Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In pursuit of my photo of the day I slipped rather dramatically and the camera and I both fell in the mud. I raised the camera to protect it with the result that i landed with my weight on my wrist. Halfway up a hill, miles from home, wet, gritty and muddy, sore, with mud all over my precious camera.

I'm in the huff.

I managed some images I'm very happy with today and it's proving a hard pick.
A couple of things about the way the vBulletin/PhotoPost Gallery works compromises my choices though: first, the fact that portrait orientated images don't display well without fiddling with the % zoom in the browser; and the white background to the Gallery - it blitzes my rods and cones and I lose tonal subtleties. The latter's OK when the owner has also got a Flickr account and posts the image there too, so I can view on black, but of course not everybody does.

In pursuit of my photo of the day I slipped rather dramatically and the camera and I both fell in the mud. I raised the camera to protect it with the result that i landed with my weight on my wrist. Halfway up a hill, miles from home, wet, gritty and muddy, sore, with mud all over my precious camera.

I'm in the huff.
...yes but did you get a photo capturing the feeling of that moment of the fall Heather ;)

Seriously though not good news are you both OK?

Heather: No pain, no gain, eh? Hope you feel better soon...

As for me: for years, I've done the occasional B&W, but I never was quite comfortable with it. But in photography, I am attracted to B&W images a lot. So the the extra rule I added for myself for this challenge, is next to one camera/one lens (and I have taken all other gear out of my bag to make sure that I learn this combination inside out), also: create images in B&W. Today was the first day that I several times really saw the resulting image in B&W before I took the shot. Limitations do help...

I am off today, just getting done with chores and heading out to take some more night shots.
All out of SPF 1000 I fear

For the seventh day of the SIJ challenge, I went for a photo stroll with my son Antonio around Old San Juan. These are my favorite of the outtakes:

6656761349_a58bf34a17_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Benny Moré by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

6656760623_512811c7f4_o.jpg

GRFFTT by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

And one of my partner in crime:

6656760963_7198607bc6_o.jpg

Antonio by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Cheers,

Antonio

Benny More is amazing. Antonio, perhaps I maybe in PR this coming June and beyond for at least 2 yrs. If so, perhaps we can meet and go shooting around Old SJ.

Dear Moderators,
I have extended my run of rotten luck/ stupidity and managed to post day 7 and 8 into my member gallery by accident. I couldn't see how to delete it. Is there a way to move them?

Time for bed. Don't wake me in the morning.

Dear Moderators,
I have extended my run of rotten luck/ stupidity and managed to post day 7 and 8 into my member gallery by accident. I couldn't see how to delete it. Is there a way to move them?

I did that once too....no worries. Go to the photo page. at top right, click on Photo Options, click on edit photo, click on change category, submit changes. Done. It'll all be better this week!

Dear Moderators,

Heather,

No worries, all you need do is go to your photo, in the top right hand corner selected - "Edit Photo" under Photo Options, and change the selection in the Category drop down box.

I'll do it for you now, but for future reference this is an easy one.

Cheers,

Mark

Reactions: BBW
I wonder whether this is happening to any of you. One of the (unexpected) consequences of the SIJ for me has been that I am actually feeling very satisfied with my G3 these days. I feel like I am bonding with it as never before. Additionally, although I had never been a fan of the 50mm equivalent field of view, I am really enjoying shooting with my new 25mm. There is just something to that lens that I cannot quite put my finger on, but it is quite special.

SIJ may be the cure for GAS, after all.

Cheers,

Antonio

I hear you Antonio - I'm getting to grips with more of the features of the X100 and my aim is to master them rather than make exceptional images every day. Come to think of it can't remember if or when I made an exceptional image. Also testing my PP options with all the plugins I own.

I wonder whether this is happening to any of you. One of the (unexpected) consequences of the SIJ for me has been that I am actually feeling very satisfied with my G3 these days...

Antonio,

Yes... I agree. I am just learning my E-PL3 but am fast becoming a fan. During the first couple of days all I could see were limitations. I seem to beyond that now, and have come to realize that not only can I work through them, but that there are no more than I have encountered with other equipment.

Additionally, while I could pick the performance of the m.Z 9-18mm apart, I am finding that it is more than adequate to the job. The rest is on me to figure out. To a very great extent the "wanting" has taken a back seat to getting the photos in, thinking through the process, and processing them afterward. Having too much fun shooting and processing to want or need much other than some more time...

woof!

I wonder whether this is happening to any of you. One of the (unexpected) consequences of the SIJ for me has been that I am actually feeling very satisfied with my G3 these days. I feel like I am bonding with it as never before. Additionally, although I had never been a fan of the 50mm equivalent field of view, I am really enjoying shooting with my new 25mm. There is just something to that lens that I cannot quite put my finger on, but it is quite special.

Cheers,

Antonio

Antonio,

I, too, am finding satisfaction using the little S95, and the 35mm equivalent focal length that I subscribed to. I felt that it would be very limiting to use just one focal length, but am surprised how I've adapted. I'm also coming to the realization that the majority of cameras available today provide the photographic quality that can be satisfactory to even the most discriminating enthusiast/amateur, and my desire to continually upgrade is nothing more than a want rather than a need. My 12x16 prints from most of the cameras I've owned over the last six, or seven, years produce an equal number of "winners" regardless if they be small sensor compacts, APS-C sensored dSLR's, or any in-between.

I'm very impressed with the quality of images being posted by everyone. There are a lot of very talented photographers participating in this challenge. I'm also surprised at the number of B&W photos posted. Although I didn't declare it, I decided to post only B&W for the entire SIJ challenge. My very first digital camera back in 1993 rendered only B&W images, and I have been working to perfect the medium ever since. I still shoot in color, but there is something about B&W that keeps my interest. I love texture, line and tonality that B&W produces.

Again, I just want to say good shooting to everyone, and keep at it regardless as to whether you feel up to it, or not. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer just before this challenge began, and I'm not letting it hold me back even though my time has been busy with various testing, and doctor appointments to discuss treatments, etc. We can always find an excuse not to do something, but once we take that first step, it does become easier to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back