Single In Single in July 2020: discussion

Name
Matt
I know it's somewhat controversial to introduce one of these challenges so soon after the last rund, but after April's more lenient approach, some were calling for the "real thing", and since we all need at least something to look forward to, there's no reason why we shouldn't indulge ourselves while we can.

Besides, some of us have carried on through the last couple of weeks and may need a new angle on things. And of course, there's an interesting crowd with (mostly) minimal setups participating - this will be fun!

As for myself, I'll do what I intended to do in April: shoot a camera I'm struggling with (and that let me down in April - if it fails me again, it's gone for good this time; if only it weren't such a devilishly nice imaging machine ...).

M.

Steve, you can do it. I think the GF5 and 20mm are perfect.

And Sue, I'm expecting you to find your mojo with that neglected GR II.

I'll join in for old time's sake. I recently found a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 I never knew I had, so I bought a used Oly E-M1 to see if there was any spark left in me or the old gear.

Sign me up, and Pencil in Steve for one more round.

And I would welcome any late joiners, if they have the spirit of limitation and commitment.

I'm going to use the Pen F 38mm f1.8 for both SiJ and the continued dailies, swapping back and forth between the Pen F and X-E2 all month. I may want to chuck the thing over the hill into the creek by the time I'm done, but Day 1 is in the bag. Only 30 more to go.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify; all of the dailies will be done with the X-E2, and all of the SiJ with the Pen F. I'll just be swapping the lens between each camera.

Last edited:
I operated with a pretty restrictive gear setup in April, and I didn't hate it, which is why I'm going so similar for this month (just the 20mm f1.7 instead of the 30mm f1.4). The only laxness I employed last time which I won't be doing this time (fingers crossed) is make-up days posting shots not taken on that day. Time to be strict with myself!

As a sort of side note: The GR III stays as long as it works - it's such a good camera that I'll put up with its shortcomings (which, of course, are totally due to my personal preferences and idiosyncrasies).

That said, I have to figure out how to make it work a lot more like the (original) GR. I appear to have tried - though subconsciously - to turn it into some kind of work-alike of the Olympus PEN E-PL7 I used to have, but that was an altogether bad idea. Now I have an in-between that doesn't do what I'm used to - either way. Back to browsing the menus and rearranging things ...

M.

I gave my E-M5 to my daughter, not planning to do any serious photography. A few days later, this challenge caught my eye and interest. So picked up the wife's GF 5, with the 20mm, and it's under exposing terribly. Of course it is in the dungeon, that I use for the wood shop, without a flash. Exposure setting is zero, so not sure what the issue is. The wife has used that combo, for several years, with great results. Must be the operator.

So far, I'm hardly ever using the optical VF although it's not easy shooting off the screen. The problem is I want to see where the AF "spot" is at, even though it's HUGH on that tiny screen, or it's too close to deal with the parallax. I'm also in trouble if I have forgotten my reading glasses since no framing tool is corrected for my vision. The funny part is the 12 mp sensor is doing just fine, thank you, as are all the other controls. Just for kicks, I checked around for a used VF3 or VF2 clip-on evf and they cost more than a used E-P1. :D

Last edited:
Back