Single in July (SiJy) 2019: Who's in?

Ohhhhhhh ... I wanna go completely wildcard with a DJI Osmo Pocket ... would a very, very short video each day be okay or is that a completely insane idea? I can’t promise it will be artistic or if I will even reach day 2 but .... it’s Friday night, the sun is shining in Scotland on the longest day so I’m open to making mad decisions on a whim! Reign me in if need be.

List updated - wow, this looks really nice; interesting trends emerging as well as a great crowd already :D

@Briar Even though I'm not completely sure it's viable because I don't have the faintest about video editing, I'd say let's try this ... And if you want to switch during the month, nobody will object to you changing your gear.

M.

EDIT: Completed the truncated sentence ...

Last edited:
List updated - wow, this looks really nice; interesting trends emerging as well as a great crowd already :D

@Briar Even though I'm not completely sure it's viable because I don't have the faintest about video editing, I'd say let's try this ... And if you want to switch during the month, nobody will think

M.
Can I nominate one more exception? That if @theoldsmithy is up for participating that he be able to use any gear within his reach on any particular day. Being on crutches for a few weeks there might be days when different sized kit might be easier to handle at times.

@Kevin We've always allowed gear changes in any kind of emergency; and if Martin's situation doesn't count, I wouldn't know what does. I think he made a pretty shrewed choice anyway - the G7 is a sufficiently light camera and the 12-60mm a very versatile little lens ...

@theoldsmithy Martin, of course you can do it your way, whatever that may be; but feel free to wait until you can judge the situation ...

M.

@Kevin We've always allowed gear changes in any kind of emergency; and if Martin's situation doesn't count, I wouldn't know what does. I think he made a pretty shrewed choice anyway - the G7 is a sufficiently light camera and the 12-60mm a very versatile little lens ...

@theoldsmithy Martin, of course you can do it your way, whatever that may be; but feel free to wait until you can judge the situation ...

M.
It is a very handleable camera, and with a neck strap I should be OK. But I appreciate the option to change my mind.

@Briar Even though I'm not completely sure it's viable because I don't have the faintest about video editing, I'd say let's try this ... And if you want to switch during the month, nobody will think

M.

Can you keep a secret? I don’t know anything about video editing either! :drinks:

Hi everybody! This may be what I need to get back into the Cameraderie fold. My latest camera infatuation is with a recently acquired Nikon Z6, so that is what I will use. As to a lens, it will be the 24-70mm 4.0 S or the 14-30mm 4.0 S, whichever one happens to be on the camera on the 1st.

Cheers,

Antonio
Nice way of choosing gear, looking forward to the results! :)

I'll just mention here that the Z6 works so well for me that being restricted to it doesn't present enough of a "challenge" for me personally, which is particularily true when using the surprisingly versatile and capable 24-70mm f/4. Truth be told, the Z6 is what I'll probably reach for whenever I don't feel like shooting the SiJy setup but still want super-nice results (or one of the primes for lower light or more more specific subjects); that may happen because I'll keep the SiJy setup ready at all times, but will also try to keep away from other parts of the chosen system to suppress any temptations of watering down the objective ...

A completely personal remark: I'd love an opportunity to witness the 14-30mm in everyday action - but of course, your choice is absolutely up to you (y)

M.

I’m in. Pen-F with 17.
@Hanneke will also participate. XT20 with (she just confirmed) 35 f2.
Great to have you both aboard again :) That will be the 17mm f/1.8, I assume?

List updated for today.

As an afterthought: I *will* go for the M10 with 75mm f/2.4 Summarit-M; in the first couple of days, I'll carry the GR as an emergency backup because I'll be extremely busy and thus may need something to get the odd snapshot if everything else fails.

M.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’ll be the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8 (and hood) in silver trim on a silver Olympus Pen-F with ECG-4 grip. It fits a Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 10, which fits my daily bag so I should be good.

35mm is my least favorite fixed focal length. I prefer 24 or 40/50 over 35. Let’s see what I can do with it.

Last edited:
I'll be joining the challenge after making my decision on the gear to use. I'm going rather retro and using a Panasonic GF1 with a Samyang 12mm f/2 lens and an original Voigtlander 12mm Mk1 viewfinder. The rear screen has a flip out screen protector and for handheld shots I won't be consulting the rear screen, so framing might be a bit hit and miss. For any tripod mounted shots I will use the rear screen to set up the framing of the shot. To further facilitate my aim not to use the rear screen I'll be exposure bracketing my shots so I can pick the best exposed one when I view them on the computer screen. Given the fully manual nature of the lens I'll be able to zone focus for my shots. I'm not sure how much more old fashioned I can get in this digital age whilst using a digital camera.

190623-1080121.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190623-1080118.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the past I've tried to commit myself to photographing within my parish, but it's a little on the small side so given the longer hours of daylight I will probably take the opportunity to venture outside the parish from time to time so as to ring the changes from previous challenges.

Barrie

That last post has helped me make my decision - 21mm lens (Zeiss Biogon) with external optical VF. I don't use it that often and the reason is probably because getting a point of interest within such a wide FL is not easy. Plus the process of having to manually focus and only after that, compose. Having to use it every day will force the thought process.

That last post has helped me make my decision - 21mm lens (Zeiss Biogon) with external optical VF. I don't use it that often and the reason is probably because getting a point of interest within such a wide FL is not easy. Plus the process of having to manually focus and only after that, compose. Having to use it every day will force the thought process.
Sorry, but I have to ask: Which camera? I have to admit to not knowing your gear enough to glean it from the lens ... the mention of an external VF makes me think Leica M, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the results from that lens :)

M.

Sorry, but I have to ask: Which camera? I have to admit to not knowing your gear enough to glean it from the lens ... the mention of an external VF makes me think Leica M, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the results from that lens :)

M.
Ah yes sorry, Leica M-E. Not the new one, based on the M240, but the older one based on the M9. Plus the Leica optical VF proudly snaffled up for $20 on eBay.

Ah yes sorry, Leica M-E. Not the new one, based on the M240, but the older one based on the M9. Plus the Leica optical VF proudly snaffled up for $20 on eBay.
The M 262 is - for better or worse - no M-E, though it's about as bare-bones as they come. But it feels decidedly in-between - it's very quiet, but somehow doesn't feel like a powerhouse in quite the same way as the M10, it's just a tad slow ... it would probably make a very suitable SiJy body. But I haven't had time to enjoy the M10 lately, so the M10 it remains.

List updated.

M.

Last edited:
Back