Single in July (SiJy) 2019: Who's in?

So, which lens to choose for this challenge?

Definitely not the 16/1.4, I used that last time I think - plus I use it a lot so won't be much of a challenge.

Possibles: 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 or 100-400 (I plan to be taking bird pictures towards the end of July)

I don't think that the 90/2 would be a good choice because it gets a lot of use already, and I want this to be a challenge.

The 100-400 isn't really feasible as a walk-around lens unless I am definitely looking for wildlife pics.

So, this leaves my two least used lenses, the 35/1.4 and 56/1.2.

I am leaning heavily towards the 35/1.4 because of size and general usefulness - plus it has a properly "old school" focal length (in 35mm field of view terms). Also, it is a lens that I don't use much and I think it is one that I need to work with more.

Any opinions?

Yep, I'll play.

Learning my new EM5 MKII and possibly the 14-150mkii for a weatherproof combo on holidays...
With that kind of super-nice portable combo (I own and love the lens for what it is, and for a couple of years, the E-M10 was my travel camera), only low-light shooting will be challenging (to a degree) - that's tantamount to cheating :p

Don't mind me, just waffling ;) Seriously, happy to have you in, and your choice is entirely up to you. The challenge *is* a very good way to get to know new gear.

For perpective, when you've been at it for some time, even normal lenses (especially fast ones) will start to look like an easy pick, so it'd be quite unfair to judge anyone's choice - just use whatever you like, the main goal of the whole thing is to make the experience worthwhile and fun!

M.

That last post has helped me make my decision - 21mm lens (Zeiss Biogon) with external optical VF. I don't use it that often and the reason is probably because getting a point of interest within such a wide FL is not easy. Plus the process of having to manually focus and only after that, compose. Having to use it every day will force the thought process.
Er, might change that to a D800E/ Nokton 58mm F1.4. I don't use the Nokton a lot either yet I should, it's a superb lens. Also it's winter here in Sydney, which means it's dark by 5pm, so that faster aperture will serve me better throughout the month.

What the heck, I'll try. Haven't been too successful with these in the past, but we'll see.

Gear, I'm torn. Steve has already said he's going to use the X-E3 and 27mm, so I'm tempted to rule the X-E3 out entirely since my other two body options aren't on the list yet. So it will be the X70 or E-M1 mkII with a PL25mm & S56mm f/1.4 combo. I think I'll skip the zooms and see if I can push myself with the primes.

Forewarning you may get a bunch of images of my kitchen and bath remodel. The remodel is more than 1/2 way done; but re-organizing, figuring out where everything is going to go NOW has just begun. Or a bunch of pictures of my cats. If this was last month I'm sure it would have been a lot of pictures of the remodel. It would have been an easy theme, but probably not really exciting for anyone but us.

I really NEED to do this. Thanks for forcing my hand. Either Lumix 20/1.7, Fujian 35/1.6, or Olympus 45/1.8. Decisions, decisions. I have a few days to decide.

Maybe stretch further to square? to b&w?
Well, it's up to you - but if you've never done it before, go easy on the restrictions - I'd choose a lens you're familiar and comfortable with, and I honestly limit myself in terms of subject matter and/or presentation; if, however, you do have the time and opportunity to make it work, go for it, by all means. If in doubt, choose something versatile - the 20mm f/1.7 is a great lens for the task.

What camera will you be using?

List updated.

M.

It's now over 30 hours since I indicated my intention to take part in the challenge (post #34), I specified my choice of gear with no and's. ifs. but's or caveats, however my name or gear choice have been ignored and not appeared on the participants list whereas everyone who signed up after me, included one just minutes after who had the courtesy to acknowledge that my choice had lead him to make his choice, have all appeared on the list, some within minutes of posting. That lack of interest in my post has now lead to my losing interest in the challenge. I'm sure I can find other things to occupy my time. So I'm out, I hope all participants enjoy the challenge, good luck to you and goodbye.

Barrie

Barrie, please reconsider. I’ve always looked forward to your contributions in the past. Your post has not been overlooked: several people (including me) have stated they liked your entry. Remember that Matt has volunteered to get this started and that he is just as human as we all are. We all make mistakes at times. But it’s up to you.

It's now over 30 hours since I indicated my intention to take part in the challenge (post #34), I specified my choice of gear with no and's. ifs. but's or caveats, however my name or gear choice have been ignored and not appeared on the participants list whereas everyone who signed up after me, included one just minutes after who had the courtesy to acknowledge that my choice had lead him to make his choice, have all appeared on the list, some within minutes of posting. That lack of interest in my post has now lead to my losing interest in the challenge. I'm sure I can find other things to occupy my time. So I'm out, I hope all participants enjoy the challenge, good luck to you and goodbye.

Barrie
This being entirely my fault, I apologise - I certainly had seen your entry, but failed to update the list. I make mistakes like the next man. Very sorry about that.

I would really like you to stay in - don't rob everyone of the pleasure of your contributions just because I messed up. Just say the word, I'll amend the list ASAP.

M.

Good evening again guys. Firstly I must apologise for my previous post earlier this evening venting a degree of frustration in an inappropriate manner.

Ok, I'm back in, that's your fault Marlof posting that link to our original challenge on SeriousCompacts. I've been through every page recalling the banter in the lead up to the challenge, there was my first hint at having a challenge in the Australian winter which was really just a leg pull for Mark, but look what it's lead to, a challenge in July as well as the one last October. Also it bought to mind several people on there we are no longer in contact with, sad. Then I got out the slim book that was produced showing our best two shots each and further fond memories were bought to mind.

Now to rekindle that spirit, onwards and upwards, so goodnight and good luck.

Barrie

Back