Name
Matt
Start Date
Jul 17, 2020
End Date
Jul 24, 2020
And on we go ...

L1002499.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

I really like this shot, Don. But (confession follows) I think possibly I like your official entry for July 19 - of "the old train car washroom" - even more. There is something almost timeless about it.

And, at the same time, I'm curious -- how 'old' is the train, exactly? And where is it - or where did you find it?

I really like this shot, Don. But (confession follows) I think possibly I like your official entry for July 19 - of "the old train car washroom" - even more. There is something almost timeless about it.

And, at the same time, I'm curious -- how 'old' is the train, exactly? And where is it - or where did you find it?
Thanks Miguel, both of those images were taken a the Galveston Railroad Museum. They have a lot of old trains on display at what was once a major railway hub. Pre-COVID they offered the occasional excursion ride.
The washroom image is from a sleeper car dating back to the prime days of rail travel in the US, 1920-50. Those cars were in daily service for many years. The image here is from a really old steam locomotive built around 1920. Amazing to look at today it was, as all the historical trains there, almost completely submerged during the Harvey Hurricane in 2017. Cleaned up since then but open to the elements most of the time. This is a good museum to visit during the pandemic as it is mostly outdoors and rarely attracts many visitors at a time.

Last edited:
Alluded to the weather and the forecast for the rest of the month... remember this is "the desert". It's now the wet season here.
original.jpg

Got soaked just from the little white compact pickup to the apartment.
original.jpg

I need to re-treat my rain jacket with water repellent.
original.jpg

Back