Single in July (SiJy) 2019: Who's in?

.....I still need data from @davidzvi as to what he's going to use; I'm also not sure what lenses @ajramirez (he'll post late, I'm fine with that), @AndyMcD and @Bobby Tingle have chosen (though I think the latter two will both use the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4); @drd1135 and @Matero just need to comfirm their picks.

Less than eight hours to go until it's gone midnight downunder and things can run their course.

List updated.

M.
I think I'm going change my mind and go with the X70 for the challenge.

@MoonMind Matt, I’m going to change my mind at the last minute and use the RX100m3. It’ll be a good way to get to know what the camera can do.
Fanastic to have you on board, and the choice is entirely adequate!

Okay, folks, I think we're mostly there. It's gone midnight in Melbourne, July 1st is upon us :D

@ajramirez @drd1135 @Matero You still have time (some of you quite a lot - that's specifically true for our American friends) to indicate your final choices.

Interesting list of gear for this challenge.
Absolutely! I just realised that all premium fixed-lens 28mm-e cameras are present. In general, Fujifilm reigns supreme, but I'm quite surprised that Leica is about as well represented as Sony (and more so than Canon or Nikon). As for the lens choices, I really love it this time around - we'll see a load of original approaches simply because of such dedicated choices.

M.

Last edited:
Because I hadnt really considered exactly what I would be shooting, I realised as I decided on land/seascapes, that my decision to use the 50-200mm on my K5 on wet days just wouldnt work for me, so I am going to be using the 18-55mm WR instead. But thats not today.

Oops. Flat battery on TZ90. So I need to go now before I need to sleep again, so I have change my mind yet again. Still the K5 + 18-55 for wet days, but on the other days, the K5 + DA 15mm f/4 Ltd. Its a decent lens for landscapes and I havent used it much for about 4 years. time to resurrect. And the battery on the K5 is charged up and ready to go. As am I. :)

Last edited:
Some people keep switching gear - and I admit I do have a hard time following all that. Sticking with your gear (if feasible) is kind of part of the challenge, but I acknowledge it's not enforced ... Still, I'd appreciate some sort of notice in this thread, or I'll end up mucking things up unintentionally ...

M

The 14-30mm 4.0 S happened to be on the Z6 when I picked it up tonight, so that will be my kit for the month.

Cheers,

Antonio
Great, thanks - that's fantastic, I'm quite interested in that lens myself (though I'm not enough of a super-wide guy to justify buying it, probably - but maybe another Si* can change that).

It's harder than I thought, temptation is a b***h!
There's no reason to *restrict* yourself to your chosen gear - just do the challenge with it. I always(!) shoot multiple cameras alongside each other.

That said, why *not* use the 40D? I think it's a fun choice!

M.

There's no reason to *restrict* yourself to your chosen gear - just do the challenge with it. I always(!) shoot multiple cameras alongside each other.

That said, why *not* use the 40D? I think it's a fun choice!
That's what I thought, as long as I'm motivated to create, I don't need the gear limitation as a guidance. I brought the 24 2.8 pancake with the 40D today and so far I've had some keepers. Really can't say enough how rewarding it feels after seeing the 40D files. I miss the EVF though.

Great, thanks - that's fantastic, I'm quite interested in that lens myself (though I'm not enough of a super-wide guy to justify buying it, probably - but maybe another Si* can change that).

Super wide lenses are a whole lot of fun. Couldn’t live without one (or four...).

The 14-30mm has turned out to be a cracking lens, and I would recommend it without reservations. Stories of decentered lenses abound on the net, so make sure you get a good copy.

Another lens you may consider, for your Leica Ms, is the Zeiss 18mm f4 ZM. Sharp and fairly distortionless. Didn’t seem to play all that well with the Z though.

Of course, the mighty Zeiss 15mm 2.8 ZF.2 is simply outstanding. Built like a tank. Plays very nicely with the Z6 via the FTZ.

The Nikon 12-24mm DX rounds out my arsenal. The least impressive of the bunch, but still pretty good. Picked it up used for a song. Useless on the Z though because of the crop.

Cheers,

Antonio

Back