Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Encouraging said:
I'm not going to kid anyone, there is one harsh truth...and that is that there is nothing at the end of Day 31 except, well the end!

well I'm definitely not going to agree with that ... I wrote this at the end of my 366-consecutive-image-a-day stint back in August ...

pdh said:
I've learned to really look at what's around me, and I've learned to see what images are there ... there are images all around, and what's more I've learned to see them even when I don't have a camera with me (rare) or when I don't have it easily to hand (less rare) or when I have it but with the "wrong" lens (occasionally) ... what's been great is to realise that even if I can't capture the image, I have seen the image and enjoyed it (not every image has to be captured)

... OK so it was after over a year, but I think I learned a lot and enriched my skills and experience immeasurably even over the space of the first month ...

This thread seems to be getting as long as the images posted in the SIJ gallery - not sure which will get to the end first - taking the shots is easy - posting (intelligent) and useful comments is the difficult part for me - (as you all have probably noticed)

Reactions: BBW
To be honest I'm not finding it much of a hardship to be restricted to the x-10. The hardest part is remembering to take it with me when I leave for work in the morning.:doh:

This thread seems to be getting as long as the images posted in the SIJ gallery - not sure which will get to the end first - taking the shots is easy - posting (intelligent) and useful comments is the difficult part for me - (as you all have probably noticed)
It's a tough one Bill, and is a topic the other Mods and I mulled over for some time before kicking off SiJ. How best to communicate during the challenge? I agree this thread is getting long....and it will get longer as things get tougher I suspect. Now we don't have to stick with this single uber-thread, as we have the Image Quest folder to play in, but then if we splinter too wide we might all just end up rather disparate. Any other ideas? :polling: Do we stick with this huge single mess hall situation or would folks prefer more intimate smokey cafe seating?...or is there another alternative? I must say though, that I find this thread as entertaining as the images and the comments.

Or maybe we need a more simplified and monastic version of the "Single In..." challenge - let's call it "Single in Silence". We all post an image a day - where we rely on the fact that images say more than words. Hence all communication is conveyed through, and within, images only. No forum chat, no comments....only back and forth between members through imagery. Hmmm...compelling, but I fear a membership of about one by the end of Day 10....and the monologue would start to look a little weird after Day 20 :confused:

well I'm definitely not going to agree with that ... I wrote this at the end of my 366-consecutive-image-a-day stint back in August ...

... OK so it was after over a year, but I think I learned a lot and enriched my skills and experience immeasurably even over the space of the first month ...

Paul, just noticed the sneaky amendment of my name in your quotation of me above. Mr Encouraging indeed! :rofl:

Reactions: pdh
It's a tough one Bill, and is a topic the other Mods and I mulled over for some time before kicking off SiJ. How best to communicate during the challenge? I agree this thread is getting long....and it will get longer as things get tougher I suspect. Now we don't have to stick with this single uber-thread, as we have the Image Quest folder to play in, but then if we splinter too wide we might all just end up rather disparate. Any other ideas? :polling: Do we stick with this huge single mess hall situation or would folks prefer more intimate smokey cafe seating?...or is there another alternative? I must say though, that I find this thread as entertaining as the images and the comments.

Or maybe we need a more simplified and monastic version of the "Single In..." challenge - let's call it "Single in Silence". We all post an image a day - where we rely on the fact that images say more than words. Hence all communication is conveyed through, and within, images only. No forum chat, no comments....only back and forth between members through imagery. Hmmm...compelling, but I fear a membership of about one by the end of Day 10....and the monologue would start to look a little weird after Day 20 :confused:

I think that maybe, just maybe there is room to consider a single a day type thread with no comments from anyone - i.e. a bit like a no words type thread

I do like and appreciate what these SIJ projects give and I always felt that what Don, (Streetshooter), did and achieved to be very worthwhile and progressive - and I know that we all do and can spend a lot of time on the Forum - diving around etc., etc., and as you indicate it is maybe new "ideas" that we need to make each project, (and Forum life), exciting, useful and progressive .......... but I just think that because the Forum is so good and interactive we are becoming spoilt and it will be more difficult to keep thinking of new ideas as time goes by.

I thank the Mods and appreciate what many other members are doing for the good of the Forum ...........

I'm not sure that I would be disciplined enough to stick out a whole month of "single in silence". It is everyone's comments that keep me going when my mojo looks like deserting.

Man, I had fallen a bit behind in commenting and have been going at it for quite some time.....finally down to 2 more pages. I'll probably take a break and be behind by another 5 or 6 again. I think when I take a trip later this month, I'll have to throw in the towel on commenting and just skip everything that is posted on those days or I'll go crazy.

The keeping up can be hard..especially when some folks, who shall be nameless, upload a bunch because they've been fortunate enough to be on vacations.:D

Last night I couldn't come on much at all... I looked and was overwhelmed and exhausted..but I persevered at different times and amazingly caught up. However, no one should feel compelled. We all have to do the best we can without turning the experience into a "have to". At least that's what I think. I'm sure our fearless leader AKA The Encourager will weigh in.

Perhaps breaking the "How's It Going" thread into thirds may make it easier to follow. Close this one after today, day 10, and start another for days 11-20, and then another for days 21-31. Right now we're at 33 pages, and it might be taxing on some folks' browsers, or ISP's, to deal with this much. That way we can continue the comments in these threads without this going to 100 pages, or more. "Bite-sized" pieces some might say.

Just an idea,

great idea Otto....I second the motion.
Excellent idea! (y) Motion thirded and will be passed unless I hear any objections from the floor. Objections in writing via this committee (yep that's all of us) previous to the thread's closure 00:01 (EST) - New York, NY, USA - Wednesday 11 January 2012 (that's in little over six hours folks).

Sounds like a plan.

I am very pleased with myself, I made a proper effort tonight and have the sort of photo that I see other folk post. I don't usually set things up but I managed to rope in a willing model and an unusual location and go for it! I need to get her permission before I can post it/them. I'm sure if I plug her new album it will be fine!

It wasn't all stunt shows and cupcakes you know. :redface: My wife, daughter and I ran the Disney half marathon while we were there. Geez, I wish I had been able to carry the x-10 on that one. A shot of a cross-dressing Tinkerbell relieving himself by the side of the road could have been Day 7.

still haven't started taking safeties - but since that usually leads to a desperate search for something interesting late at night, it's a great exercise to see the exciting aspects about the mundane things in life. If I started looking for something as soon as I got up (which isnt all that early, I must say), maybe I'd end up taking easier, more obvious shots... but I'll comment on that once I've actually tried it:D

Lili, don't worry about it! I'm sure one day geeks will rule the world:jedi: :tongue:
wow I would've loved to see that Tinkerbell shot! :D

How about something like "Single in January - So how's it going? Day 11-20" and "Single in January - So how's it going? Day 21-31"?

Otto, your common sense is showing. Those thread titles are a revelation in simplicity and clarity. Your use of italics and bold is perfect for the subject. I also appreciate your choice of words....of wow...wait.......

I think I've been leaving comments too long, I'm starting to leave comments on thread posts. I need to go to bed. Good night all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back