Single in January - So how's it going? Days 21-31

I still like the idea of doing a book. It wouldn't have to be big or elaborate. Maybe 3 or 4 shots from each person (if they are interested in being included). Just a nice reminder of the effort. And an inexpensive way to collect the works of some true visionaries :clap2:
Whatever gave you that idea mate?! A moment of inspiration, or are you on your second Bud ;). We've done this with past Single in challenges and the photobook turned out to be a great memento. The book (Blurb I think - help me here Sam!) with 4 images per person worked out to about USD30 for a soft cover or $55 for a hard-back. If there's enough interested parties then I'd be keen to help you pursue it Luke (y)

Just dug up our previous edition from the inaugural challenge...looked nice. But I was a bit off with the pricing - $43 soft or $55 hard cover. Pretty sad looking at the photos and seeing my photography aint improved none....well at least it's no worse :blush:

P.S. Hey Luke no laughing at the selfies mate! :doh:

I've wanted to do one for a long time, but I don't think my shots are worth it. But I'd love to see them alongside some of the great ones I've seen all month long. Not sure how they've been done in the past, but I thought perhaps each photog could have a voting thread where they suggest 6-7 of their personal faves and let popular vote narrow it down from there. Or is this too labor intensive to set up?

It's been a long 31 days already and don't want to create TOO much more work, but was figuring on taking it a little easier anyways. I'd be happy to volunteer my time helping with layout or proofreading. But I would suggest someone with experience using one for a FINAL proof regarding levels and such.

I've wanted to do one for a long time, but I don't think my shots are worth it. But I'd love to see them alongside some of the great ones I've seen all month long. Not sure how they've been done in the past, but I thought perhaps each photog could have a voting thread where they suggest 6-7 of their personal faves and let popular vote narrow it down from there. Or is this too labor intensive to set up?

It's been a long 31 days already and don't want to create TOO much more work, but was figuring on taking it a little easier anyways. I'd be happy to volunteer my time helping with layout or proofreading. But I would suggest someone with experience using one for a FINAL proof regarding levels and such.

Let's see how the idea floats and if there's enough interest then we'll stand up a little committee. That being the case, I tender a nomination for Luke as the secretary....well without the short skirt. Oh Lord, no I mean definitely some southerly covering but let's make it long...a kilt at very least!

I'm not above embarrassing myself for my art (I cringe to even call what I do with a camera art), but if I follow my roots back I'm sure I can find a skirt or kilt-wearer somewhere in the mix. If a secretary I must be....make it so.

Aye and a fine secretary you'll make my friend. You might have to hearken back to the archaic ways of pencil and paper though I'm afraid as I don't think they've made a sporran large enough to accommodate an iPad. Though Karen (Briar) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously folks, who else is interested in the photobook (aka aboard the carriage McLuke)? Ah I'll see if I can use my Mod powers to create a vote. If not on this thread, then as a new thread in the Image Quest Folder. Hmmm...now this could be entertaining....:blush:

the nuts and bolts are of it are thus (if I understand correctly). One needn't commit to buy a book to be involved in it. Buying the actual dead tree book version (and I understad Blurb now has "pad" version of their books available too (perhaps...and cheaper likely...if you're a Paddie-type) is purely optional. Really the vote should center around wether people are willing to have their works submitted to be part of a book to be available for purchase by other photographer's in the SIJ (or people at large.....to benefit said photographers and their favorite website).

I'm already excited to see some 5th wheel shots, some Yale buildings, some eerie black and whites, some cool nights shots, some great food photos, some super saturated shots, some high contrast art, some moody black and whites, some gorgeous landscapes, some "drive-by" shots.... and a whole lot more. It's funny to me that I don't "know" any of you, but you have ALL made lasting impression on me in 30 days. (or at least your visions have....and really that's all we know of each other).

the nuts and bolts are of it are thus (if I understand correctly). One needn't commit to buy a book to be involved in it. Buying the actual dead tree book version (and I understad Blurb now has "pad" version of their books available too (perhaps...and cheaper likely...if you're a Paddie-type) is purely optional. Really the vote should center around wether people are willing to have their works submitted to be part of a book to be available for purchase by other photographer's in the SIJ (or people at large.....to benefit said photographers and their favorite website).

I'm already excited to see some 5th wheel shots, some Yale buildings, some eerie black and whites, some cool nights shots, some great food photos, some super saturated shots, some high contrast art, some moody black and whites, some gorgeous landscapes, some "drive-by" shots.... and a whole lot more. It's funny to me that I don't "know" any of you, but you have ALL made lasting impression on me in 30 days. (or at least your visions have....and really that's all we know of each other).

I sort of geared the poll that way I think Luke. Let me know what you think....also Bob's added his thoughts on the poll thread.

No mention of bovines in any way shape or form in your list of credits :drama:

....My current technique of squashing my face and one eye up against the laptop is doing nothing for either me nor the all-too-greasy-and-smeared screen. :blush:

Man, you need to get out more :rofl:. Either that or get a nice big iMac.

Whatever gave you that idea mate?! A moment of inspiration, or are you on your second Bud ;). We've done this with past Single in challenges and the photobook turned out to be a great memento. The book (Blurb I think - help me here Sam!) with 4 images per person worked out to about USD30 for a soft cover or $55 for a hard-back. If there's enough interested parties then I'd be keen to help you pursue it Luke (y)

Yes it was blurb. From memory it was 4 shots each and the shooter chose which ones. For the cover shot everyone submitted the favourite of their own shots then all involved voted on these to get "the one" for the cover. The photographer who compiled the book got everyone who was contributing to set up dropbox on their computer and he set up a shared folder within it for you to place your correctly sized images in. Text was also included with everyone contributing a small spiel about themselves and a description for each of their images. I know the cost comes down with increased orders, so the more the merrier.

Personally, I would prefer to see some of the images from each photographer chosen by themselves and some chosen by their peers' vote. Half from each method would probably work well. I'm in by the way.

I'm not above embarrassing myself for my art (I cringe to even call what I do with a camera art), but if I follow my roots back I'm sure I can find a skirt or kilt-wearer somewhere in the mix. If a secretary I must be....make it so.

Not sure that I can stomach McLuke in a skirt though :eek:.

On ya Sam, your memory's better than mine mate :blush: I thought the book was cheaper when we bought it, but now I recall that we capitalised on a 30% or 50% off deal that Michael (our master compiler) brokered for us if you bought in the first month...or something to that effect.

OK so for the covers we all submitted our favourite single (?) image for a vote from contributors.....most total votes and runner up on the back-cover?

But what are we going to do for the photographer's photo? :confused: In Single in September a 'selfie' was a prerequisite of the challenge....which made it easy to have at the ready for the text pages. Maybe we'll have to go with our avatars?

Oh yeah and a big vote for some text for me in this fashion:
Text was also included with everyone contributing a small spiel about themselves and a description for each of their images.
That will ensure the memories stay fresh for me on every reading...

Apologies, it looks like I'm taking over again.....but I'm just a wee bit excited :blush:

Back