Single In Single in July 2020: outtakes - day 1 to 8

C8FDDB71-34FC-4D72-8EA2-0E2ED61262A4.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AAD69C4D-C268-4045-A4E3-9F3D8856C544.jpeg

C69FEC3B-A66E-4DB3-AD91-876DBC96A82D.jpeg

86779F90-6B3C-4D03-9EA3-5EF38E2FA5ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Outtakes Day 5 (July 5): Mowing Day

Two more outtakes from Mowing Day - aka the day don José mowed the upper acre of overgrown wild grasses and weeds, early in the morning.

The first was taken with the GRII's in-camera 'positive film' setting--

GRII_July5_Mowing_Day#3(PosFilm).jpg

The second, another from the series, was tweaked in Silver Efex (and Color Efex too) for a monochrome look which somehow felt much closer to the spirit of this particular image, to me at least.

GRII_July5_Mowing_Day#4(SilverEfex+gg).jpg

Last edited:

I believe you have said on one or two occasions that the GR III seems to shine in closer shots - where the photographer is in close (or closer) to the subject - but this photograph seems to suggest two things to me: first, that perhaps the GR III is also quite good at wider landscape-like views - and second that you are expanding your already broad horizons - of what you can do with this little camera with a great lens - by leaps and bounds.

That's the long version. The short version is: this is a very cool photo. And I really like it.

I'm posting one more set of 'Outtakes' from my Day 5 which are technically not really outtakes from SiJ - for which I am only using my GRii this month - but, rather, additional 'take' of the same subject - which was 'Mowing Day' for the field of overgrown grass above my old farmhouse. These particular 'outtakes' were taken by another camera, my little X30 (which I'm using for Day-to-Day) but as they offer a different look at the same subject, they seem to belong.

The man in question is don José, who has been farming and driving tractors for decades; here, after finishing the mowing, he is expounding on his many mowing and gardening stories---

X30_July5_don_José(SilverEfex).jpg

Here, he is making a point--

X30_July5_don_José#3(SilverEfex).jpg

And here, he is simply waxing lyrical - as well as enjoying the warmth of an Oregon summer morning---

X30_July5_don_José#5(super+punch).jpg

I believe you have said on one or two occasions that the GR III seems to shine in closer shots - where the photographer is in close (or closer) to the subject - but this photograph seems to suggest two things to me: first, that perhaps the GR III is also quite good at wider landscape-like views - and second that you are expanding your already broad horizons - of what you can do with this little camera with a great lens - by leaps and bounds.

That's the long version. The short version is: this is a very cool photo. And I really like it.
Thanks a lot, Miguel. The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is the fact that forum compression crushes the subtle detail in the foreground and renders the shadows very dark; the original is a tad less bold, but better balanced. Yes, the GR III is a real powerhouse. But I'm struggling with the handling, especially the framing - however, reconfiguring Touch AF makes a noticeable difference (I had it set to "AF and release" - like I used to do on the Olympus E-PL7 - but the smaller form factor made usingt that as accurately as necessary too awkward for me; new setting: AF point setting only ...).

M.

Two outtakes from my subject-of-the-day, an ancient and tiny Japanese doll, who is perched on the edge of a modern Japanese-designed laser printer, in my living room - two more shots, each processed in a different way.

The first in color---

GRII_July7_Japanese_Doll#2(ColorEfex).jpg

The second in monochrome, a lightly-tweaked version of the GRII's in-camera 'Hi-Contrast B&W' setting--

GRII_July7_Japanese_Doll(Hi-ContrB&W).jpg

Back