Single In Single in July 2020: discussion

agentlossing

Top Veteran
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'm kind of finding this setup a bit boring, to be honest. I can't play with DoF quite as much as when I was using the 30mm f1.4,
and it's inconvenient always bringing along the GX9 with grip, while it's just heavy enough that I don't feel like I have a good hold on it gripless. While I've had lots of success with the 20mm for street, it doesn't excite me as a snapshot lens. I'm feeling the GR III a lot more than the GX9 right now.

Real Name
Matt
So far I'm enjoying the combo. But....

AF speed and a bit of occasional hunting means this probably won't be my street/action combo unless I can get comfortable with zone focusing (I'm not counting on it).
I was wondering about that ... But I always wonder about the 20mm f/1.7 II; I still have the original, and from what I gather, the differences are minor, if at all noticeable. Would you agree to that?

So far, the GR is OK. I think its going to be sold, though, eventually. I definitely prefer having the option of an EVF or OVF, but the clipon one I bought to go with it just doesnt satisfy.
Did you get the GV-2 (super-small, but only 28mm framelines - if you can see them) or the GV-1? I have the GV-3 - and while it's small, it just doesn't cut it for framing in any sufficient way ... I sometimes use it for snapping ("street shooting"), but since I have to wear glasses, the experience isn't good at all, eye relief is atrocious, almost as bad as on my FED 3 ... (yes, I'm comparing with an old Russion rangefinder here).

I'm kind of finding this setup a bit boring, to be honest. I can't play with DoF quite as much as when I was using the 30mm f1.4,
and it's inconvenient always bringing along the GX9 with grip, while it's just heavy enough that I don't feel like I have a good hold on it gripless. While I've had lots of success with the 20mm for street, it doesn't excite me as a snapshot lens. I'm feeling the GR III a lot more than the GX9 right now.
Sounds familiar. The lens that really "opened up" the GX9 for me was - after some dithering and mumbling - the 15mm f/1.7; it doesn't solve the DoF "issue" (the 25mm f/1.4 II would ...), but it works very well and produces unique results that are even better than the ones from the 20mm. It's a bit bigger (but not big!) and more expensive - but AF and optics are really top-notch.

M.

Last edited:

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Did you get the GV-2 (super-small, but only 28mm framelines - if you can see them) or the GV-1? I have the GV-3 - and while it's small, it just doesn't cut it for framing in any sufficient way ... I sometimes use it for snapping ("street shooting"), but since I have to wear glasses, the experience isn't good at all, eye relief is atrocious, almost as bad as on my FED 3 ... (yes, I'm comparing with an old Russion rangefinder here).

Actualy no, I got one by Fujifilm which was designed to go with the X70. Its quite big and has 28 and 21mm brightlines. Its actually very good though the fit is a bit tight. Perhaps I would use it more if that were not the case.

This is the one (though I think I may have got it on ebay... can’t remember)

Last edited:
Real Name
David
Maybe a 1/2 case? I've found them to be great additions.

Real Name
Matt
@agentlossing Andrew, just out of curiosity: Do you protect the GR III in any special way when carrying it? I ask because after April's catastrophe (major piece of debris or dust somewhere in the imaging path, you may remember), I now use a small belt pack to carry it, but frankly, that's somewhat counter-intuitive for the most pocketable APC-C camera on the market, ever ...

M.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
@agentlossing Andrew, just out of curiosity: Do you protect the GR III in any special way when carrying it? I ask because after April's catastrophe (major piece of debris or dust somewhere in the imaging path, you may remember), I now use a small belt pack to carry it, but frankly, that's somewhat counter-intuitive for the most pocketable APC-C camera on the market, ever ...

M.
Yes - I use the JJC metal lens cap you can find all over. It engulfs the whole lens assembly and presses over the outer removable ring. Whenever I have the camera in a pocket or toss it in the car or a bag, I have the lens cap on. It adds a bit of bulk, as it's a little deeper than it needs to be, but it beats even the smallest dedicated bag (and bags eventually develop dust inside) and stays pretty clean with the closed-cell foam lining inside. As a side benefit, with the tempered glass screen protector I put on the LCD, this camera feels pretty bombproof (and I've dropped it a couple of times...) and really lives up to the promise of the magnesium alloy body. I highly recommend the lens cap.

The lens is the only area I really worry about dust ingress. While the GR II had stories of ingress from the buttons on the LCD side, I haven't yet heard anything like this with the GR III, and I reason that any dust would be on the sensor side rather than the lens side, easier to handle with the dust reduction system.

Real Name
David
Day 9 image, too bad m4/3 has terrible dynamic range.

As shot:
PENS0515-3.jpg

After edit:
PENS0515.jpg

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
OK, so I'm again playing around. Same 12 MP sensor, same 17 2.8, but now switching to my equally old E-PL1.
epl1.jpg

Similar to the E-P1 and E-P2 but with NO control dials. Not a one, not even around the D pad. One imaging difference is that the E-PL1 famously had no AA filter. I should have thought of cycling through all my old 12 MP Pens at the beginning of the month, but better late than never. In case anyone is curious, the E-PM1 is next. Unless, of course, Miguel wants to lend me his new E-P3. :biggrin:

Last edited:

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
OK, so I'm again playing around. Same 12 MP sensor, same 17 2.8, but now switching to my equally old E-PL1.
View attachment 228545
Similar to the EP-1 and E-P2 but with NO control dials. Not a one, not even around the D pad. One imaging difference is that the E-PL1 famously had no AA filter. I should have thought of cycling through all my old 12 MP Pens at the beginning of the month, but better late than never. In case anyone is curious, the E-PM1 is next. Unless, of course, Miguel wants to lend me his new E-P3. :biggrin:

I owned and used the 2nd generation version of the E-PL1 - the E-PL2 - for several years and have to say, it was a brilliant small camera - and gave me a huge percentage of keepers and great images. I know there are generations of more serious and professionally inclined photographers for whom the E-M1 and its subsequent iterations were daily workhorses - but for my own admittedly eclectic uses and tastes, I have always preferred the smaller 'rangefinder-style' Olympus mu43 bodies (with the possible exceptions of the E-M5 and E-M10). But the PL2 was truly fun to shoot with.

Speaking of older Olympiiii with minimal controls, Matt recently was singing the praises of the 1st generation E-PM1 (aka the Pen Mini if my memory serves me well); the one I lusted after was its newer sibling, the E-PM2 which had a brilliantly upgraded sensor but was tinier than a bug's ear.

But for the time being, Steve, I'm afraid I ain't gonna be able to loan you my E-P3....I'm having too much fun trying to hold it steady for impossible low-light shots ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom