Single In Single in January (SiJ) 2021: outtakes day 7-12

Nowhere near as interesting as the proceeding posts, but a B&W version of my day 10 entry.

DSC_2690 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A real jekyll and hyde lens. On the one hand I thought it managed to render my day 11 entry ok, but look at this - I purposely opened up the lens and it focused spot on the boat perfectly and exactly. If you zoom in on the boat you'll see what a dog's breakfast it made of it, well, at least compared to most lenses which I would expect to capture a lot more cleanly.

DSC_2696 copy.jpg

Still, it blows the Summicron out of the water for sunstars :LOL:

DSC_2706 copy.jpg

To be fair, it captured this one ok:

DSC_2703 copy.jpg

A real jekyll and hyde lens. On the one hand I thought it managed to render my day 11 entry ok, but look at this - I purposely opened up the lens and it focused spot on the boat perfectly and exactly. If you zoom in on the boat you'll see what a dog's breakfast it made of it, well, at least compared to most lenses which I would expect to capture a lot more cleanly.

View attachment 245584

Still, it blows the Summicron out of the water for sunstars :LOL:

View attachment 245585

To be fair, it captured this one ok:

View attachment 245586
Kind of what I experienced with the otherwise quite useful Olympus 14-150mm II - it had a couple of strong points (bokeh at the long end was fabulous), but quite a number of weaknesses, low maximum acuity being one of them. It was an okay lens overall, and really versatile - that's why I kept (and advocated) it for so long. But the truth is, even most cheaper (though shorter) zooms are sharper - some considerably so, like the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm; its nemesis was the clearly superior lens built into the cheap and cheerful Panasonic FZ1000. So, in the end, I had to move on. Anyhow, it's worth mentioning that the Nikon Z 24-200mm I'm now rocking as a superzoom is a totally different class of lens.

Still, Ray, you're doing quite a fine job of making the most out of Nikon's reputedly worst zoom lens ever :2thumbs:

M.

Last edited:
Day 11 Alternative. Drove down to Galveston to pick up something. There are a lot of old and new locomotives stored there.
The sun broke through almost a sunset and turned these parked locomotives golden.
Somehow the rendering seemed too much for me. It looked like this in reality but the photograph came out a bit too busy.
12CFA4F1-CDC1-4C40-8824-9B45E7139443_1_201_a.jpeg

Today - Day 11 - I wandered around the kitchen of my old house, photographing odds and ends. These are my 'outtakes' or alternatives from the day - but it was hard picking the official choice (a glass oil & vinegar 'dispenser', on a window ledge). The outtakes include pans, hanging suspended overhead from one of the pan-rack-hanging-thingies---

PenF_Jan11_21_kitchen_pans.jpg

This year's brightly-colored calendar which hangs on a nail in the wall--

PenF_Jan11_21_kitchen_calendar.jpg

The old cabinets, which are 'original' and date back to the house's construction in 1902---

PenF_Jan11_21_kitchen_cupboards.jpg

And finally, though technically it's not actually 'in the kitchen', but in a small hallway that runs alongside - and old piece of sheet music that belonged to previous generations, which has somehow morphed, over the years, into an item of décor--

PenF_Jan11_21_Vals_Poetico.jpg

I suspect each of the images has more sentimental value for me, than photographic value -- but there's something interesting and strange, to me at least, about seeing ordinary bits and pieces of my daily life, taken out of context and isolated in photographs.

210112-L1050163.JPG

210112-L1050169.JPG

Larry Walke with his rig from Stidston Farm, South Brent close to where I lived a few years ago waits to get through as Matt reverses

210112-L1050172.JPG

Matt opens the rear window and we have three or four minutes of welcome, if distanced, conversation

Barrie

Today - Day 11 - I wandered around the kitchen of my old house, photographing odds and ends. These are my 'outtakes' or alternatives from the day - but it was hard picking the official choice (a glass oil & vinegar 'dispenser', on a window ledge). The outtakes include pans, hanging suspended overhead from one of the pan-rack-hanging-thingies---

View attachment 245668

This year's brightly-colored calendar which hangs on a nail in the wall--

View attachment 245669

The old cabinets, which are 'original' and date back to the house's construction in 1902---

View attachment 245671

And finally, though technically it's not actually 'in the kitchen', but in a small hallway that runs alongside - and old piece of sheet music that belonged to previous generations, which has somehow morphed, over the years, into an item of décor--

View attachment 245672

I suspect each of the images has more sentimental value for me, than photographic value -- but there's something interesting and strange, to me at least, about seeing ordinary bits and pieces of my daily life, taken out of context and isolated in photographs.
I have to say, Miquel, I like all four of these shots. Light and processing and composition give a real sense of "my home as an art gallery".

My Day 12 alternatives or 'outtakes' are all photos I took of the old (19th century) half-falling-down cabin that stands close to my old farmhouse.

First is a monochrome version of the photo I posted today---

PenF_Jan12_21_Cabin_(monochrome).jpg

Then, going inside, the old screen door near the front of the cabin (which, the door I mean, I suspect is newer than the rest of the cabin itself, possibly dating back to near the very beginnings of the 20th century)---

PenF_Jan12_21_Cabin_door.jpg

Followed by a closer shot of the same front screen door---

PenF_Jan12_21_Cabin_door_handle.jpg

The roof of the cabin is falling apart and there are serious leaks, and the front door sits permanently open, so a great deal of moisture tends to accumulate here at times; looking down, I realized, in mixed horror and fascination, that fungi are growing on the wooden floor, by the open door---

PenF_Jan12_21_Cabin_floor_fungi.jpg

And finally, the exterior of the cabin - focusing on one of the newer nails. (I say 'newer' because a handful of nails used in the construction of this cabin were and are of the very old hand-forged variety.)

PenF_Jan12_21_Cabin_nail.jpg

Back