :) I’d love to have some of your snow and ice though

Technically still day zero for me, but I wanted to test some settings on the KP. The JPEG recipe I'm deciding to use came from the PentaxUser forum, and is based on the muted profile, with a cyan color tone and a bit of added contrast. I also turned sharpening down, along with highlights and boosted shadows a little, aiming to avoid the clinical look of digital cameras. We'll see how it goes.

IMGP1330.JPG

IMGP1338.JPG

IMGP1348.JPG

IMGP1349.JPG

Luck plays its part. This is an out of camera jpeg just before I obtained the shot submitted for day 2. I stepped forward a pace or two to eliminate the wall in the foreground and in so doing the gull on the left took flight and I was able to obtain the shot of it in flight which is my entry for the day. That was processed from the raw file and given a square crop to eliminate the cluttered and unnecessary background. The monochrome conversion was made in GIMP using mono mixer and the contrast was increased slightly to give the moodier effect that I'm after, certainly at the moment.

outtake-L1050021.JPG

Barrie

Back