Single in January - So how's it going? Days 21-31

I'm with Steve, I have some shots that I am not happy with but still better than nothing at all, between work, school, chores and personal issues (I'm buying my first home) time to take shots (that I'm happy with) is rather limited and have fallen well behind in commenting. However with that said I can also say that so far it's been a wonderful experience and I can honestly say that I have been (and still am) learning a lot and have been so impressed with the quality of the images people have posted.

I've found out that a daily project is not for me. I dislike taking pictures because I have to, even when the obligation sometimes made me take nice pictures I'd otherwise not take. And I relearned to appreciate the normal focal length. The last week and a half work kept me so busy that I virtually stopped commenting. I didn't stop looking though, and I can tell this challenge made people very creative!

I have to admit that as of this morning...I am pretty overwhelmed by all the new photographs. I am definitely going to look carefully at everyone's but at this moment, I can't see how I'm going to comment effectively on every single one...in a timely manner. I'm feeling very badly to have to say this.

The sun is out...and it's day 29 out of 31, here in New York. May the gods of observation be good to us all!

I have to admit that I participated, because I was already working on a PAD project. For me, the essence of this project is the sharing of photographs and certainly not the commenting. If I would be constantly bothered with commenting on as many photographs as possible I would have long stopped this thing. Just looking at all the photographs is enough for me and I amazed how creative people can be, even if they will feel the opposite.

I hope you don't find this silly, but I wanted to share that my SIJ photo for day 14 is now a published photograph. The Puerto Rico Museum of Contemporary Art used it in the catalog for the Mr. Mestey-Villamil's exhibition "Contramuro, Obra 1975-2010" which opened at the Museum last Friday. They did, however, crop it to landscape format to fit with the layout of the catalog.

Catalogo_Mestey_Villamil.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SIJ has been an interesting and fun experience for me, but not something I could keep up for very long. I am actually counting the days for it to end, so that I can go back to using my other cameras (haven't shot film in about a month now) and lenses. I am amazed, though, at the quality of work that has been posted by the participants and, in some cases, an amazing ability to post excellent work day after day. I am also extremely appreciative of the kind comments I have received throughout the month.

Cheers,

Antonio

On the contrary not at all silly and just the right place to post it :bravo-009: Antonio!!! Well deserved my friend. It is an excellent portrait.

I share your sentiments also Antonio. Two days to go :dance: and then I will be more game to play with the PL25's older sister the PL45 (y) Also I have a few rolls of T-Max which should arrive by this week's end and a QL17 ready to go. I'd suggest Film February ;) but will be glad of the vacation from pressure for a few months.

cold and a bit dreary today.

and the weather isn't much better.
failed to close out a cheap Leica CL on fleabay.
probably a good thing as money shouldn't be going out on luxuries when none is coming in.
though it would be lovely to use the summicron as intended.
for SiJ purposes, if push comes to shove i can post a snap of some scented narcissus, but i really want to go out and take some night shots.
which is what I'll do in a bit.

oh and congratulations too Antonio, I was ridiculously pleased when a snap of mine was picked for a public show. Pride in good work is OK (so long as it doesn;t become hubris)

This project has been a fascinating exercise, I feel as if I have accomplished the goals I set out to do and enjoyed myself along the way.
I wanted to show off how versatile a little camera like the X10 can be, I think it has more than proved it self to be very capable and actually brilliant at times.
I was hopping to show that photography does not have to always be some major undertaking of specific shoot days, specific events or projects.
For this month I have not gone out of my normal daily routines to find the images all around me everyday. So far I have 5 images related to eating, 10 around my home, 7 at the office, and just 6 out and about.
I was also hoping to get the opportunity to see more work from the forum and appreciate all of the different personal visual perspectives that the members bring to their photography.
I know that there different opinions on the subject of commenting but I thought that by my trying to leave as many comments as I could, that I was in some way encouraging people not just in this project but in their photography in general.
As we approach the end, I am very happy to have accomplished these goals, but I must confess this project has also confirmed for me that I do not find the need to do any more pad projects. I more likely than not shoot something everyday project or no project, so the confinement of one camera, one lens, one image a day, feels a bit forced. Most of the reasons I own multiple toys is because I like using them, I love shooting with different lenses and cameras, even my cell phone.
Also normally I am either shooting for someone on their project or myself, with my own work, I shoot when I feel it not because I have to.
If you see yourself as a photographer motivation is rarely an issue.

oh and congratulations too Antonio, I was ridiculously pleased when a snap of mine was picked for a public show. Pride in good work is OK (so long as it doesn;t become hubris)
A great general rule Paul, but a repercussion I certainly don't think Antonio will suffer - as he is one of the most humble photographers I have had the pleasure of meeting on this forum, and whose images I've gotten to know - and consistently appreciated - so well over the years. I'd actually say Antonio could stand for a little more recognition! (y)

i was thinking more about myself as the one in danger, Mark.
it certainly wasn't directed at Antonio, for whom I hav the highest respect.

i was thinking more about myself as the one in danger, Mark.
it certainly wasn't directed at Antonio, for whom I hav the highest respect.
Nice to hear mate. The funny thing about SiJ has been that some folks are even better at this photography gig than they think, with many calling their own work very short. Wholeheartedly agree with Bob's sentiment here:
If you see yourself as a photographer motivation is rarely an issue.
(which I thought Sue replied to?)
But then I've found that when pushed to deliver in a condensed time-frame some folks shots have been top shelf. Little time squandered in post-processing or procrastination, and some have produced off-the-cuff shots that they might not have gotten up for usually, which have really turned out. I'm reserving my opinion of SiJ for Day 32 when I kick-off the "SiJ: How did you go?" thread, but suffice it to say that I've enjoyed watching some folks respond positively to the 'kick in the proverbial" to just get out there...and shoot. Some, I hope, have come to recognise that they have more shots in them than what they produce on the weekend after the chores are done....and that sometimes there's a photo or two in the chore itself.

Well I missed Day27 and Day28 as I just didn't get anything taken those days. My heart wasn't in it, and I didn't want to post something just to post it. I felt like I was stretching it enough already with some of the entries I've made recently, and didn't want to do it. Today I specifically went out to get the shot I posted for this day, and I hope my entry shows it. At least I tried to get something better for today's entry.

Although I have had a great time with this challenge, I will be glad when it's over. I don't like the pressure of feeling like I need to get something posted just to get it posted, without putting my best into it. I'll admit that I have taken photos when I probably would have just done something else, and glad that I did. I guess I'm just tired and want to get back into a more relaxed tempo regarding photography, at least for now. I have to much work to do on the car that isn't getting done, and I will be starting my radiation therapy treatments on the 6th that will slow me down a bit, I'm sure.

I'm sorry I haven't posted comments to all of the great photos that this group has displayed. What a wealth of talent exists here. I'm glad to be a part of this extrememly talented community, and I know my own work will benefit from you all. I will try to finish out the challenge over the next two days, but I'm not going to punish myself if it doesn't happen.

Good shooting everyone, and keep up the great work,

Antonio, congratulations! That's really great. It really is an excellent portrait.

Two more shots and the morning opened with blue skies. This leaves me with a certain dearth of imagination today. I want to do exteriors and frankly the ones I had planned would be better with some cloud cover.

woof!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate reading everyone's comments - not just on my photos but on everyone's. I try not to read other's comments before I draw my own conclusions...but I have to admit that it doesn't always work that way. What I find so interesting is how we all see things through our own lens of experience and taste. One person's idea of what works and doesn't isn't going to match everyone else's... I realize that for most of us, we're reacting to the images that we see in an off the cuff manner. I think that this is a good thing - first impressions mean a great deal when it comes to the visual.

Two more days - am I right this time, Luke?:D

Two more days - am I right this time, Luke?:D

This time you are correct, but we're sooooo close now I think I am going to jump the gun. I am already planning my shot for today, so in a way...I only have one more day ;)

WooHoo!

I look forward to using other lenses and cameras and relaxing a bit. I may even take a couple days off from commenting. I'm worried I'll wear out my keyboard

Back