Single In Single in July 2020: discussion

I'm kind of finding this setup a bit boring, to be honest. I can't play with DoF quite as much as when I was using the 30mm f1.4,
and it's inconvenient always bringing along the GX9 with grip, while it's just heavy enough that I don't feel like I have a good hold on it gripless. While I've had lots of success with the 20mm for street, it doesn't excite me as a snapshot lens. I'm feeling the GR III a lot more than the GX9 right now.

So far I'm enjoying the combo. But....

AF speed and a bit of occasional hunting means this probably won't be my street/action combo unless I can get comfortable with zone focusing (I'm not counting on it).
I was wondering about that ... But I always wonder about the 20mm f/1.7 II; I still have the original, and from what I gather, the differences are minor, if at all noticeable. Would you agree to that?

So far, the GR is OK. I think its going to be sold, though, eventually. I definitely prefer having the option of an EVF or OVF, but the clipon one I bought to go with it just doesnt satisfy.
Did you get the GV-2 (super-small, but only 28mm framelines - if you can see them) or the GV-1? I have the GV-3 - and while it's small, it just doesn't cut it for framing in any sufficient way ... I sometimes use it for snapping ("street shooting"), but since I have to wear glasses, the experience isn't good at all, eye relief is atrocious, almost as bad as on my FED 3 ... (yes, I'm comparing with an old Russion rangefinder here).

I'm kind of finding this setup a bit boring, to be honest. I can't play with DoF quite as much as when I was using the 30mm f1.4,
and it's inconvenient always bringing along the GX9 with grip, while it's just heavy enough that I don't feel like I have a good hold on it gripless. While I've had lots of success with the 20mm for street, it doesn't excite me as a snapshot lens. I'm feeling the GR III a lot more than the GX9 right now.
Sounds familiar. The lens that really "opened up" the GX9 for me was - after some dithering and mumbling - the 15mm f/1.7; it doesn't solve the DoF "issue" (the 25mm f/1.4 II would ...), but it works very well and produces unique results that are even better than the ones from the 20mm. It's a bit bigger (but not big!) and more expensive - but AF and optics are really top-notch.

M.

Last edited:
Did you get the GV-2 (super-small, but only 28mm framelines - if you can see them) or the GV-1? I have the GV-3 - and while it's small, it just doesn't cut it for framing in any sufficient way ... I sometimes use it for snapping ("street shooting"), but since I have to wear glasses, the experience isn't good at all, eye relief is atrocious, almost as bad as on my FED 3 ... (yes, I'm comparing with an old Russion rangefinder here).

Actualy no, I got one by Fujifilm which was designed to go with the X70. Its quite big and has 28 and 21mm brightlines. Its actually very good though the fit is a bit tight. Perhaps I would use it more if that were not the case.

This is the one (though I think I may have got it on ebay... can’t remember)

Last edited:
Maybe a 1/2 case? I've found them to be great additions.

@agentlossing Andrew, just out of curiosity: Do you protect the GR III in any special way when carrying it? I ask because after April's catastrophe (major piece of debris or dust somewhere in the imaging path, you may remember), I now use a small belt pack to carry it, but frankly, that's somewhat counter-intuitive for the most pocketable APC-C camera on the market, ever ...

M.

@agentlossing Andrew, just out of curiosity: Do you protect the GR III in any special way when carrying it? I ask because after April's catastrophe (major piece of debris or dust somewhere in the imaging path, you may remember), I now use a small belt pack to carry it, but frankly, that's somewhat counter-intuitive for the most pocketable APC-C camera on the market, ever ...

M.
Yes - I use the JJC metal lens cap you can find all over. It engulfs the whole lens assembly and presses over the outer removable ring. Whenever I have the camera in a pocket or toss it in the car or a bag, I have the lens cap on. It adds a bit of bulk, as it's a little deeper than it needs to be, but it beats even the smallest dedicated bag (and bags eventually develop dust inside) and stays pretty clean with the closed-cell foam lining inside. As a side benefit, with the tempered glass screen protector I put on the LCD, this camera feels pretty bombproof (and I've dropped it a couple of times...) and really lives up to the promise of the magnesium alloy body. I highly recommend the lens cap.

The lens is the only area I really worry about dust ingress. While the GR II had stories of ingress from the buttons on the LCD side, I haven't yet heard anything like this with the GR III, and I reason that any dust would be on the sensor side rather than the lens side, easier to handle with the dust reduction system.

Day 9 image, too bad m4/3 has terrible dynamic range.

As shot:
PENS0515-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After edit:
PENS0515.jpg

In case anyone noticed, I am now just using the EP2. Aside from the annoying flashing IS symbol on the LCD, the MF magnification wasn’t working on the EP1. I thought I was setting it wrong but It works just fine on the EP2. It gives me some chance at selective focus.

OK, so I'm again playing around. Same 12 MP sensor, same 17 2.8, but now switching to my equally old E-PL1.
epl1.jpg

Similar to the E-P1 and E-P2 but with NO control dials. Not a one, not even around the D pad. One imaging difference is that the E-PL1 famously had no AA filter. I should have thought of cycling through all my old 12 MP Pens at the beginning of the month, but better late than never. In case anyone is curious, the E-PM1 is next. Unless, of course, Miguel wants to lend me his new E-P3. :D

Last edited:
OK, so I'm again playing around. Same 12 MP sensor, same 17 2.8, but now switching to my equally old E-PL1.
View attachment 228545
Similar to the EP-1 and E-P2 but with NO control dials. Not a one, not even around the D pad. One imaging difference is that the E-PL1 famously had no AA filter. I should have thought of cycling through all my old 12 MP Pens at the beginning of the month, but better late than never. In case anyone is curious, the E-PM1 is next. Unless, of course, Miguel wants to lend me his new E-P3. :D

I owned and used the 2nd generation version of the E-PL1 - the E-PL2 - for several years and have to say, it was a brilliant small camera - and gave me a huge percentage of keepers and great images. I know there are generations of more serious and professionally inclined photographers for whom the E-M1 and its subsequent iterations were daily workhorses - but for my own admittedly eclectic uses and tastes, I have always preferred the smaller 'rangefinder-style' Olympus mu43 bodies (with the possible exceptions of the E-M5 and E-M10). But the PL2 was truly fun to shoot with.

Speaking of older Olympiiii with minimal controls, Matt recently was singing the praises of the 1st generation E-PM1 (aka the Pen Mini if my memory serves me well); the one I lusted after was its newer sibling, the E-PM2 which had a brilliantly upgraded sensor but was tinier than a bug's ear.

But for the time being, Steve, I'm afraid I ain't gonna be able to loan you my E-P3....I'm having too much fun trying to hold it steady for impossible low-light shots ;)

Back