Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
So we've all entertained the resolution.."That's it :mad: Next year it's going to be less talk about photography, and all its gear, and more about using it and doing it!!" Well my friends, next year is here and we're making good on our resolve (y).

Info on how the Single in January (SiJ) operates can be found here.
The Honour Roll of other steely folks can be found here.

Now this area is to talk through the challenge and how you are faring. As I said earlier more of us will fall or falter if we don't have support from each other. First and foremost it's about commenting on each others images - and extending that to C&C if it's welcome...I'd suggest putting it under you image if you are keen for C&C. But secondly, it's about sharing your experiences. This will prove tough and please be aware it is tough for us all, so share what you're finding hard and we will work through how to overcome it. Some folks will scoff and say "C'mon get over it it's one photo a day". But yes one photo everyday and with the one piece of kit....no flitting through kit, but focusing your eye and attention in that field of view. Subjects will get thinner as the days get longer...but we will work through it...promise!!!

So my first hint for the challenge.
"Shoot safeties!"
First thing in the morning take the camera and lens out with you and shoot. Make some frames as early as you can. If you defer until after lunch, or when the kids are in bed or the cows fed, then you'll find that come 11pm and you can breath again after another chaotic day, you'll be tearing your hair out (for those unlike me who have much remaining :blush:) scanning the lounge room frantically for compositions. You'll get desperate enough that you'd think a still of what's on TV will do. But if you shoot the safety then there is always something waiting for you come post-processing time. OK it might not be your best shot, but you have it...it might get thrown away after all the other pearlers you shot today, or it might just have that something that only come with fresh eyes. Also getting that camera to your eye early reminds you of, and locks in, your field of view for the day. Also it means you start shooting and sometimes the hardest barrier is taking that first shot...after that you just want to shoot more!!! So shoot that safety...maybe before you even log excitedly into Serious Compacts first thing to see what's going on.

So go forth and prosper my friends, 2012 and the many fractions of a second that make our life's passion await us.

Get out there and shoot!

Wow there, don't rush it, it's still 2011 here. I've got my eye on some shots already, having taken a walk this afternoon, "sans camera". I'd better be quick mind you, there's heavy rain forecast for later in the day (01/01/2012), and it won't really be photographic weather in the morning. Still that will be one of the challenges, and inside shots will have to be saved up for the really rough days. It's alright for you guys in the antipodes, we have to contend with the bleak mid winter and short days as well :)

Barrie

Ah yes, Barrie, but whilst you lot were enjoying your northern summer last July, we were the ones doing as you are now. Mind you, I must confess it was hardly bleak here... but the days were shorter, indeed. I'm heading out soon, hoping to catch the aftermath of last nights celebrations before cleanup

Wow there, don't rush it, it's still 2011 here. I've got my eye on some shots already, having taken a walk this afternoon, "sans camera". I'd better be quick mind you, there's heavy rain forecast for later in the day (01/01/2012), and it won't really be photographic weather in the morning. Still that will be one of the challenges, and inside shots will have to be saved up for the really rough days. It's alright for you guys in the antipodes, we have to contend with the bleak mid winter and short days as well :)

Barrie

Oh Barrie, but there is nothing sweeter than those high contract images of fog, sleet or snow. Makes for images of such strength and simplicity. (y)

For us Southerners we have to contend with getting up earlier than you folks and working harsh bright light....and if you're not up early enough then you have to share your view and space with all manner of flying and buzzing insects....not good unless you've armed yourself with a macro for the month ;)

Ready to go! Couple of questions ... and hopefully I'm not being repetitive. (1) If I miss a day, can I post an extra one the following day? (2) If I did take a photo on X day, but did not upload it to the gallery on X day, can I do it on Y day? I vaguely recall reading something about this before, but I can't find that post. Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

I'll be super busy in January with work (thanks to plaintiffs' lawyers :)), but I'll try my best to get my 31 photos in! :D

Ready to go! Couple of questions ... and hopefully I'm not being repetitive. (1) If I miss a day, can I post an extra one the following day? (2) If I did take a photo on X day, but did not upload it to the gallery on X day, can I do it on Y day? I vaguely recall reading something about this before, but I can't find that post. Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

I'll be super busy in January with work (thanks to plaintiffs' lawyers :)), but I'll try my best to get my 31 photos in! :D

Armando, mate, this challenge is all about 'self-discovery', albeit expressed as a collective experience So please take the photo when you can. I state photo-a-day as that is the discipline I need to ensure that I get into the groove each day. I just went and shot some safeties and as I suspected once that shutter button starts firing and your eye gets in then it's amazing how many frames are out there. So I'd encourage you to play safety first. Maybe before, or even better "while", your making coffee no.1 or choosing your socks, or getting right the day's hair-do ;)

If you just can't get a frame in, then shoot when you can and make clear the missed day....and maybe tell us a little about why you couldn't make it. No it's not about the shame, but about sharing the experience. I'm hoping come February 1 we will not only have an amazing portfolio of photos from thoroughly reviewed cameras and lenses, but also a vast catalogue of photographic lessons...and I mean beyond exposing to the right or nailing bokeh, but more about the intimate workings of the photographer. What makes them tick when they are (or are struggling to make) an image.
...wow, long-winded but I hope that answers Q1.
Q2. Mate upload whenever you can. It doesn't matter if you post images in a bulk lot every 2,5,10 or 15 days - I mean our folks shooting film will be uploading very rarely I'd expect (some might even go the harsher Jim Brandenburg route and only upload their spend single roll of 36 at the month's end :th_salute:). But even if you've got a few images still waiting for the PP process, I'd encourage you to talk through the experiences while they're fresh. The RAW files won't go stale but the memory does....well certainly is for me :blush:

Hope that covers most of what you asked mate. It's great to have you on-board.....and no GAS until month's end my friend ;)

ok, first photo uploaded. It's gonna be a real challenge to keep it going all the way till the 31st, especially because I'll be writing a thesis this month as well... I predict lots of 12hour+ days in the university library...

I may take my camera to bed to see what safeties can be shot from various angles around the pillow. I'd wish you all a happy new year, but I have another hour and a half to go, but I'm getting awfully sleepy. I'm already 45 minutes past bedtime. Sucks to get old.

ok, first photo uploaded. It's gonna be a real challenge to keep it going all the way till the 31st, especially because I'll be writing a thesis this month as well... I predict lots of 12hour+ days in the university library...
....and I predict many super sharp photos of spent NoDoz packets and foils ;)

I may take my camera to bed to see what safeties can be shot from various angles around the pillow. I'd wish you all a happy new year, but I have another hour and a half to go, but I'm getting awfully sleepy. I'm already 45 minutes past bedtime. Sucks to get old.

Hey, don't worry about it. I haven't made it to midnight for 10 years! One day, maybe. I'll have to have a longer nanny-nap in the afternoon if I am to do so.

I hear ya brother. At least you're trying. 10:45 last night unabashedly turned off my bedside lamp to relieve drowsy eyes from reading David Hurn's "On being a Photographer". :blush:

Love your apprentice geriatric,
aka Stills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back