Single in January - So how's it going? Day 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly didn't go to plan today. When the rain cleared I went the 6 miles to Start Point hoping for some dramatic lighting effects, such as shafts of sunlight as the cloud cleared east. No chance. After my return I downloaded my shots and formatted the card. Only then did I realise that my camera had advanced it's number sequence and some of the shots had been in a different folder. Opps! they were lost and gone, more haste and all that.
Now I'm going to blow my reputation with what I've posted. My one and only, and that's not just today, shot of a lady walking her dogs, Barrie just doesn't do shots like that. Will I ever live it down :laugh1:

Barrie

On the contrary, a great shot. Are we spying a new direction - or should I more aptly say a "broadening" - in your photography Barrie? (y)

A bit sad to announce but I'm without a camera at the moment so I'm unable to continue :( I hope to be back photographing by the end of next week.

I'll still continue to comment though, you guys/gals are doing a fine job.

Reactions: BBW
Shooting every day with the thought that other people are going to be scrutinising what I post has made me look extra hard at what I'm producing - and what the camera is producing; I have been aware of the E-P2's limitations as far as noise and DR (didn't we used to call this latitude back in the mists of time?) are concerned for ages, but was reasonably happy to live with them. Yet even in the the flat dull grey stuff that passes for light here in January, I'm finding I'm capturing too many images that are severely compromised by unrecoverably blown areas.
I'd been using the DP almost exclusively for a few weeks before the challenge, so perhaps I got spoiled with that big fat Foveon's DR ... or maybe I need better technique ...

Yet even in the the flat dull grey stuff that passes for light here in January, I'm finding I'm capturing too many images that are severely compromised by unrecoverably blown areas.
I'd been using the DP almost exclusively for a few weeks before the challenge, so perhaps I got spoiled with that big fat Foveon's DR ... or maybe I need better technique ...

I found that with the E-p1, I had to use from 1/3 to 2/3 stop under exposure, to catch the burn-outs. Not a cure-all.

Reactions: pdh
"Serendipity was your best friend today, Barrie!" Quote from BB on my SIJ post

Serendipity continues to play a part today. I now have a name for the lady walking her dogs. A lady friend of mine who lives in the same village and who looks in here from time to time knows the lady I've photographed. I thought she was walking with a slight limp and that's because a couple of years ago she was knocked down by someone else's dog and broke her leg.
BTW the lady who informed me has been encouraged to do her own SIJ by the SIJ being carried out here, using a Leica/Panasonic 45mm since she is a botanist and so is doing mainly macro work with it.

Barrie

I think I might try going down to -0.7 and see how it goes.
As a matter of interest, when I got the DP2s I set it at -0.3 as a matter of course, but found that, if anything, I needed to slightly overexpose

the trouble is, if any of this works, I won't have any reason to buy the om-d that i can't afford and don't need

Well, I pulled out a couple. I did have one from yesterday and up it went along with one from today.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking right about now, except that I just remembered that January has 31 days!:eek:;)

P.S. I apologize profusely for now being waaay behind in my comments.:redface:

A bit sad to announce but I'm without a camera at the moment so I'm unable to continue :( I hope to be back photographing by the end of next week.

Jorge, I'm so sorry to read this. I hope it didn't break and that all is well!

Jorge did your camera break? If you like you could borrow my GRD 3 and I could continue with my alternate; the XZ-1

I'm not sure if I am going to make it. Photographing at night after a long day at work is getting a bit tiresome and I am quickly running out of ideas. Only 12 more days to go, but that includes 8 weekdays.

Cheers,

Antonio

Photographing at night after a long day at work is getting a bit tiresome and I am quickly running out of ideas. Only 12 more days to go, but that includes 8 weekdays.
I can imagine it would be wearing to feel you have to make a special time. When I was doing a year PAD, I didn't restrict myself to making a special time for photography. Many of the images I used were captured while I was still at home, walking to the car, stopped at lights, anytime at work, and so on.

Like others I'm struggling a bit with my PAD shoots, especially the this last week. A combination of a heavy work load on a 12 hour shift and a limited time frame where I can take some shots, I literally have maximum of an hour a day where I can go out and find something to shoot and this will be most likely in the evening (it's a blessing in disguise that I don't do any pp at all as this would probably take time as well) which puts a bit of limitation of what I can shoot (as there will only be so many times I can employ the services of Bert the Bunny).

There's also the issue of motivation and inspiration. There are days where I can easily take a hundred or so shots (though I can only submit 1 for that day :doh:) and there are days where it's a struggle to even take one.

For better or worse I plan to continue on complete my PAD challenge, I haven't been commenting as much lately (sorry a tad bit busy at the moment, but I will! (y)), I know to some its not a big deal but I do want to give credit where it's due, specially if it's an image I really do feel strongly about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back