Single in July (SiJy) 2019: Who's in?

Name
Matt
It's that time of year again ...

A while ago we agreed on trying the "Single in" challenges at different times during the year, adopting a nine-month cycle as an attempt to break away from recurring subject matter. This time, we're hitting summer in the northern hemisphere and mid-winter in the south. This should be fun and a nice change to previous occastions.

I'm taking the liberty to invite all of you to take part once more; the basic rules of a "Single in" contest are as follows:
  • Take and post one image per day during one month; each image doesn't have to be posted on the same day it was taken, but regular participation is appreciated. You may or may not pick a specific theme or subject matter as well - all decisions in this regard are up to you.
  • Specify the gear you're going to use for the whole challenge - and stick to it as far as possible; while it's not necessary, let alone mandatory to restrict yourself to the chosen setup during the whole month, experience shows that this may boost creativity.
  • Interact with other participants, talk about the images you take and see, your own experiences, - in short, let's talk shop, have fun together and support each other; this way, we'll see everyone through (which, if I may say so as a non-native speaker, is a really nice figure of speech, especially concerning photography). Of course, there will again be appropriate threads for "behind the scenes" talk as well as outtakes and everything else we see fit.
N.B. With Bill taking a well-earned break from setting up and managing the daily threads, we'll have to find another way to make it happen - maybe someone will step in (those downunder start the day way earlier, btw.),or maybe we'll just have to rely on each other to keep things going. If no other solution presents itself, I'll try to keep it rolling myself, even though I'm in for rough start, what with term ending right at the beginning of July, but not to worry, it'll only be a couple of tight days ...

I'll updated this post with a list of participants; feel free to comment and discuss the proposed challenge - we can adapt and specify pretty much every detail. I myself may be a bit slow to answer at certain times, but I'll do my best to keep up with things and document them for everyone.

Participants and their chosen gear:
I hope you'll join me; see you soon :cool:

[Mostly accurate as of: 17th July 2019, 07:05 CEST]

M.

Last edited:
Just got to agree on the gear. It was easy previously as I could always pick out something anew which I hadn’t used in ages. That’s not the case now, all peripheral stuff has been sold off which means I’d be using gear I’m extremely familiar with and use all the time. Might see what used dirt cheap used point & shoots are for sale at Georges Cameras, Sydney.

Last edited:
A first for me, I'll be participating.

Camera choice is easy, Sony A7R2, because that's my main camera and I don't have any other system. Lens will be the Voigtländer FE 1.2/40 as that to me is the most versatile lens and I want a lens I like and am familiar with; it'll be difficult enough to come up with something every day, but I like the challenge and that I can see what my fellow members here will do and talk about.

I will need to be on crutches for a few weeks, but maybe I can take some photos when I'm sitting down.
That could make it more interesting in that you'd be challenging yourself to find creativity within confines. Might make for some nice opportunities for macro shots and shots from unusual perspectives. If nothing else, ever watch Hitchcock's Rear Window? :D

I predict it'll be a failure* for me but I could consider my M240 + 50 Heliar. Make good acquaintance with the focal length.

*Been shooting so much over my holiday the past 6-8 weeks that I might fall into a shooting slumber for a good month or so, when I go back to work.

But count me in

List updated.

@theoldsmithy All the best, get well soon - and remember that every little thing helps with recovery, above all having something to live up to and look forward to. Photography might be just the thing ...

@addieleman @Matero @mike3996 You have given me some quite concrete ideas ... Leica M 262 with Voigtlländer Ultron 35mm f/2; Leica M10 with Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.2 (that's from you, Ad) - seeing as my EDC is the M8 with Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2, this may not count as enough of a "challenge" though, at least the 35mm option ... hm ... Maybe using a more "difficult" lens might do it ... The Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 is a great performer, but I'm not yet familiar enough with it; it'd also mean a break away from my usual 35mm-e fixation (the 50mm would do that, too). Yes, it may be time to go tele (I think it'd be a first).

M.

I'm in. My current thinking is the XE3 with the 27. XH1 is not in the running. Too big to be a tote everywhere camera. The other possibility was the A7 with the 35, but, to be honest, the high iso noise on the Fuji is about the same as that of the older FF sensor in the A7. Once that becomes true, there isn't much reason to use the FF. So the only real other choices are going with the 35 1.4 or (the bold choice of) the 14 2.8. Both make the XE3 a bit bigger and you have to carry this combination around everywhere to really work this challenge. It's hard to beat that combination of size and sharpness of the 27. Since I'm not a big portrait shooter, the little extra DoF is actually welcome, and the 27 has this amazing corner to corner sharpness at 5.6.

Last edited:
Back