Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post the toes Bill, but in sympathy I have to say, "ouch"!

I have to warn you that my feet are not attractive, (particularly in artificial light)

so for all the squeamish amongst you

PLEASE LOOK AWAY NOW

toe_3.jpg

Nothing as dramatic as Bill's toes to report but SIJ has definitely been a learning experience for me and what I have learned is that I prefer to shoot when the mood takes me rather than feeling I have to go out and shoot every day. So on the basis of my new found self-understanding I'm withdrawing.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with in the days ahead.

As I said "my own STUPID fault" - (I could "kick myself" - but I'm right footed and it would hurt!)

We have been working on our house in France now for about 18 months, (I'm retired), and have finished the house and started to work on a few outbuildings that we have. I have started to make two smallish Gites, (apartments if you like), the tiles are for the floor in one of the bathrooms ......... so I'm out of action for a few days ......... but the guy who does most of the (hard) work can continue

Get down to the doctor or a&e Bill ... you'll be even less mobile if they have to chop 'em off if something has got seriously damaged and you didn;t get them treated properly in the first place

Reactions: BBW
For me I've had the opposite reaction to Olli. There have been several days when normally I wouldn't have gone out, but I've had to at some time during the day, and I think I can honestly say it's been enjoyable, even when I was waiting in the pouring rain for that bus on day 03. I've yet to see the driver Julie since, she recognised me and gave me a friendly wave, I wonder what she thought of my being there in those conditions? Still she knows I'm a bird watcher so I expect she makes allowances :)

Barrie

Honestly while I am enjoying this concept it is not something I think I want to do all the time. I shoot most days of the week as it is, something I am used to, the the only part I am having issues with is the need to shoot safeties. Normally if I did not shoot on Tuesday, no big deal now I have to shoot some subjects 4 or 5 times just to make sure I have something to post, that part does feel a little tedious. Other wise all is good in week 2

I've counted my remaining planned shots. I am going to run out of low hanging fruit a week before the challenge ends. Ooops. My afternoon walks are now going to need to include a bit more scouting.

woof!

As I said "my own STUPID fault" - (I could "kick myself" - but I'm right footed and it would hurt!)

We have been working on our house in France now for about 18 months, (I'm retired), and have finished the house and started to work on a few outbuildings that we have. I have started to make two smallish Gites, (apartments if you like), the tiles are for the floor in one of the bathrooms ......... so I'm out of action for a few days ......... but the guy who does most of the (hard) work can continue

Helluva a way to get out of work Bill! ;) Seriously, mate, that looks mighty uncomfortable. Hoping it's nothing more than bruising and you hop away from the Doc's with nothing more than a strapped foot and a prescription for industrial strength codeine.

We're a third of the way there folks

Let's rest a while folks, if you want a tea or cup of joe now's the time. Otherwise smoke 'em if you got 'em.

As you're aware this is not the first "Single in..." challenge. But I have to say that this is the one with which I am the most impressed. Firstly we assembled quite the troupe - from retirees to bludgers (that's me :blush:) and busy jet-setters - who are totting all manner of gear. Secondly, I'm seeing some great images posted on the Gallery - as the days progress I'm noticing folks relaxing a little into their images and the challenge. Thirdly, the general spirit is growing and we're tightening up a little more as a mob.

Some might point out that fractures are beginning to show, but from experience this comes with the territory, there naturally will be groaning when you've been 10 days on-foot. I am so surprised we kept as many as we did, history would have told me we'd be counting many more among the fallen (about 20%). But so far, just the two official casualties accounted for.

Day 10 is a milestone folks. Physically we're a third of the way down the path - and that is tough for some; as they realise there's still so far to go. But remember only a few more days to the halfway point and, psychologically, that'll put some spring back in the step. But as a few have realised, if you relax into it and get a rhythm going then it's quite rewarding. I'm not going to kid anyone, there is one harsh truth...and that is that there is nothing at the end of Day 31 except, well the end! It's all simply about the journey itself. Sound trite - you bet - but it's the truth of the matter! No Leica M9, Fuji X Pro 1 or G1X or GX1 waiting as reward at the end. OK it might be nice, but I think it would distract from the point. It's really about giving yourself over to the experience of each moment this month - without the distraction of gear. All the petty thinking been done for you and the distractions are behind you. You have the kit you need in hand, now it's just all about you and your eye....oh yeah and keeping the other out for your fellow SIJers.

OK folks, wash out your glasses and stub the smokes. Let's up our packs and onwards...

rather like Wouter I'm seriously considering carrying on, probably with a different lens, but that's to broaden my understanding of what each lens can do. I'm certainly warming to the idea that less is more, there's a wonderful freedom to be had from just using the one lens. Rather like my start in photography with an old folding roll film Voigtlander Bessa 1 with it's 105mm lens (about 45mm in 35mm terms) since it was an 8 on 120 camera. Ok so there are photographs you might miss, get over it and make good with your minimalist equipment, you know you can for general photography.

Barrie

Reactions: BBW
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back