Single In Single in July 2020: discussion

I have achieved my objective: I know how to work successfully with the GR III. Even so, the camera will never be my favourite because it doesn't offer my preferred way of shooting (on the eye), instead delivers a somewhat hampered touchscreen experience, but it's a great performer when it comes to IQ, and its size is unbeatable. Tech is otherwise impressive, too (sensor, I.B.I.S.). So I'm definitely keeping it (I'm sure I have hinted at that before). I may follow Andrew's (@agentlossing) lead and get a slip-on lens cap to make it even more pocketable (because of the dust issue, I don't dare carry it without a protective pouch at the moment - but I've gotten used to attaching that to my belt).

To keep up the "Single in" spirit, I'll continue to use it throughout the month. I just hope it doesn't act up again by sucking in something unwanted (that's an issue that'll never go away, I'm afraid).

M.

Missed posting yesterday - tweaked my back and could barely walk by lunch and into the evening. A bit better today. Had a needle biopsy today and was told to take it easy for a few days. So, looks like I'm out 'til the weekend. I'll keep checking and watching the posts.

Sorry guys, I dropped out. Life has just been too busy, combined with a poor choice of camera on my part. I almost switched to the GR and tried to keep up, but I just don't have the energy when everything else in the day is accounted for. Summer is often like this for me, and I don't sleep as much with the long days.

My photographic interest right now is fully b&w film, which gets developed when I have time and not that regularly.

Please note: I'll be out of town for three days and have no idea what I can do from the place where I'll stay, so I'll set up the required daily threads in advance.

It's possible I'll not be able to post myself - I'll fix that once I'm back.

Just take a little care when picking a thread to post in :)

M.

(Cross-posted to the "Day to Day" discussion thread.)

Well, missed a few more days, so I'm out. Stupid allergies have been kicking my butt, not thinking with a clear head, waking up late with no energy, when I get energy and want to go out it's raining or already getting dark, I fall asleep while trying to think about what photo I can do around the apartment that is not the same old thing over again... I'm going to rest, and spend what energy I do have working on my downsizing project.

Objective met. My goal for the month was to present all of the images in a 1:1 format, and my general theme was "things in nature that are not flowers". The Pen F and old O 38/1.8 film lens work well together, but it was during the challenge that I figured out that focus peaking on the Pen F, at least my copy, is inaccurate. If I highlighted a precise spot, the actual focus was somewhat behind. I discovered that when I was attempting to do a close-up of some blackberries ripening on the vine. I've always enjoyed MF and old film lenses when using various mirrorless cameras, but with the O 45/1.8 and PL 12-60, I'll likely be relying on the G95's AF a lot more. Not that I won't ever put the 38/1.8 on the G95 for a walkabout, but it won't be often.

I can echo Tony - I've also met my objective and established a clear use case for the GR III; I've explored and pinned down what I can do with this camera.

I was prepared to sell it even a few days into the challenge, but it turned out to be a great "visual notebook", and nothing of this size can approach the quality of the results it provides. I'll keep it, and I'll use it as a casual companion from time to time (after it has rested for a while ...).

Organising the challenge was rewarding as always, even if it felt a bit of a stretch at times, but not as often as during past challenges. Summer vacation certainly helped.

But the best thing about it all was the mutual encouragement and appreciation; it's true that we've had times in the past with more discussions, but I think we've managed to make this into something very much worth our time and effort. So, again, my heartfelt thanks to everyone who participated, and all the best to you all!

M.

Back