Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: outtakes day 13-18

Day 13: Spotted dove in the shade of the tuckeroo tree... and the other shot was of Toby ignoring it.

7E487860-8E20-48E0-AE73-E576BA42AA55.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Went to a new to me park. It is called Walnut Woods and it has a section called "Tall Pines". The trees there are awesome and this time of year, the noon light is scraping across the trees. Thankfully I don't need to wait until 8pm like I do in the summer for this directional lighting.

01-13-2021_groveport_XT030730.jpg

01-13-2021_groveport_XT030736.jpg

01-13-2021_groveport_XT030744.jpg

01-13-2021_groveport_XT030746.jpg

01-13-2021_groveport_XT030752.jpg

Dag...if these are your outtakes! I want them. :)
Many thanks, as always, it was the light, not me. Lucky I had the perfect 5pm till 7pm timeslot.
I really like all three of these images - but the first one, of the boat, is my favorite.

Thanks Miguel. That’ll be the SS Ayrfield, a 1,140-tonne steam collier ship, which ran in Sydney during the very early part of the 20th Century, before being reassigned to assist as a transport ship for Australia during World War II. Over time, its inevitable decay has been met with the powerful forces of nature and more specifically the triumphant wild growth of a mangrove forest, which is now the ship’s primary tenant. Inevitably, the site is popular with local photographers and alternative tourists in Sydney. You know, the time to really get your camera out with that ship is at night with long exposure but I just don't get time to get to that part of Sydney during the evening.

Last edited:
Anyone enjoying the outtakes more?
Hi Ray, In terms of day 15 I enjoyed your outtake better than your day choice, the outtake was monochrome which suited the subject and I felt that your subject material for the day choice would have appealed to me more if it had been a monochrome image with a slightly stark rendering as befitted the stark urban nature of the image, but hey that's me, these days I'm more appreciative of the photographs of Bill Brandt for example than I ever used to be.

Barrie

While heading to the trestle pylons in my day 15 shot, I passed by this warming house on the ski trail. Reminds me of why, after the army taught me how, I did NOT keep up with cross country skiing!

DSC_2305.jpg

I chose a shot for the daily with the ducks taking off. This one is quite nice too, though.

DSC_2317.jpg

Back